Congrats to David Bokovoy!!!!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Racer
_Emeritus

Re: Congrats to David Bokovoy!!!!

Post by _Racer »

I wonder how soon it will be before Hamblin starts spouting off his sour grapes or making dismissive statements about Bokovoy's new position like he did with Bushman's recently announced new position.
Tapirs... Yeah... That's the ticket!
_The Dude
_Emeritus

Post by _The Dude »

Enuma Elish wrote:I'm still interested in a few tenure track positions in Hebrew Bible for next year, so I have not yet determined that I will take the offer, but I'm very excited to have this as a back-up plan.

There's a place for "Offers and Awards Declined" on your curriculum vitae. ;)

Congratulations and stay positive!
"And yet another little spot is smoothed out of the echo chamber wall..." Bond
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

liz3564 wrote:

One of the classes he is teaching is a Book of Mormon as Literature class. This is groundbreaking since it is the first time in a university setting that the Book of Mormon has been taught as a literary work outside of a devotional setting.

It is amazing that not one critic on this board challenged the idea of the Book of Mormon as literature. I find the Book of Mormon a good piece of writing with a fine story line but the critics here often condemned the Book of Mormon to the literary scrape heap of history. But here we have a university having a course about the literary merits of the Book of Mormon.
I intend to lay a foundation that will revolutionize the whole world.
Joseph Smith

We are “to feed the hungry, to clothe the naked, to provide for the widow, to dry up the tear of the orphan, to comfort the afflicted, whether in this church, or in any other, or in no church at all…”
Joseph Smith
_Racer
_Emeritus

Post by _Racer »

why me wrote:
liz3564 wrote:

One of the classes he is teaching is a Book of Mormon as Literature class. This is groundbreaking since it is the first time in a university setting that the Book of Mormon has been taught as a literary work outside of a devotional setting.

It is amazing that not one critic on this board challenged the idea of the Book of Mormon as literature. I find the Book of Mormon a good piece of writing with a fine story line but the critics here often condemned the Book of Mormon to the literary scrape heap of history. But here we have a university having a course about the literary merits of the Book of Mormon.

I am speaking for myself, but my criticism of the Book of Mormon is not that its a terrible book. There are some interesting things in the book that could provoke some philosophical discussions similar to how one would discuss the merits or social application of any mythology. There are also some cool story lines in the Book of Mormon.

My main criticism of the Book of Mormon is that it is fiction. Joseph Smith made it up. There was no Moroni, gold plates, or divinity attached to it. Therefore I view a class on Book of Mormon literature just as I would view a class on the writings of Tolkien - interesting and useful to those that have an interest in those subjects on a secular level.
Tapirs... Yeah... That's the ticket!
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

why me wrote:

You are perhaps unfamiliar with the teaching of literature.

I don't teach literature in order to inculcate an appreciation of aesthetic "greatness." Literature courses are rarely about the "literary merits" of any particular text, either, though the idea of "literary merit" itself is often opened for investigation.

In literature courses, such as commonly found ones on "the Bible as literature," the text is examined historically, discussed in terms of its intertextual production (dependence on previous texts), its ideological functions and its dispersal through other narrative reworkings.

"A good piece of writing with a fine story line" is not a critical category of textual analysis, and never has been, though it may be one for individual appreciation. In a university course, however, the idea of such appreciation itself could come under critical scrutiny as well.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

why me wrote:
liz3564 wrote:

Treating the Book of Mormon as "literature" undermines efforts to treat it as a legitimate historical record. For that reason, I think that most critics prefer what Bokovoy is doing.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Shiloh

Post by _Shiloh »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Treating the Book of Mormon as "literature" undermines efforts to treat it as a legitimate historical record. For that reason, I think that most critics prefer what Bokovoy is doing.

You rarely say something so wrong, Dr. Scratch. Many courses are taught on the Bible as literature -- even at conservative Christian colleges. Analyzing a book as literature is hardly a rejection of anything else the book may claim to be. It simply means you are viewing the book from a particular vantage point. They are not mutually exclusive, or do you somehow imagine that DB is really a non-believer in the Book of Mormon seeking to undermine its historicity?
_Bob Loblaw
_Emeritus

Post by _Bob Loblaw »

Yahoo Bot wrote:BYU does not have a theology or Biblical Studies department. Its Department of Religion is geared towards (1) providing the 2-hour per semester course that each student needs and (2) educating Church educators. BYU's administration for years has said it does not want a theology or Bible Studies department, like you'd see at Cal Berkeley (although that has been spun off to the Theological Union), Harvard or Claremont. There's too much of a history of General Authorities criticizing these types of educational facilities.

So it isn't a matter of being "stupid." There is no place for somebody like Bokovoy to publish in New Testament studies from a department that doesn't offer degrees in that.

I beg to differ. The Religion Department had a choice to make: hire someone like David who is interested in scholarship and start discussing what Mormonism really is and where it comes from, albeit in a faith-promoting way; or continue to treat students like children and fill their heads with the sanitized nonsense of Correlated Mormonism. They've chosen the latter, and that is incredibly stupid.

And I echo the congratulations to David: BYU's loss is the U's gain.
"It doesn't seem fair, does it Norm--that I should have so much knowledge when there are people in the world that have to go to bed stupid every night." -- Clifford C. Clavin, USPS

"¡No contaban con mi astucia!" -- El Chapulin Colorado
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Bob Loblaw wrote: They've chosen the latter, and that is incredibly stupid.

But not unexpected. Sometimes we forget that they LOVE correlated Mormonism.
(Nevo, Jan 23) And the Melchizedek Priesthood may not have been restored until the summer of 1830, several months after the organization of the Church.
_Always Changing
_Emeritus

Post by _Always Changing »

harmony wrote:But not unexpected. Sometimes we forget that they LOVE correlated Mormonism.
I thought it would be impossible to correlate a gnostic religion??? :confused:
Problems with auto-correct:
In Helaman 6:39, we see the Badmintons, so similar to Skousenite Mormons, taking over the government and abusing the rights of many.