Advent - a Question for our non-LDS Christian Members

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Re: Advent - a Question for our non-LDS Christian Members

Post by _MsJack »

honorentheos wrote:I owe you a debt for your links and sharing your experiences. The Huntsman information that you shared made up the core of the reading and explaination for Advent.

That's awesome to hear, honor. I'll have to let Eric know. I'm sure he'll be delighted.

honorentheos wrote:You might find it funny that when I mentioned the reason we would include scripture from the Book of Mormon is that our families on both sides are Mormon, my daughter said, "What?! That means we're Mormon?!" I told her that was a discussion for a different time. :smile:

That's funny.

honorentheos wrote:Also, you and your family are in our thoughts as well, MsJack. I wish you the best tomorrow.

Thanks and thanks. I'm not too worried about the appointment because, as I see it, my daughter is the way she is, and I'm used to her behavior by now. This can only help me by giving me information about what she has, so I'm kind of eager to hear it.
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

honorentheos wrote:Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread. My family started our own new advent tradition tonight (an admittedly multi-cultural spiritual, rather than purely Christian, event for us).

I thought I'd share this little tidbit: Building on the ideas Chap had shared, I made use of the symbolism of absolute darkness, into which came the single candle of hope by which we read the selected scriptures and quotes. Being 11, my daughter is not exactly scared of the dark, but she was quick to note how darkness can make us afraid and feel alone.

When we finished and she was walking away to get ready for bed, she flipped on an electric light and said, "Dad, I've never appreciated how special light is as I do right now."

Again, thank you to everyone who shared a little of your light with my family.

(by the way - this was the version of "O Come O Come Emmanuel" chosen for tonight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecnS6q2TWC4)

Gracious! I did not spend all those hours in church in vain!

Glad you found this worth while.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

honorentheos wrote:
Also, you and your family are in our thoughts as well, MsJack. I wish you the best tomorrow.

X2
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Fence Sitter wrote:
honorentheos wrote:
Also, you and your family are in our thoughts as well, MsJack. I wish you the best tomorrow.

X2

And me.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

I am so sorry I didn't get it together in time to prepare some sort of advent ritual at my house this year---not even a calendar!
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Always Changing
_Emeritus

Post by _Always Changing »

Blixa wrote:I am so sorry I didn't get it together in time to prepare some sort of advent ritual at my house this year---not even a calendar!
It is not too late.
Problems with auto-correct:
In Helaman 6:39, we see the Badmintons, so similar to Skousenite Mormons, taking over the government and abusing the rights of many.
_hobo1512
_Emeritus

Post by _hobo1512 »

Turned out to be a Kumbaya thread after all.....LOL
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Lucy Harris wrote:
Blixa wrote:I am so sorry I didn't get it together in time to prepare some sort of advent ritual at my house this year---not even a calendar!
It is not too late.

True. If I get through this batch of grading in the next day or so, Semi-Advent will commence!
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

Today being the first day of Advent, I thought I'd resurrect this thread with the link in MsJack's blog:

Advent Worship Ideas within Mormonism
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa