Let Women Pray in General Conference | Facebook

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_just me
_Emeritus

Re: Let Women Pray in General Conference | Facebook

Post by _just me »

That Rosa Parks...she shoulda just gotten a life. How dare her care about sitting in that seat on the bus when there was a perfectly good spot for her at the back. Not only that, but didn't she understand the sate of world affairs at the time??? I mean, children in Africa were starving and women in all parts of the world were being raped!
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~
_sunstoned
_Emeritus

Post by _sunstoned »

why me wrote:People need to get a life. The economy is in the toilet. People are suffering throughout the world because of no work and exploitation. Many are poor without a pot to crap in...and we have this.

However, the good news is that Mormonism has made its mark and is now a frontline church and so, it must put up with nonsense as any other mainline church.

The 15 old men that seem to be stuck in the 1950's are the ones that need to get a life. As usual, any change to the church has to come from pressure from the outside. You would think that will all this modern day revelation talk, things could be different, but they are not.

The church is consistently 30 years behind and usually the last one to acknowledge any social or civil rights advances.
_palerobber
_Emeritus

Post by _palerobber »

TrashcanMan79 wrote:Paging Brother Travis James Richardson!

yes, light the Douche-Signal.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
_palerobber
_Emeritus

Post by _palerobber »

this Facebook group is frankly a much better approach than the Pants one (not that there was anything wrong with that one) -- it's a simple, concrete, actionable request to change an institutional policy with no theological basis.

i look forward to seeing Newsroom squirm over their response to this one.
_Tim the Enchanter
_Emeritus

Post by _Tim the Enchanter »

why me wrote:The economy is in the toilet. People are suffering throughout the world because of no work and exploitation. Many are poor without a pot to crap in...and...

...the church recently spent billions on a mall.
There are some who call me...Tim.
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Post by _ludwigm »

harmony wrote:
Chap wrote:What the hell is his problem?
Chronic CathoMormonism.

As a nonenglish, I did understand the word You created here - at once.

The word telestial has remained in the mystery status...
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

palerobber wrote:this Facebook group is frankly a much better approach than the Pants one (not that there was anything wrong with that one) -- it's a simple, concrete, actionable request to change an institutional policy with no theological basis.

Yup. The women are not asking if they can exercise any 'priesthood function' so far as I can see. They are just asking that some women may be allowed to pray in public at General Conference, as representatives of the great mass of praying LDS women. Hard to think of a reason against that.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

Chap wrote:
What the hell is his problem?

Well, let me put it this way: during the last three months, we had 'wear a biege shirt day' to church for a protest, 'wear pants day to church' for a protest and now a Facebook page about women giving the opening and closing prayer at general conference. People need to get a life.
I intend to lay a foundation that will revolutionize the whole world.
Joseph Smith

We are “to feed the hungry, to clothe the naked, to provide for the widow, to dry up the tear of the orphan, to comfort the afflicted, whether in this church, or in any other, or in no church at all…”
Joseph Smith
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Chap wrote:
palerobber wrote:this Facebook group is frankly a much better approach than the Pants one (not that there was anything wrong with that one) -- it's a simple, concrete, actionable request to change an institutional policy with no theological basis.

Yup. The women are not asking if they can exercise any 'priesthood function' so far as I can see. They are just asking that some women may be allowed to pray in public at General Conference, as representatives of the great mass of praying LDS women. Hard to think of a reason against that.

Now I see whyme (whom I have on ignore) has popped up again:

whyme wrote:<ignored stuff>

If whyme has posted any kind of coherent argument against women being allowed to participate in the public prayer offered at General Conference, please quote him. If not, please don't bother.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

Chap wrote:
If whyme has posted any kind of coherent argument against women being allowed to participate in the public prayer offered at General Conference, please quote him. If not, please don't bother.

I think that exmormons and mad hatters are attempting to nitpick their way through Mormonism. In truth, they would never be satisfied. There will always be something to moan and groan about. It is endless, never ending.
I intend to lay a foundation that will revolutionize the whole world.
Joseph Smith

We are “to feed the hungry, to clothe the naked, to provide for the widow, to dry up the tear of the orphan, to comfort the afflicted, whether in this church, or in any other, or in no church at all…”
Joseph Smith