Let Women Pray in General Conference | Facebook

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_cafe crema
_Emeritus

Re: Let Women Pray in General Conference | Facebook

Post by _cafe crema »

why me wrote:
cafe crema wrote:You are mocking and bashing.

And the men in both churches can ask for guidance on these issues, but why should they if the women who are hurting don't make their feelings known?

why me wrote:Hardly. The bashing of Joseph Smith on the catholic taliban site is severe and the mocking of the Mormon church is hostile.

Saying that a Facebook petition is nonsense is not bashing it is an opinion.

By calling it nonsense you are belittling the feelings and experiences of these women, that makes it mocking and bashing.

why me wrote:True about the guidance. But the petition does not state that. It is a petition to get a change in policy not for leaders to ask for guidance over the issue.

Lets have a petition about having honorary women cardinals so that women can also have a say in catholic church policy. Would you sign it?

I don't see any reason to sign a petition for women having the title of "honorary cardinal" what ever that is, an actual cardinal sure, but they'd have to have women ordained first. There is a lot of agitation for that in the ranks of the Catholic church and I'm fine with that agitation.
_Drifting
_Emeritus

Post by _Drifting »

It's ironic that the decision about wether women can pray in General Conference will be made solely by men...
“We look to not only the spiritual but also the temporal, and we believe that a person who is impoverished temporally cannot blossom spiritually.”
Keith McMullin - Counsellor in Presiding Bishopric

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Post by _Sethbag »

Drifting wrote:It's ironic that the decision about wether women can pray in General Conference will be made solely by men...

Wrong. It will be made by The Lord ©. It will merely be revealed to everyone else not in the sacred (not secret) chamber at the time The Lord © appeared to grant this boon, by the aforementioned men.
Mormonism ceased being a compelling topic for me when I finally came to terms with its transformation from a personality cult into a combination of a real estate company, a SuperPac, and Westboro Baptist Church. - Kishkumen
_Mormon Think
_Emeritus

Post by _Mormon Think »

Sethbag wrote:
Mormon Think wrote:If women can give prayers in the local meetings why hasn't one given a prayer in general conference? Tis a valid question.

My guess is that they're waiting for the Lord to tell them that this ought to happen. Naturally, they'll be waiting forever.

At last, upon sufficient public pressure, one of the Big 15 will get this wild hair and ask the others why they don't just get together, pray to the Lord, inform Him that they have this idea to let women pray in Conference and would he please chime in on it. Afterwards they'll look around at each other and say hey, I feel pretty good about it, how about you? They'll reach some critical mass of agreement, and then tears will be shed, hearts will be touched, and legends of revelations great and marvelous will be born, and finally, in 2047, a woman will say the opening prayer in General Conference.

Isn't it wonderful? Isn't it marvelous?

RIGHT ON THE MONEY. Sounds familar - a.k.a. revelation to end polygamy, revelation to end the ban on blacks having the priesthood...
_TrashcanMan79
_Emeritus

Post by _TrashcanMan79 »

The Church has "responded."

The LDS Church sent a statement Wednesday in response to the campaign. It reads:

“Decisions on speakers and prayers at General Conference were made several weeks ago and assignments were given to the men and women involved last week. Customarily, details of the conference programs are not announced until General Conference.”

http://fox13now.com/2013/01/17/campaign-calls-for-lds-church-to-let-women-pray/

Lame.
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

TrashcanMan79 wrote:The Church has "responded."

The LDS Church sent a statement Wednesday in response to the campaign. It reads:

“Decisions on speakers and prayers at General Conference were made several weeks ago and assignments were given to the men and women involved last week. Customarily, details of the conference programs are not announced until General Conference.”

Lame.

And the church punts. Lame indeed.
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_Sammy Jankins
_Emeritus

Post by _Sammy Jankins »

Well that's the biggest non-reponse I've seen. You might as well said nothing. I don't know, the least you could do is actually explain why you women don't pray in general conference. That doesn't seem like too much to ask.
Perhaps some unofficial church apologist can come up with a reason. God knows that's the only "answers" we get these days. Speculative third party responses.
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

TrashcanMan79 wrote:The Church has "responded."

Lame.

Lame indeed. Are they trying to say that prayer assignments are set in stone for a conference that won't happen for 3 months?
_zeezrom
_Emeritus

Post by _zeezrom »

It is amazing to watch this unfold. This type of movement seems unprecedented: Many faithful LDS members asking for change as an organized group. They remain protected from church discipline due to the visibility of the movement. There are now over 750 likes on the Facebook page. Granted, many of those are likely not TBM, but we are not talking about a rogue group of apostates here.

Of course, you get the criticisms like this from inside the group as well:
"Fellow sisters in the gospel, The gospel is not up for a vote! We are involved in meetings! We have our Relief Society and Young Women and Primary leaders speak to us all the time! Why are you so hung up on this small and unimportant thing? This is how apostasy begins ladies...be humble. Our leaders will let us know if they want us to pray in a general session. The prophet is lead by our Heavenly Father; and I think Heavenly Father would let our Prophet know if He wanted us to pray in a general session. Be grateful that the men of the Priesthood are willing to offer prayers in our behalf!"

And this reply, which I like:

Also, I forgot my favorite part of this OP: The church is up for a vote. They ask for a vote every six months at General Conference and every six months at Stake Conference, and every year at ward conference. We sustain our leaders - don't you think they should hear from us too??
Oh for shame, how the mortals put the blame on us gods, for they say evils come from us, but it is they, rather, who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given... Zeus (1178 BC)

The Holy Sacrament.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

liz3564 wrote:Lame indeed. Are they trying to say that prayer assignments are set in stone for a conference that won't happen for 3 months?

I suspect that most of what constitutes inspiration and revelation is set in stone months in advance.

The problem, from the Brethren's perspective, isn't that it's already set in stone. The problem is that they're being publically taken to task, and they don't like it one bit. It will now be at least another 10 years before they even consider the idea. The older generation will die off, and then we may see some changes. Until then... "it's set in stone".
(Nevo, Jan 23) And the Melchizedek Priesthood may not have been restored until the summer of 1830, several months after the organization of the Church.