A Question About Paul H. Dunn

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Tobin
_Emeritus

Re: A Question About Paul H. Dunn

Post by _Tobin »

inquiringmind wrote:So is it possible he did it all for the money, or was he too well off for that?
Most likely mixed with a bit of arrogance and the excitement of "getting-away with it". People like this surprise me. He could have just said it was a made up story for story-sake and it would have all gone away when it was first discovered.
"You lack vision, but I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night.... Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see. My God, it'll be beautiful." -- Judge Doom
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

ldsfaqs wrote:It was a well practiced historically known art of "story-telling"....
It was common sometimes for "speakers" to sometimes tell story's as if they were their own, even though they were not. It was not considered "lying". It was simply considered a part of the art of story-telling that some utilized.

In our modern world, this is no longer acceptable.
Previously, it was simply known as a good story, even if not actually true of the individual in question, it was true "somewhere" thus not considered a lie, but embellishment to teach lessons, values, etc.

Thus, he wasn't "trying" to lie.... It's just when a person talks so much, they sometimes try to find new things to talk about, to tell other peoples story's as if they are your own, to bring the feeling and impact of the story.

October 23, 1991

I have been accused of various activities unbecoming a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

I confess that I have not always been accurate in my public talks and writings. Furthermore, I have indulged in other activities inconsistent with the high and sacred office which I have held.

For all of these I feel a deep sense of remorse, and ask forgiveness of any whom I may have offended.

My brethren of the General Authorities, over a long period of time, have conducted in-depth investigations of the charges made against me. They have weighed the evidence. They have censured me and placed a heavy penalty upon me.

I accept their censure and the imposed penalty, and pledge to conduct my life in such a way as to merit their confidence and full fellowship.

In making these acknowledgements, I plead for the understanding of my brethren and sisters throughout the Church and give assurance of my determination so to live as to bring added respect to the cause I deeply love, and honor to the Lord who is my Redeemer.

Sincerely, Paul H. Dunn

What alternate reality do you live in, LDSfaqs? Your postings likely surpass even BCSpace's & WhyMe's nonsensical thought patterns.

V/R
Dr. Cam
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_ZelphtheGreat
_Emeritus

Post by _ZelphtheGreat »

Paul Dunn was a congenital liar and did so to get gain. He made money and obtained positions of power based on his lies.
He was the most popular speaker in the Church for many years as well as the best selling author. He sold tapes and records of many of his inspiring talks.
The Brethren apparently knew of his lies for some time before Lynn Packer, a newspaper reporter, made the truth public. Packer was castigated and fired from his jobs that were associated with the LDS Church as a result. Kill the messenger while protecting the liar.
Some of us, after Dunn was outed as a liar confronted him with the books and tapes containing the lies and demanded a refund. We never got it. To my knowledge he never paid back/refunded any money he made from telling and publishing his lies.

That LDS Leadership knew of the lies for some time and only took action after they became public knowledge speaks volumes as to their honesty and integrity. That Paul Dunn was made a special representative to Professional Athletes - in part based on his having been one - speaks volumes as to the inspiration of "The Lord's Servants, The Prophets".

Why do these LDS Leaders try to convince people they have the truth by telling lies?
“If paying tithing means that you can’t pay for water or electricity, pay tithing. If paying tithing means that you can’t pay your rent, pay tithing. Even if paying tithing means that you don’t have enough money to feed your family, pay tithing." Ensign/2012/12
_bcuzbcuz
_Emeritus

Post by _bcuzbcuz »

inquiringmind wrote:It seems generally accepted that Paul H. Dunn lied about some of the details of his life, but why?

I know he was a popular author, and I assume his books and cassette taps made him money, but did he need the money that badly?

And why would he lie, in print, about something like playing major league Baseball.

As baseball was America's pass time when he told his stories, the amazing thing is that he wasn't caught in this lie sooner.

Does anyone know why he did it?

Is it possible he wanted to discredit the Church?

I sincerely doubt Dunn was trying to discredit the church but having heard him and seen how people come up and shake his hand and ask for autographs I think Dunn had an extremely swelled ego. Dunn was dishonest to the core. I even think his apology, that he pressed to make public, was an insincere offering. The man was a consumate liar.

Why he lied is left to conjecture, but he was able to bring tears to the eyes of his listeners while his own tears ran down his cheeks and he bore testimony to the church. I don't think Dunn had any comprehension of the damage he caused.
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love...you make. PMcC
_bcuzbcuz
_Emeritus

Post by _bcuzbcuz »

ldsfaqs wrote:It was a well practiced historically known art of "story-telling"....
It was common sometimes for "speakers" to sometimes tell story's as if they were their own, even though they were not. It was not considered "lying". It was simply considered a part of the art of story-telling that some utilized.

