Let Women Pray in General Conference | Facebook

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Re: Let Women Pray in General Conference | Facebook

Post by _consiglieri »

why me wrote:
consiglieri wrote:What if their life is the church?

They need to get another life.

So Mormons who question LDS practices should just up and get out?

That sounds extreme, especially when your every other post deals with speaking your mind in church meetings.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_TrashcanMan79
_Emeritus

Post by _TrashcanMan79 »

Peggy Stack has picked it up: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsfaithblog/55627824-180/women-general-church-conference.html.csp

After creating a national buzz with its "Wear Pants to Church Day," the same group of Mormon feminists has launched a letter-writing campaign to LDS leaders called "Let Women Pray in General Conference."

"While women hold important positions within the church, a woman has never given the opening or closing prayer at General Conference," it says on the website created by the group, All Enlisted. "We ask that women be given the opportunity to pray in General Conference, as a symbol of equality within our church."

The site notes that women were not invited to speak in the Utah-based church’s twice-yearly meeting — now beamed to millions of Mormons worldwide — until 1984. But, in 1978, then-President Spencer W. Kimball issued a statement allowing women to pray in their local congregations.

"There is no scriptural prohibition against sisters offering prayers," Kimball said in a First Presidency statement, and it is "permissible for sisters to offer prayers in any meetings they attend."

All Enlisted is urging members to write to various Mormon leaders, including Linda K. Burton, Relief Society president; Elaine S. Dalton, Young Women general president; Rosemary M. Wixom, Primary general president; Jeffrey R. Holland, Quorum of Twelve Apostles; and David F. Evans and Anthony D. Perkins, members of the First Quorum of the Seventy.

People can also sign a petition at the website, asking the authorities to invite a woman to pray at the April 2013 General Conference.

The LDS Church had no immediate comment.
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

TrashcanMan79 wrote:Peggy Stack has picked it up: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsfaithblog/55627824-180/women-general-church-conference.html.csp

After creating a national buzz with its "Wear Pants to Church Day," the same group of Mormon feminists has launched a letter-writing campaign to LDS leaders called "Let Women Pray in General Conference."

"While women hold important positions within the church, a woman has never given the opening or closing prayer at General Conference," it says on the website created by the group, All Enlisted. "We ask that women be given the opportunity to pray in General Conference, as a symbol of equality within our church."

The site notes that women were not invited to speak in the Utah-based church’s twice-yearly meeting — now beamed to millions of Mormons worldwide — until 1984. But, in 1978, then-President Spencer W. Kimball issued a statement allowing women to pray in their local congregations.

"There is no scriptural prohibition against sisters offering prayers," Kimball said in a First Presidency statement, and it is "permissible for sisters to offer prayers in any meetings they attend."

All Enlisted is urging members to write to various Mormon leaders, including Linda K. Burton, Relief Society president; Elaine S. Dalton, Young Women general president; Rosemary M. Wixom, Primary general president; Jeffrey R. Holland, Quorum of Twelve Apostles; and David F. Evans and Anthony D. Perkins, members of the First Quorum of the Seventy.

People can also sign a petition at the website, asking the authorities to invite a woman to pray at the April 2013 General Conference.

My point confirmed. Same group of women who have nothing better to do with their lives. Lets brainstorm and find something to moan about types. Pathetic.
I intend to lay a foundation that will revolutionize the whole world.
Joseph Smith

We are “to feed the hungry, to clothe the naked, to provide for the widow, to dry up the tear of the orphan, to comfort the afflicted, whether in this church, or in any other, or in no church at all…”
Joseph Smith
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

consiglieri wrote:
So Mormons who question LDS practices should just up and get out?

That sounds extreme, especially when your every other post deals with speaking your mind in church meetings.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

My point was simple: time for some maturity which these women do not have.

Pants day did not work so....what to do now?....oh...lets try this....maybe this will have legs...and if not...lets brainstorm for other ideas....we lds feminists (Most likely most have left the lds church) need to put our feet down....against male lds patriarchy.
I intend to lay a foundation that will revolutionize the whole world.
Joseph Smith

We are “to feed the hungry, to clothe the naked, to provide for the widow, to dry up the tear of the orphan, to comfort the afflicted, whether in this church, or in any other, or in no church at all…”
Joseph Smith
_TrashcanMan79
_Emeritus

Post by _TrashcanMan79 »

SLTrib wrote:"There is no scriptural prohibition against sisters offering prayers," Kimball said in a First Presidency statement....

Unless you count 1 Corinthians 14:34: "Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law."

_Darth J
_Emeritus

Post by _Darth J »

why me wrote:Same group of women who have nothing better to do with their lives. Lets brainstorm and find something to moan about types. Pathetic.

Irony meter measures irony.
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

why me wrote:
My point was simple: time for some maturity which these women do not have.

Pants day did not work so....what to do now?....oh...lets try this....maybe this will have legs...and if not...lets brainstorm for other ideas....we lds feminists (Most likely most have left the lds church) need to put our feet down....against male lds patriarchy.

Is it your position the "mature" thing to do is nothing?

And if Pants-Day did not work, why are we talking about it?

And why are others talking about it?

At a minimum, it obtained an official dispensation from the LDS Church that it is fine for women to wear pants to church.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_ZelphtheGreat
_Emeritus

Post by _ZelphtheGreat »

Have to wonder at the foolishness of leaders that allow something this petty to become an issue at all. The prayers of women aren't as good as those of the men?
“If paying tithing means that you can’t pay for water or electricity, pay tithing. If paying tithing means that you can’t pay your rent, pay tithing. Even if paying tithing means that you don’t have enough money to feed your family, pay tithing." Ensign/2012/12
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Post by _Sethbag »

why me wrote:
Sethbag wrote:You're right. I will never be satisfied with answers to problems in Mormonism because Mormonism isn't true. It's made-up. It's an invention of man. And there's just too much evidence that demonstrates or supports this.

Pascal's wager? We will all be that much smarter when we die. Nice to place a bet and see what happens.

Are you sacrificing children? No? Aren't you worried that you might die and find out that Molech or Baal were in fact the right answer?
Mormonism ceased being a compelling topic for me when I finally came to terms with its transformation from a personality cult into a combination of a real estate company, a SuperPac, and Westboro Baptist Church. - Kishkumen
_palerobber
_Emeritus

Post by _palerobber »

TrashcanMan79 wrote:Peggy Stack has picked it up: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsfaithblog/55627824-180/women-general-church-conference.html.csp

[...]

and what can they possibly say? i can't even imagine.

with a policy this out of the Christian & American mainstream, it really ought to get the Bott treatment -- we don't know when or why this folk doctrine started, blah, blah, we vehemently reject sexism, etc etc. but for that response to be taken even a little seriously, they need to have first ended the practice. so what can they say?