Jesus and Satan as Spirit Brothers

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_KevinSim
_Emeritus

Jesus and Satan as Spirit Brothers

Post by _KevinSim »

What's the big deal about the LDS belief that Jesus is Satan's brother? It seems to always come up when Biblical Christians try to criticize the LDS Church. What's their point? Granted that the Bible never explicitly says that Jesus is Satan's spirit brother, but the Bible also never explicitly says that so-and-so was Jesus' biological first cousin; does that mean that Jesus had no biological first cousins? There are a lot of things that the Bible doesn't say that are in fact quite true.
KevinSim

Reverence the eternal.
_The Erotic Apologist
_Emeritus

Re: Jesus and Satan as Spirit Brothers

Post by _The Erotic Apologist »

I don't know...maybe it's just a case of my-Jesus-is-better-than-your-Jesus.
Surprise, surprise, there is no divine mandate for the Church to discuss and portray its history accurately.
--Yahoo Bot

I pray thee, sir, forgive me for the mess. And whether I shot first, I'll not confess.
--Han Solo, from William Shakespeare's Star Wars
_TrashcanMan79
_Emeritus

Post by _TrashcanMan79 »

I think part of the criticism stems from mainstream Christians' belief that Satan is a created being, while Jesus is eternal and uncreated. If I recall correctly, mainstream Christians consider the LDS belief contradictory to 1 Colossians 1:16-17:

For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

I'm thinking that maybe Christians believe devils (including Satan) are counted as "dominions, or principalities, or powers."
_Nightlion
_Emeritus

Post by _Nightlion »

I know recreational adolescent LDS unthinking traditions that are vacant of Restoration Scripture understanding have long supposed that Jesus was merely our Elder Brother and that somehow since Satan preferred a plan he was on equal footing. This is a great error. To wit:

Jesus was the Firstborn and Only Begotten of the Father from the beginning. The fact is Satan was just another organized intelligence like all humans in the beginning. Jesus never was called from the light and given and independent existence. In fact Jesus the Only Begotten of the Father IS God the Eternal Father in this regard as is our Heavenly Father who sits upon the throne of his power.

Both Amulek and Abinidi testify in the Book of Mormon that Jesus Christ is the Very Eternal Father:

Alma 11: 38-39
38 Now Zeezrom saith again unto him: Is the Son of God the very Eternal Father?
39 And Amulek said unto him: Yea, he is the very Eternal Father of heaven and of earth, and ball things which in them are; he is the beginning and the end, the first and the last;

I am quoting more than I need to because its all good:
Mosiah 15:
1 And now Abinadi said unto them: I would that ye should understand that God himself shall come down among the children of men, and shall redeem his people.
2 And because he dwelleth in flesh he shall be called the Son of God, and having subjected the flesh to the will of the Father, being the Father and the Son—
3 The Father, because he was conceived by the power of God; and the Son, because of the flesh; thus becoming the Father and Son—
4 And they are one God, yea, the very Eternal Father of heaven and of earth.
5 And thus the flesh becoming subject to the Spirit, or the Son to the Father, being one God, suffereth temptation, and yieldeth not to the temptation, but suffereth himself to be mocked, and scourged, and cast out, and disowned by his people.
6 And after all this, after working many mighty miracles among the children of men, he shall be led, yea, even as Isaiah said, as a sheep before the shearer is dumb, so he opened not his mouth.
7 Yea, even so he shall be led, crucified, and slain, the flesh becoming subject even unto death, the will of the Son being swallowed up in the will of the Father.
8 And thus God breaketh the bands of death, having gained the victory over death; giving the Son power to make intercession for the children of men—

Non thinking and non in tune LDS musing have thus far failed to plumb the depths of these scripture and the general church population remains ignorant of it treasure of understanding that it unfolds.

Jesus Christ was with the Father and the Holy Ghost when together they all acted as the Very Eternal Father to call forth all intelligence into independent spheres of existences as spoken to in D&C 29 and 93 especially.

All conceptions of God are accomlished by the word of their power which are their commandments and not by any carnal nor sensual means. They are not sexual being and they did not come by way of the seeds of sexual procreation. The reason Jesus is called the Son of God is because in this world he DID come by way of natural birth of the mother.

Yet in the beginning Christ was God from all eternity. And Satan was just another intelligence who refused to continue and keep his first estate because he wanted to ascend up and take the honor and power away from God.

I suppose the Christians will concede that God is the father of Satan.....??? what do you think? Jesus and Satan are in no way brothers.

Please read both D&C sections cited before you attempt to correct me please.
The Apocalrock Manifesto and Wonders of Eternity: New Mormon Theology
https://www.docdroid.net/KDt8RNP/the-apocalrock-manifesto.pdf
https://www.docdroid.net/IEJ3KJh/wonders-of-eternity-2009.pdf
My YouTube videos:HERE
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

KevinSim wrote:What's the big deal about the LDS belief that Jesus is Satan's brother? It seems to always come up when Biblical Christians try to criticize the LDS Church. What's their point? Granted that the Bible never explicitly says that Jesus is Satan's spirit brother, but the Bible also never explicitly says that so-and-so was Jesus' biological first cousin; does that mean that Jesus had no biological first cousins? There are a lot of things that the Bible doesn't say that are in fact quite true.

