Misconceptions about the Mormon Church (U.K.)

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_hobo1512
_Emeritus

Re: Misconceptions about the Mormon Church (U.K.)

Post by _hobo1512 »

ldsfaqs wrote:
hobo1512 wrote:If you loved the truth, you sure as hell wouldn'tbe a Mormon. Check with ex Mormons. A large number of them will tell you they left when they learned the truth.[/color]

Clearly you don't know me. I've already been an ex-mormon. I actually know for sure who tells the truth and who isn't when comparing the two sides.

The true definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result.

or

PT Barnum once said, "There's a sucker born every minute."

or

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Detecting a common thread here?
_Molok
_Emeritus

Post by _Molok »

Tobin wrote: If my responses are reasonable and consistent with Mormon scriptures and doctrine,

And they're not. So, like I said earlier, the Mormonism that you believe in is not the same kind that the folks temple square believe in.
_hobo1512
_Emeritus

Post by _hobo1512 »

Mary wrote:I was going to put forward my opinion of the presentation on Youtube, but it looks like they have deleted and disabled all comments. So, so much for free speech.

I just went to the page linked in post #1, and the comments and the comment function both were still there.

Try again maybe?
_hobo1512
_Emeritus

Post by _hobo1512 »

Tobin wrote:That's garbage. Polygamy is not essential to the afterlife or the Celestial Kingdom. In fact, LDS theology is, if you read the Book of Mormon, that it is in general a sin.

Splitting hairs and being deceitful here don't you think?

Polygamy may not be in the Book of Mormon, but it sure is in the D & C now isn't it?

Both are considered scripture, and binding right?

Good try little buddy.
_Tobin
_Emeritus

Post by _Tobin »

Molok wrote:
Tobin wrote: If my responses are reasonable and consistent with Mormon scriptures and doctrine,

And they're not. So, like I said earlier, the Mormonism that you believe in is not the same kind that the folks temple square believe in.
According to you and as I stated, I fail to recognize your qualifications to judge of the matter.

Now, perhaps you might answer my question and tell me what is so important about polygamy in the afterlife then? According to the Book of Mormon it is a sin which seems like an odd thing for God to do if it is so vital to the afterlife. Or is the Book of Mormon not part of your defintion of what a Mormon should believe in any longer?
"You lack vision, but I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night.... Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see. My God, it'll be beautiful." -- Judge Doom
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

Tobin,
Though Mormons don't actively participate in polygamy today, the doctrine of it being a requirement for the highest degree of celestial glory has not changed. The time frame has merely shifted, those who do not practice it now can do so in the afterlife. Again read D&C 132.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_Molok
_Emeritus

Post by _Molok »

Tobin wrote:According to you and as I stated, I fail to recognize your qualifications to judge of the matter.

The fact that you don't recognize your apostasy is irrelevant. That kind of blindness is common in apostates, so I'm not surprised. I'll pray that some day Heavenly Father will remove the scales from your eyes and let you see your error before you do serious harm to someone's salvation.
_Tobin
_Emeritus

Post by _Tobin »

hobo1512 wrote:
Tobin wrote:That's garbage. Polygamy is not essential to the afterlife or the Celestial Kingdom. In fact, LDS theology is, if you read the Book of Mormon, that it is in general a sin.

Splitting hairs and being deceitful here don't you think?

Polygamy may not be in the Book of Mormon, but it sure is in the D & C now isn't it?

Both are considered scripture, and binding right?

Good try little buddy.

Funny. If polygamy isn't in the Book of Mormon, odd that it is talked about and banned and labeled a sin then? And you seem to be dodging the question too. I find it very interesting that something so important to God in the afterlife is labeled a sin in the sciptures, don't you?
"You lack vision, but I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night.... Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see. My God, it'll be beautiful." -- Judge Doom
_Tobin
_Emeritus

Post by _Tobin »

Molok wrote:
Tobin wrote:According to you and as I stated, I fail to recognize your qualifications to judge of the matter.
The fact that you don't recognize your apostasy is irrelevant. That kind of blindness is common in apostates, so I'm not surprised. I'll pray that some day Heavenly Father will remove the scales from your eyes and let you see your error before you do serious harm to someone's salvation.
Go right ahead. I think you speaking with God more often is just what you need.
_Molok
_Emeritus

Post by _Molok »

Tobin wrote:Go right ahead. I think you speaking with God more often is just what you need.

An apostate is telling me to talk to God. Now that's just cute. Who do you think showed me your apostasy sweetie?