In our modern world, this is no longer acceptable.
Previously, it was simply known as a good story, even if not actually true of the individual in question, it was true "somewhere" thus not considered a lie, but embellishment to teach lessons, values, etc.

Thus, he wasn't "trying" to lie.... It's just when a person talks so much, they sometimes try to find new things to talk about, to tell other peoples story's as if they are your own, to bring the feeling and impact of the story.

Do you actually believe the BS you spout? You're saying a lie is not a lie if it has a higher purpose? Did you ever hear Dunn? Have you read any of his books or are you defending him out of "principle" of defending the church?

Dunn was a liar, a good liar, but a liar nevertheless.
_bcuzbcuz
_Emeritus

Post by _bcuzbcuz »

ZelphtheGreat wrote:Paul Dunn was a congenital liar and did so to get gain. He made money and obtained positions of power based on his lies.
He was the most popular speaker in the Church for many years as well as the best selling author. He sold tapes and records of many of his inspiring talks.
The Brethren apparently knew of his lies for some time before Lynn Packer, a newspaper reporter, made the truth public. Packer was castigated and fired from his jobs that were associated with the LDS Church as a result. Kill the messenger while protecting the liar.
Some of us, after Dunn was outed as a liar confronted him with the books and tapes containing the lies and demanded a refund. We never got it. To my knowledge he never paid back/refunded any money he made from telling and publishing his lies.

That LDS Leadership knew of the lies for some time and only took action after they became public knowledge speaks volumes as to their honesty and integrity. That Paul Dunn was made a special representative to Professional Athletes - in part based on his having been one - speaks volumes as to the inspiration of "The Lord's Servants, The Prophets".

Why do these LDS Leaders try to convince people they have the truth by telling lies?

The same is true when the church bought the forgeries of Mark Hoffman. Those who have a habit of telling lies about their beliefs lose the ability to spot other liars. Hoffman knew this and exploited it, just as Dunn did.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

As baseball was America's pass time when he told his stories, the amazing thing is that he wasn't caught in this lie sooner.

Caught by whom? I had some minor cog. dis. as a kid because i used to "flip baseball cards", and in all the thousands of cards I saw on the playground, never saw a Dunn. But I had Dunn's tapes, and my parents fed me the stories.

The truth came out when I was at BYU. When the story broke, my uber-TBM Book of Mormon teacher mentioned the story as sad, not appropriate for discussion, and mentioned in passing he knew it had been going on for 10 (or 15) years. Of course he had been "caught", I'm sure it was fully understood on the inside. But the Brethren have never really cared much for the truth, religions are kind of built that way.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Paul H Dunn
_Emeritus

Post by _Paul H Dunn »

Dear Brother Gad,

I am sorry you were unable to collect my baseball card. During my glory years as the number one pitcher and cleanup hitter for St Louis, baseball cards were issued by tobacco companies and I refused to allow them to use my likeness to promote the sale of their product. I would be glad to send you an autographed picture of me in my Army uniform as soon as I get it back from the tailors. I am having the 11 bullet holes and 2 bayonet tears repaired.

Yours always in the Gospel.

Paul “Slugger” Dunn
Milli Vanilli & Paul Dunn
Music & The Spoken Word
_Hasa Diga Eebowai
_Emeritus

Post by _Hasa Diga Eebowai »

-
Last edited by Guest on Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
_Tchild
_Emeritus

Post by _Tchild »

inquiringmind wrote:It seems generally accepted that Paul H. Dunn lied about some of the details of his life, but why?
Because P.H.D's life was probably very boring, and, that might mean that P.H.D. wasn't "special" enough for God to protect him from worldly temptations ruin and death. Yet, here was P.H.D, chosen to be a leader with nothing special to say or add.

I know he was a popular author, and I assume his books and cassette taps made him money, but did he need the money that badly?
Probably more to do with "specialness = righteousness, than about money.

And why would he lie, in print, about something like playing major league Baseball.
specialness = righteousness. (not to be confused with Wealth = righteousness...but along similar veins) P.H.D wasn't special and therefore nothing special to God, and to those Mormons who seek to see those apparent "special" qualities in their leaders.

Does anyone know why he did it?
When you understand how dysfunctional Mormonism is, you understand the dysfunctions its leaders act out in playing their parts.

Is it possible he wanted to discredit the Church?
The opposite. he wanted to promote the church, but Mormon beliefs have created a culture with a personification of a God that "rewards" and "punishes" men based on their righteousness or sinfullness.

How does a leader convey that he is righteous unless he promotes the idea that he/she is special to God, deserving of that God's intervening powers?

Does God intervene for ordinary and unspecial men?