You have to admit, Kevin, that it is kind of a strange premise. For those that have little understanding of Mormon doctrine, it sounds a little wacky. It sounds a little wacky to me, too.

Personally, I don't have much belief in Satan. I find the notion illogical. A God of evil?

For fundamentalist Christians the concept of Satan is one of the pillars that their beliefs are founded on. God verses Satan. The diametrically opposed forces that rule their lives. No wonder they find the idea of Satan being Christ's closest relative a little unsettling.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_Nightlion
_Emeritus

Post by _Nightlion »

Quasimodo wrote:
KevinSim wrote:What's the big deal about the LDS belief that Jesus is Satan's brother? It seems to always come up when Biblical Christians try to criticize the LDS Church. What's their point? Granted that the Bible never explicitly says that Jesus is Satan's spirit brother, but the Bible also never explicitly says that so-and-so was Jesus' biological first cousin; does that mean that Jesus had no biological first cousins? There are a lot of things that the Bible doesn't say that are in fact quite true.

You have to admit, Kevin, that it is kind of a strange premise. For those that have little understanding of Mormon doctrine, it sounds a little wacky. It sounds a little wacky to me, too.

Personally, I don't have much belief in Satan. I find the notion illogical. A God of evil?

For fundamentalist Christians the concept of Satan is one of the pillars that their beliefs are founded on. God verses Satan. The diametrically opposed forces that rule their lives. No wonder they find the idea of Satan being Christ's closest relative a little unsettling.

How do you figure Satan is any sort of "God" in the least?
Of course that is absurd. He is a ball of light in the most raw form. He has the knowledge to organize himself into a human looking being if he chooses. Or he can collect with his fellow demons and portray deceptions like UFOs. Any organized intelligence can do these things. They are not confined to the order of a seed body and its locked in form. This is another reason he chooses to remain in the First Estate dimension. It allows him to whisper in our ears so that we are impressed with his thoughts when we open ourselves to it. That is spiritual alright but nothing god worthy.
The Apocalrock Manifesto and Wonders of Eternity: New Mormon Theology
https://www.docdroid.net/KDt8RNP/the-apocalrock-manifesto.pdf
https://www.docdroid.net/IEJ3KJh/wonders-of-eternity-2009.pdf
My YouTube videos:HERE
_KevinSim
_Emeritus

Post by _KevinSim »

TrashcanMan79 wrote:I think part of the criticism stems from mainstream Christians' belief that Satan is a created being, while Jesus is eternal and uncreated. If I recall correctly, mainstream Christians consider the LDS belief contradictory to 1 Colossians 1:16-17:

So it's deceptive, because Latter-day Saints don't believe that Satan is a created being. Also, think about the logic. Even if Mormons did believe that Satan was created, how would it make Jesus more created being Satan's spirit brother, than it would make Jesus created being the biological brother of James and Joses?
KevinSim

Reverence the eternal.
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

Hi Kevin :smile:

KevinSim wrote:What's the big deal about the LDS belief that Jesus is Satan's brother?

Nothing!

The "big deal" is rooted in Mormonism claiming Christianity when teaching this.......as well as many other things.

It seems to always come up when Biblical Christians try to criticize the LDS Church. What's their point?

The point, Kevin, is that Biblical Christians believe the following:

Jesus is God
Jesus was not a created being
Jesus is the brother of nobody (This dilutes Jesus)

Just my guess, though. :smile:

Peace,
Ceeboo
_KevinSim
_Emeritus

Post by _KevinSim »

Quasimodo wrote:You have to admit, Kevin, that it is kind of a strange premise.

I don't have to admit that at all. Of course, I was raised LDS, so it makes sense that I wouldn't find something strange that I had been raised to believe in pretty much from the day I was born.

Quasimodo wrote:For those that have little understanding of Mormon doctrine, it sounds a little wacky. It sounds a little wacky to me, too.

I can understand why some people might find it wacky, especially if they've been exposed overlong to Bibilical Christian ideas. But an idea sounding wacky, due to the way the person hearing it has been raised, does not guarantee that that idea is false.

Quasimodo wrote:God verses Satan. The diametrically opposed forces that rule their lives. No wonder they find the idea of Satan being Christ's closest relative a little unsettling.

Satan isn't "Christ's closest relative"; that distinction belongs to God the Father.
KevinSim

Reverence the eternal.
_Lucifer
_Emeritus

Post by _Lucifer »

KevinSim wrote:but the Bible also never explicitly says that so-and-so was Jesus' biological first cousin; does that mean that Jesus had no biological first cousins?

We had cousins, but Dad and Uncle Jerry never got along, so we never got to visit.

Sure missed out on some good ol' cousin lovin!

\m/
But Satan now is wiser than of yore, and tempts by making rich, not making poor ~Alexander Pope
Let's go shopping! ~Thomas S. Monson