Let Women Pray in General Conference | Facebook

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_hobo1512
_Emeritus

Re: Let Women Pray in General Conference | Facebook

Post by _hobo1512 »

harmony wrote:
Chap wrote:What the hell is his problem?

Chronic CathoMormonism.

He ain't Catholic, that's for sure. Unless of course you count him hanging out with his imaginary nun and priest friends. Nobody else has been able to see them. :rolleyes:

They don't claim him, Mormons don't claim him, what to do, what to do, what to do with the whack a do?
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

why me wrote:
Well, let me put it this way: during the last three months, we had 'wear a biege shirt day' to church for a protest, 'wear pants day to church' for a protest and now a Facebook page about women giving the opening and closing prayer at general conference. People need to get a life.

What if their life is the church?
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Post by _Sethbag »

why me wrote:People need to get a life. The economy is in the toilet. People are suffering throughout the world because of no work and exploitation. Many are poor without a pot to crap in...and we have this.

You're right. There are just too many things out there that need our attention. We should stop going to silly churches like the Mormons. It's a waste of time and resources that could be repurposed to improving our economy.

Congrats for seeing the wisdom in this!
However, the good news is that Mormonism has made its mark and is now a frontline church and so, it must put up with nonsense as any other mainline church.

The Mormon church is just as made-up and invented as every other church out there. It's finally being treated as just as made-up as the Catholics and everyone else. You've come a long way baby!
Mormonism ceased being a compelling topic for me when I finally came to terms with its transformation from a personality cult into a combination of a real estate company, a SuperPac, and Westboro Baptist Church. - Kishkumen
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Post by _Sethbag »

why me wrote:I think that exmormons and mad hatters are attempting to nitpick their way through Mormonism. In truth, they would never be satisfied. There will always be something to moan and groan about. It is endless, never ending.

You're right. I will never be satisfied with answers to problems in Mormonism because Mormonism isn't true. It's made-up. It's an invention of man. And there's just too much evidence that demonstrates or supports this. So as long as the church exists, you're right, there will always be reasons to object to it.
Mormonism ceased being a compelling topic for me when I finally came to terms with its transformation from a personality cult into a combination of a real estate company, a SuperPac, and Westboro Baptist Church. - Kishkumen
_Mormon Think
_Emeritus

Post by _Mormon Think »

If women can give prayers in the local meetings why hasn't one given a prayer in general conference? Tis a valid question.
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Post by _Sethbag »

Mormon Think wrote:If women can give prayers in the local meetings why hasn't one given a prayer in general conference? Tis a valid question.

My guess is that they're waiting for the Lord to tell them that this ought to happen. Naturally, they'll be waiting forever.

At last, upon sufficient public pressure, one of the Big 15 will get this wild hair and ask the others why they don't just get together, pray to the Lord, inform Him that they have this idea to let women pray in Conference and would he please chime in on it. Afterwards they'll look around at each other and say hey, I feel pretty good about it, how about you? They'll reach some critical mass of agreement, and then tears will be shed, hearts will be touched, and legends of revelations great and marvelous will be born, and finally, in 2047, a woman will say the opening prayer in General Conference.

Isn't it wonderful? Isn't it marvelous?
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

Sethbag wrote:You're right. I will never be satisfied with answers to problems in Mormonism because Mormonism isn't true. It's made-up. It's an invention of man. And there's just too much evidence that demonstrates or supports this.

Pascal's wager? We will all be that much smarter when we die. Nice to place a bet and see what happens.
I intend to lay a foundation that will revolutionize the whole world.
Joseph Smith

We are “to feed the hungry, to clothe the naked, to provide for the widow, to dry up the tear of the orphan, to comfort the afflicted, whether in this church, or in any other, or in no church at all…”
Joseph Smith
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

consiglieri wrote:
why me wrote:
Well, let me put it this way: during the last three months, we had 'wear a biege shirt day' to church for a protest, 'wear pants day to church' for a protest and now a Facebook page about women giving the opening and closing prayer at general conference. People need to get a life.

What if their life is the church?

They need to get another life. If this is what they are concerned about, it is time to move on to a more liberal church. But really, pants day, biege shrit day, Facebook protest etc.....it gets a little immature after a while. Sort of like brainstorming for more nutty protest ideas.
I intend to lay a foundation that will revolutionize the whole world.
Joseph Smith

We are “to feed the hungry, to clothe the naked, to provide for the widow, to dry up the tear of the orphan, to comfort the afflicted, whether in this church, or in any other, or in no church at all…”
Joseph Smith
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

Pascal was Mormon?
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Nomomo
_Emeritus

Post by _Nomomo »

mmm.... The phrase "slippery slope" comes to mind. This kind of trend is scary stuff for those old damned dinosaurs....err... I mean the Brethren.
The Universe is stranger than we can imagine.