DCP 'admonishes' BYU in his blog

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Chap
_Emeritus

DCP 'admonishes' BYU in his blog

Post by _Chap »

Worth a look:

Three Brief Allusions to BYU’s Past, Followed by a Very Concise Implicit Admonition

Briefly, he tells us:

1. His mission President's wife's father decided not to send his daughter to BYU, lest she lose her testimony

2. In the 1980s a friend living in the house of a deceased famous BYU professor not noted for the fervor of his religious expression said "... at night, when everything is very quiet, you can hear his voice whispering ‘There is no God!’”

3. The BYU Faculty were not always devoted to the study of the Book of Mormon. Indeed "the Book of Mormon was long neglected in the Church and at BYU, and it hadn’t been all that long before my arrival in Provo that teachers at BYU were arguing that there simply wasn’t enough content in the Book of Mormon to keep a class going for even a semester, let alone a year." (Judging by the complete failure of Joseph Smith to use the Book of Mormon in public teaching, it would seem they were not alone in their sentiments - my note.)

He then says this:

Implicit Admonition

Elder Jeffrey R. Holland has famously observed that “this Church is always only one generation away from extinction,” and Brigham Young University is, or should be, an important bulwark against that horrifying, if for the Church as a whole (though, sadly, not for individuals and specific families) perhaps only theoretical, possibility.

I think that this is as far as DCP dares go in calling his employer to repentance for their apostasy in the matter of the Maxwell Institute and his expulsion therefrom. Will BYU notice?
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Drifting
_Emeritus

Re: DCP 'admonishes' BYU in his blog

Post by _Drifting »

One wonders wether or not DCP has become BYU/MI's own online malevolent stalker...
“We look to not only the spiritual but also the temporal, and we believe that a person who is impoverished temporally cannot blossom spiritually.”
Keith McMullin - Counsellor in Presiding Bishopric

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

Drifting wrote:One wonders wether or not DCP has become BYU/MI's own online malevolent stalker...

Not much wondering is required. DCP is clearly trying.

Unlike our own Dr. Scratch, however, DCP would rather support his positions with opinions and feelings than with facts derived from solid intel. When this approach eventually falls short, DCP will have failed on as an apologist and as a malevolent stalker.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Drifting wrote:One wonders whether or not DCP has become BYU/MI's own online malevolent stalker...

Pearl clutcher clutches pearls. News at 11....

And the quote from Brother Holland? You've got to be kidding me. The Church is a lot stronger than that, or at least its membership is.

I should say, though, that I haven't clicked the link and read the text from which the Holland quote is taken (I don't have time this morning as I am still dealing with the aftermath of the hurricane in the lives myself and my students) and thus do not know if the excised quote as used is reflective of its original context or is another "Camus."
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Blixa wrote:
Drifting wrote:One wonders whether or not DCP has become BYU/MI's own online malevolent stalker...

Pearl clutcher clutches pearls. News at 11....

And the quote from Brother Holland? You've got to be kidding me. The Church is a lot stronger than that, or at least its membership is.

I should say, though, that I haven't clicked the link and read the text from which the Holland quote is taken (I don't have time this morning as I am still dealing with the aftermath of the hurricane in the lives myself and my students) and thus do not know if the excised quote as used is reflective of its original context or is another "Camus."

Actually the Holland quote does not seem to have been aimed at BYU at all, but at parents in general, even though it was delivered at BYU

Jeffrey R. Holland was BYU president when this devotional address was given on 25 August 1981 during Campus Education Week.

Brother Christensen said another thing which has impressed me for these many years and which I share with you this morning. It is the simple suggestion—in light of our schools and Education Week and why you're here and what it means to be a parent or a child in this Church—a simple reminder that this Church is always only one generation away from extinction. That does not change however many decades old we are now. It was true in 1840, it was true in 1891, and is true in 1981. We are always just one generation away from extinction. All we would have to do, I assume, to destroy this work is stop teaching our children for one generation. Just everybody stop, close the books, seal up your heart, keep your mouth shut, and don't bear a testimony. In one generation it would be 1820 all over again. We could hunt around and find somebody to go out and pray in a grove of trees. With the blessings of the Lord, we could get six people together to organize a church. We could hand Samuel Smith a Book of Mormon and say, "Go knock on the door and see if we can start somewhere." That could happen. It won't happen. It mustn't happen. It won't happen in 1981 or 1991, but it could if we ceased to accept the obligation upon us, always upon those who have known and believed the truth, to teach it, especially to their children. I am not minimizing other help. We think even BYU can help. But while there are other weighty matters in the kingdom for the disciples, parents and guardians must not wait.

The extra stuff:

... and Brigham Young University is, or should be, an important bulwark against that horrifying, if for the Church as a whole (though, sadly, not for individuals and specific families) perhaps only theoretical, possibility [of extinction in one generation].

is just DCP, and contrasts with Holland's joky aside "We think even BYU can help". But DCP is clearly in deadly earnest.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

I feel old. I was attending BYU when Holland was BYU President.
_kairos
_Emeritus

Post by _kairos »

Holland speaks truth- if a couple of things come together at relatively the same time, the lds church is toast. First an apostle decides it is all BS and he cannot take it anymore from apersonal integrity standpoint; second there is a major financial scandal; 3) the Book of Mormon evidences for being a true history are refuted by a finding from the early days that Joseph Smith made it all up- the members will leave in droves and the chruch will not be able to carryon beoing attacked on every side by truth.

just sayin- in fact it may become extinct in less than a decade;by the way what are used lds temples good for-homeless shelters?
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

The sky is falling!
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

kairos wrote:by the way what are used lds temples good for-homeless shelters?

Perhaps Masonic Lodges?
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

It is important to remember that Dr. Peterson had all this fall on him like a ton of bricks and that it takes time to recover from such deep wounds.

Besides, someone is always being admonished at BYU for something.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace