Daniel C. Peterson Calls The Maxwell Institute Unethical

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Daniel C. Peterson Calls The Maxwell Institute Unethical

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Best and worst of 2012

In Daniel's comment to the article, he states:

DCP wrote:But — just to be clear — at that point I also resigned (I wasn’t fired) as director of “advancement” (fundraising) for the Maxwell Institute, because my dismissal as editor had expressly been described as part of a realignment of the Maxwell Institute that I felt I could not support (for, among others, ethical reasons).

DCP has now clearly crossed the Rubicon into open rebellion. It's only a matter of time before he is hauled into a disciplinary court.

He truly is the Willy Loman of Mopologetics.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Re: Daniel C. Peterson Calls The Maxwell Institute Unethical

Post by _Blixa »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:Best and worst of 2012

In Daniel's comment to the article, he states:

DCP wrote:But — just to be clear — at that point I also resigned (I wasn’t fired) as director of “advancement” (fundraising) for the Maxwell Institute, because my dismissal as editor had expressly been described as part of a realignment of the Maxwell Institute that I felt I could not support (for, among others, ethical reasons).

DCP has now clearly crossed the Rubicon into open rebellion. It's only a matter of time before he is hauled into a disciplinary court.

Please. Loman had a sad sack dignity. He understood his failures.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

Blixa nails it. DCP thinks he is winning. After having learned the art of self delusion from the church he has now become the poster boy, via the MI escapades.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_palerobber
_Emeritus

Post by _palerobber »

to say something would be unethical for you to do is not the same thing as saying it would be unethical for others to do it.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
_Infymus
_Emeritus

Post by _Infymus »

Leave Daniel C. Peterson Alone!

Sorry... Don't want to waste time putting graphical words onto an image of DCP crying and then have to upload and link it somewhere.
_Yahoo Bot
_Emeritus

Post by _Yahoo Bot »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:[u][url=http://thestudentreview.org/happy-valley-best-and-worst-of-2012/]

Your particular system of ethics is peculiarly terrible, attacking the good doctor's character anonymously.

Whereas I'm not a fan of Dr. Peterson's departure from the Maxwell institute and how he did it and how Hamblin has said various things about it, I do credit Dr. Peterson a certain amount of dignity to complain about how things are going on there.

You don't know really his ethical concerns. I can see a number that jump out. Attracting donations and then changing the mission of the enterprise. Committing to publish papers and then not. Not cooperating in the editing process to get volumes out. Enact a mission change different than the original mission. An academic is entitled to complain about such things.

I believe that an institution is entitled to change its mission, and donors and authors of pending papers have no claim whatsoever on the future operations of a non-profit entity, and that egos are clashing in the space of a 6 by 10 office that not too many people care about, but I also credit the ethical concerns. But I would never, ever, disparage somebody public like Dr. Peterson the way you do without putting your name to your classless cowardice. Some day, God will hold you to account.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_madeleine
_Emeritus

Post by _madeleine »

Well, maybe he's finally starting to understand.
Being a Christian is not the result of an ethical choice or a lofty idea, but the encounter with an event, a person, which gives life a new horizon and a decisive direction -Pope Benedict XVI
_Morley
_Emeritus

Post by _Morley »

Yahoo Bot wrote:Your particular system of ethics is peculiarly terrible, attacking the good doctor's character anonymously.

Yahoo Bot, to avoid the appearance of hypocrisy, please sign your posts with a full name, address, and phone number.
_Yahoo Bot
_Emeritus

Post by _Yahoo Bot »

Everybody knows who I am here.

rcrocket[a]gmail.com. Bob Crockxtt. Los Angeles. Feel free to contact me about your complaints.
_lulu
_Emeritus

Post by _lulu »

Morley wrote:
Yahoo Bot wrote:Your particular system of ethics is peculiarly terrible, attacking the good doctor's character anonymously.

Yahoo Bot, to avoid the appearance of hypocrisy, please sign your posts with a full name, address, and phone number.

And then never whine about people pointing out here details of your "personal" life, filing complaints against you, or emailing your partners.
"And the human knew the source of life, the woman of him, and she conceived and bore Cain, and said, 'I have procreated a man with Yahweh.'" Gen. 4:1, interior quote translated by D. Bokovoy.