Misconceptions about the Mormon Church (U.K.)

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Sammy Jankins
_Emeritus

Misconceptions about the Mormon Church (U.K.)

Post by _Sammy Jankins »

Misconceptions about the Mormon Church

Not sure who put this together, but I thought it was interesting that they tried to address some of the difficult issues in this short video.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Re: Misconceptions about the Mormon Church (U.K.)

Post by _Kishkumen »

The same cockamamie baloney about blacks and the priesthood I see.

I don't see how anyone can buy that nonsense explanation of this issue.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_hobo1512
_Emeritus

Post by _hobo1512 »

Kishkumen wrote:The same cockamamie baloney about blacks and the priesthood I see.

I don't see how anyone can buy that nonsense explanation of this issue.

Did you happen to notice there wasn't a single black person saying nope, the morg aren't racist?
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

If people have the wrong idea about them then maybe the same old approach isn't working and yet that is exactly what the video does.

Bullet points they hit:

1. We don't practice polygamy anymore-we stopped in 1890.
2. We don't worship Joseph Smith.
3. We are not a sect or cult- hey there are 14 million of us how can we be a cult?
4. We are not racists-God has always limited who the can have the priesthood.
5. We are not homophobes-God loves all his children regardless of their sexual orientation. We believe in marriage and sex only between a married man and woman because it protects the family.
6. Men and women are treated equally in the Church-followed by a bizarre testimonial of a woman acknowledging she is fine not holding the priesthood.
7. We are Christians, 'Mormons' is a just a nickname that causes people to think we are not Christians.

The video started with a quote about how people are entitled to their own opinion but not their own facts then it proceeds to give a series of statements that are either wrong (polygamy continued after 1890) or just opinions (cult-homophobes-racists).

I am not even sure who they think their audience is, but the video seems aimed at active LDS members, not anyone who has serious questions about the Church itself.
Last edited by Guest on Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

hobo1512 wrote:Did you happen to notice there wasn't a single black person saying nope, the morg aren't racist?

The was amusing.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Sammy Jankins
_Emeritus

Post by _Sammy Jankins »

Fence Sitter wrote:I am not even sure who they think their audience is, but the video seems aimed at active LDS members, not anyone who has serious questions about the Church itself.

I have to agree. Anyone who is well versed will be unimpressed by this.
Okay they'll probably be insulted.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Fence Sitter wrote:3. We are not a sect or cult- hey there are 14 million of us how can we be a cult?

The reasoning there had me chuckling.

Size=legitimacy.

China has the most legitimate government in the world.

How do we know?

Just look at the size of it!
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

All I can say about this video is that it is risibly poor and unconvincing.

Time to go back to the drawing board.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Here's my explanation of the blacks and the priesthood issue:

Brigham Young and other early leaders of the LDS Church were racists and slaveholders.

Period.

It has the virtue of being true.
_Tobin
_Emeritus

Post by _Tobin »

Kishkumen wrote:Here's my explanation of the blacks and the priesthood issue:

Brigham Young and other early leaders of the LDS Church were racists and slaveholders.

Period.

It has the virtue of being true.

Agreed. And virtually all the Mormon pseudo-prophets that came later didn't have the sense to question this teaching or shared in that attitude. Instead of asking God if such a terrible thing could ever possibly have come from him, they embraced it and tried to codify this idiotic notion with unfounded speculations that they labeled as "doctrine". Only when it became so politically damaging did they get off their collective backsides and try to reverse this terrible and evil teaching.

If they can do that with something like this, you just have to realize how much more is taught in the Church as doctrine that is exactly the same sort of thing as this was.
"You lack vision, but I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night.... Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see. My God, it'll be beautiful." -- Judge Doom