The Term Anti-Mormon

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Re: The Term Anti-Mormon

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Fence Sitter wrote:
honorentheos wrote:Mainly, I'm wondering about Ceeboo's personal thoughts. He's been given 5 pages of information that ranged from the analytical to some that are almost folksy. And yet his question from the OP remained: does being anti-Mormonism make him anti-Mormon? Since no one on the board seems to be able to answer the question for him in a way that has satisfied him, it seems he's going to have to answer the question for himself. If he wants to share the answer, cool. If he doesn't want to share it, that's cool too.

I don't know if Ceeboo is satisfied with the answers given or not but it seems clear the answer depends on the definition of 'anti-mormon(ism)', which varies from person to person.

For example in my opinion being anti-Mormonism makes him anti-Mormon, because Mormonism is an integral part of being Mormon.

Mormons try and make the same distinction with homosexuals and homosexual behavior. In other words it's okay to be gay but not act gay. Is that an anti-gay stance or just an anti-gay behavior stance? Can you separate the person from his actions and condemn the later without condemning the former? I don't think so.

I think that equating criticism of a religious belief with criticism of the person who has adopted the belief varies widely. I see it very rarely in mainstream American Catholics and Protestants. I see it much more among LDS, JW's, and fundamentalist christians.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

MCB wrote:
I honestly don't believe there is anything about their atheism you like or respect.
While I respect atheist's rejection of sick religion, which is usually their excuse for being atheists.

I should have offered my take on this question as well. Sorry.

Truth be told, I have a lot of repsect for my friends who are atheist. I like many of them too (You realize that I frequent a message board that are loaded with atheists, yes?)

Anyway, just thought I would answer that accusation as well.

Peace,
Ceeboo
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Ceeboo wrote:
Mormonism = An institution that delivers and teaches patently false claims to the world. No, I do not like and I do not respect!

Hope that helps.

Peace,'
Ceeboo

Can you separate the institution from the people? Doesn't the institution require people to teach those claims, people who believe in them? Even on an individual level I think that the institution is found within each true believer.

I don't think the label is very useful, frankly, since it can apply and is applied to so many different approaches to Mormonism.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

Ceeboo wrote:Mormon = A human being (complex, diverse, culture, deep and wide). Yes, I like many and respect many!

Mormonism = An institution that delivers and teaches patently false claims to the world. No, I do not like and I do not respect!

Hope that helps.

Peace,'
Ceeboo

Taken at face value, it suggests you look past the Mormon in them and are respectful of the person, no different than you would try to be of any other human being.

If this is taken as a complete answer, it doesn't seem that you respect what is Mormon about them, as a person.

Would you be willing to own that?

I think that matters, by the way.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

Hey FS :smile:
Fence Sitter wrote:

Can you separate the institution from the people?

I don't know but I think so.

Doesn't the institution require people to teach those claims,

Great and interesting question! (in my opinion)

Just a thought for discussion: Aren't the people taught by the institution?

people who believe in them?

Yes, but this is speaking about only and merely those who believe in the lessons that are taught by the institution. No?

Even on an individual level I think that the institution is found within each true believer.

Again, I don't think so (But I am still thinking) :smile:

I don't think the label is very useful, frankly, since it can apply and is applied to so many different approaches to Mormonism.

Perhaps!

Thanks for the contribution.

Preace,
Ceeboo
_MCB
_Emeritus

Post by _MCB »

Brad Hudson wrote:What specifically about Mormonism do you think leads former Mormons to become atheists?
That deserves a whole book. I guess it boils down to their unique interpretation of Scripture. Difficult to unlearn.

Perhaps not unique. Barry Bickmore explains it well.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Huckelberry said:
I see the order and harmony to be the very image of God which smiles upon us each morning as we awake.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/a ... cc_toc.htm
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

Ceeboo wrote:
I honestly don't believe there is anything about their atheism you like or respect.

I should have offered my take on this question as well. Sorry.

Truth be told, I have a lot of repsect for my friends who are atheist. I like many of them too (You realize that I frequent a message board that are loaded with atheists, yes?)

Anyway, just thought I would answer that accusation as well.

Peace,
Ceeboo

Fair, and I never doubted that you respect people, as people. I do doubt that you respect certain aspects of their character. In many cases, these things are primary to their own self-identities.

I think there is a difference between saying, "I like lots of Mormons" and "I think so-and-so's Mormonism helps them be a charitable person, which I admire." The first is tolerance despite the Mormon aspect of their identity. The second is respect of the whole person to some extent. You may not like "Mormonism", but you can like it's effect on the person.

Most of the time, I see your use of the terms "like" and "admire" or even "person" as not that different from, "I know the church is true." You are telling me what a christian is supposed to say, IYO anyways, and you may hold that opinion. But it isn't a particularly self-aware statement.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

Hey again, honor

honorentheos wrote:Taken at face value, it suggests you look past the Mormon in them and are respectful of the person, no different than you would try to be of any other human being.

If this is taken as a complete answer, it doesn't seem that you respect what is Mormon about them, as a person.

Yes!

Peace,
Ceeboo
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

Ceeboo wrote:Hey again, honor

honorentheos wrote:Taken at face value, it suggests you look past the Mormon in them and are respectful of the person, no different than you would try to be of any other human being.

Yes!

Peace,
Ceeboo

Then I'd feel safe in saying you are anti-Mormon.
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

MCB wrote:
Brad Hudson wrote:What specifically about Mormonism do you think leads former Mormons to become atheists?
That deserves a whole book. I guess it boils down to their unique interpretation of Scripture. Difficult to unlearn.

Perhaps not unique. Barry Bickmore explains it well.

I understand what you mean about the unique interpretation of scripture in Mormonism. It took me a long time to learn to interpret the Bible in an orthodox manner, so that I could understand mainstream Christianity better.

Having gone through the process myself and spoken with many former Mormon nonbelievers, I wouldn't have identified non-standard scripture interpretation as the cause. If it were that, I would suspect a lower rate of atheists among former Mormons.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951