Former Stake President managing MormonThink

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Tobin
_Emeritus

Re: Former Stake President managing MormonThink

Post by _Tobin »

Mormon Think wrote:
Tobin wrote:I really don't think he does. I find it very unlikely that me pointing out that I disagree with the approach Philips took raised the traffic to MT one bit. And if is the new mission of MT to tear down and destroy the Mormon Church and Mormonism, then I wish them luck. Mormonism has always had its critics and always will.

That is NOT MT's mission. It is merely education. It is a pro-truth site.

We advocate B.H. Roberts' phisolophy: "frankly state events as they occurred, in full consideration of all related circumstances, allowing the line of condemnation or justification to fall where it may"

Well, I hope that remains the case. I've often found MT interesting, if not a bit one-sided in its truth telling and less objective than it might otherwise be. :) I personally don't mind the site other than the latest maneuvers haven't been good for its reputation as has already been pointed out. And as I've said, Tom Phillips is an interesting choice if not otherwise controversial because of his recent interactions with the Mormon Church. I certainly hope that one-sided nature doesn't become the only story there as a result and MT becomes yet another anti-mormon website where other points of view aren't even mentioned.
"You lack vision, but I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night.... Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see. My God, it'll be beautiful." -- Judge Doom
_Willy Law
_Emeritus

Post by _Willy Law »

MCB wrote:The problem with the field of Mormon Studies from a non-Mormon or ex-Mormon perspective is that new authors rarely get much new information. Often it is the same information regurgitated over and over. "Shadow or Reality" and the Tanners is a case in point (I recently got their newsletter-- nothing new, although I had already the new BY book). Nothing new. It is always a problem with educating the general public, who typically adhere to political correct viewpoints without realizing how egregiously politically incorrect Mormonism is as a whole.

Same old, same old.

I get what you are saying, but didn't you find that the new BY book contained a lot of new information and sources that you had not seen before?
I thought that book contained a ton of new quotes that I had never seen before. For the most part, I agree with you.
It is my province to teach to the Church what the doctrine is. It is your province to echo what I say or to remain silent.
Bruce R. McConkie
_Willy Law
_Emeritus

Post by _Willy Law »

Tobin wrote:
Willy Law wrote:PP has a point. According to site analytics mormonthink.com unique visitors are up over 100 % year to date. No doubt that the church's witch hunt and the publicity it created led to a large portion of this inceease.

I really don't think he does. I find it very unlikely that me pointing out that I disagree with the approach Philips took raised the traffic to MT one bit. And if is the new mission of MT to tear down and destroy the Mormon Church and Mormonism, then I wish them luck. Mormonism has always had its critics and always will.

I think that PP's point was that, if the church wants Mormonthink to have less influence then stop talking about it and giving it more influence. I don't think anyone can honestly say that the way the church handled the situation had little to do with the doubling of traffic. Critical mass may have played some part but the church provided the bulk of the new traffic.
It is my province to teach to the Church what the doctrine is. It is your province to echo what I say or to remain silent.
Bruce R. McConkie
_Tobin
_Emeritus

Post by _Tobin »

Willy Law wrote: I think that PP's point was that, if the church wants Mormonthink to have less influence then stop talking about it and giving it more influence. I don't think anyone can honestly say that the way the church handled the situation had little to do with the doubling of traffic. Critical mass may have played some part but the church provided the bulk of the new traffic.
Uh huh. I'm sure Romney running for president and also being a Mormon and MT (and the former editor) trying to use that to their advantage had nothing to do with it?!?
"You lack vision, but I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night.... Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see. My God, it'll be beautiful." -- Judge Doom
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

Mormon Think wrote:http://mormonthink.com/

The last two managing editors resigned from the church after the LDS leadership called them to church courts for writing about church history and doctrine, as well as working on the MormonThink website.

Liar,liar pants on fire. The last two editors were not called to church courts for writing about church history or doctrine. If that were the case, Richard Bushman and many others would be called into court also. The were called to church courts for writing against the lds church.
I intend to lay a foundation that will revolutionize the whole world.
Joseph Smith

We are “to feed the hungry, to clothe the naked, to provide for the widow, to dry up the tear of the orphan, to comfort the afflicted, whether in this church, or in any other, or in no church at all…”
Joseph Smith
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

Tobin wrote:]Uh huh. I'm sure Romney running for president and also being a Mormon and MT (and the former editor) trying to use that to their advantage had nothing to do with it?!

How quick the critics forget the dodgy way that mormonthink handled the whole incident and how they perhaps mislead the press for pubiicity sake.
Joseph Smith

We are “to feed the hungry, to clothe the naked, to provide for the widow, to dry up the tear of the orphan, to comfort the afflicted, whether in this church, or in any other, or in no church at all…”
Joseph Smith
_MCB
_Emeritus

Post by _MCB »

I get what you are saying, but didn't you find that the new BY book contained a lot of new information and sources that you had not seen before?
Yes. The new BY book was an exception. :mrgreen:
Huckelberry said:
I see the order and harmony to be the very image of God which smiles upon us each morning as we awake.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/a ... cc_toc.htm
_Mormon Think
_Emeritus

Post by _Mormon Think »

Brad Hudson wrote:My personal opinion is that it would be healthy for MT to get back to the basics and not promote confrontation with the LDS leadership. But it's your brand, not mine. :smile:

I believe the Church has learned its lesson and will not go after Tom so we aren't going to have to worry about the Church going after MT or its members, many of whom are still active LDS members and don't want to be the focus of a witch hunt like the Church did with two recent editors. So now MT can get on with it's mission of providing resources to enable members, who wish to learn more about its full history, a way to easily do so - and from many persepectives.

As Romney is now history and the flurry of the 'Mormon Moment' is fading, MormonThink will get back to the basics of providing information on Mormon issues that are of interest to a great deal of Mormons. :neutral:
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

MCB wrote: It is always a problem with educating the general public, who typically adhere to political correct viewpoints without realizing how egregiously politically incorrect Mormonism is as a whole.

Same old, same old.

Mormonism politically incorrect? How? And who is too judge what is politically incorrect? Such generalizations serve very little purpose than to show bias.
Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

Mormon Think wrote:

I believe the Church has learned its lesson and will not go after Tom so we aren't going to have to worry about the Church going after MT or its members, many of whom are still active LDS members and don't want to be the focus of a witch hunt like the Church did with two recent editors. So now MT can get on with it's mission of providing resources to enable members, who wish to learn more about its full history, a way to easily do so - and from many persepectives.

Oh yes, the lds church has learned its lesson. What lesson did the lds church learn? MT was attempting to lead church members away from the church by providing lopsided information to members and nonmembers. It is heavily on the side of critics. If Tom is member and if MT continues along that path, he will be disciplined. Now that Romney is history, the press will not give a fig about it at all. And neither will the general public. Now if Romney were still news, it could be reported by the liberal press but even then, no one would give a fig.
Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith