President Uchtdorf at CES

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Sammy Jankins
_Emeritus

President Uchtdorf at CES

Post by _Sammy Jankins »

For you consideration President Uchtdorf said this at CES today. Starting at 33:00
I transcribed this, so I apologize if there are any errors and I will correct them as needed.
For those who already embrace the truth his primary strategy is to spread the seeds of doubt. For example he[The Devil] has caused many members of the church to stumble when they discover information about the church that seems to contradict what they had learned previously. If you experience such a moment remember that in this age of information there are many who create doubt about anything and everything at anytime and everyplace. You will find even those who still claim that they have evidence that the earth is flat. That the moon is a hologram. It looks like it a little bit. And that certain movie stars are really aliens from another planet. And it is always good to keep in mind just because something is printed on paper, appears on the internet, is frequently repeated or has a powerful group of followers doesn't make it true. Sometimes untrue claims or information are presented in such a way that they appear quite credible; however, when you are confronted with information that is in conflict with the revealed word of God remember that the blind men in the parable of the elephant would never be able to accurately describe the full truth. We simply don't know all things. We can't see everything. What may seem contradictory now may be perfectly understandable as we search for and receive more trustworthy information. Because we see through a glass darkly we have to trust the Lord who sees all things clearly.

The whole talk is about finding and knowing truth. There is a little more both before and after this quote. Starting at about 30:00.
_Uther
_Emeritus

Re: President Uchtdorf at CES

Post by _Uther »

It is always great to hear what the Lord is revealing through his servants the prophets in our day and age.

Sammy Jankins transcribing President Uchtdorf wrote:For those who already embrace the truth his primary strategy is to spread the seeds of doubt.

The Devil stands behid doubt. So doubting is giving in to the Devils temptations. I shall henceforth cease to doubt!
I understand that I can't find truth if I doubt.

Sammy Jankins transcribing President Uchtdorf wrote:For example he[The Devil] has caused many members of the church to stumble when they discover information about the church that seems to contradict what they had learned previously.

It's the Devil who causes members of the church to "stumble"! Logic and reason are the tools of the Devil, while shuffeling away undesired thoughts and repeating mantras is the Lords way.
Shame on the members who have problems with the beloved and revered prophet Joseph manipulating little girls into secret marriages. It was not about sex, and there is no evidence he had sex with them, and if he did he was just doing the will of the Lord.

Sammy Jankins transcribing President Uchtdorf wrote: If you experience such a moment remember that in this age of information there are many who create doubt about anything and everything at anytime and everyplace.

What a great comfort, and explanation!

Sammy Jankins transcribing President Uchtdorf wrote:You will find even those who still claim that they have evidence that the earth is flat. That the moon is a hologram. It looks like it a little bit. And that certain movie stars are really aliens from another planet.

More great, inspired and to the point examples that comforts me so strongly I want to shout "Hosanna". Thanks for revealing that people whom believe the critics are less intelligent than those who keep believing!

Sammy Jankins transcribing President Uchtdorf wrote:And it is always good to keep in mind just because something is printed on paper, appears on the internet, is frequently repeated or has a powerful group of followers doesn't make it true.

Oh,, isnt it?? Dang! I believed so up until the very moment the Lords annointed revealed othervise. It is clear that pure intelligence is streaming forth here.
Thank God the Book of Mormon is printed on paper, that FAIR/FARMS/LDS.org appear on the internet to strenghten faith, the church teaches me daily rituals of repetion to keep the faith, and that we are part of the fastest growing church upon the face of the earth!

Sammy Jankins transcribing President Uchtdorf wrote:Sometimes untrue claims or information are presented in such a way that they appear quite credible; however, when you are confronted with information that is in conflict with the revealed word of God remember that the blind men in the parable of the elephant would never be able to accurately describe the full truth.

I now understand that there is a connection between elephants and untrue information. Only those who believe can see clearly!

Sammy Jankins transcribing President Uchtdorf wrote:We simply don't know all things. We can't see everything. What may seem contradictory now may be perfectly understandable as we search for and receive more trustworthy information. Because we see through a glass darkly we have to trust the Lord who sees all things clearly.

I am now confortable with not understanding, knowing, or wanting to know. I will trust in the leaders of the corporation of the church of jesus christ of latter day saints!

So to sum it up after removing the smoke and disco lights:
Directly from on high, the will of the Lord, the comfort and succor to the weak;

"Its your fault if you disbelieve, because you can't expect to understand, just to keep clinging on and trusting in the lords annointed ones".
Last edited by Guest on Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
About Joseph Smith.. How do you think his persona was influenced by being the storyteller since childhood? Mastering the art of going pale, changing his voice, and mesmerizing his audience.. How do you think he was influenced by keeping secrets and lying for his wife and the church members for decades?
_Drifting
_Emeritus

Post by _Drifting »

Sammy Jankins wrote:For you consideration President Uchtdorf said this at CES today. Starting at 33:00
I transcribed this, so I apologize if there are any errors and I will correct them as needed.
For those who already embrace the truth his primary strategy is to spread the seeds of doubt. For example he[The Devil] has caused many members of the church to stumble when they discover information about the church that seems to contradict what they had learned previously. If you experience such a moment remember that in this age of information there are many who create doubt about anything and everything at anytime and everyplace. You will find even those who still claim that they have evidence that the earth is flat. That the moon is a hologram. It looks like it a little bit. And that certain movie stars are really aliens from another planet. And it is always good to keep in mind just because something is printed on paper, appears on the internet, is frequently repeated or has a powerful group of followers doesn't make it true. Sometimes untrue claims or information are presented in such a way that they appear quite credible; however, when you are confronted with information that is in conflict with the revealed word of God remember that the blind men in the parable of the elephant would never be able to accurately describe the full truth. We simply don't know all things. We can't see everything. What may seem contradictory now may be perfectly understandable as we search for and receive more trustworthy information. Because we see through a glass darkly we have to trust the Lord who sees all things clearly.

The whole talk is about finding and knowing truth. There is a little more both before and after this quote. Starting at about 30:00.

Oh the irony...
“We look to not only the spiritual but also the temporal, and we believe that a person who is impoverished temporally cannot blossom spiritually.”
Keith McMullin - Counsellor in Presiding Bishopric

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

SJ,

Thanks for taking the time to transcribe this passage from the video.

I always sort of liked Uchdorf, in spite of his position in the Church, and assumed that he was smarter (and more honest) than to say things like this. Any trace of his Teutonic background, as reflected in a love and talent for precision and logic, is certainly missing from this passage.

Seems pretty clear that the top leadership of the Church really needs new direction for dealing with the sordid history of the LDS Church and its effect on LDS foundational truth claims. Among the big 15, there are only so many fingers for what is becoming a very weak and leaky dike.

Hard to believe that educated CES staff could really believe or take comfort in this kind of illogical and subjective (head in the sand) approach to what is arguably the most important challenge faced by the LDS Church.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

Condensed version:
I am the great and powerful Oz. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Everything at mormonthink is wrong. Stop looking behind that curtain.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

Yep, irony at its best.

And the devout, and the fanatical like the MDDB crowd, have no clue....just how ironic it is.
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson
_Willy Law
_Emeritus

Post by _Willy Law »

Still trying to figure out why the devil would want to convince everyone that the moon is a hologram and the earth is flat.
It is my province to teach to the Church what the doctrine is. It is your province to echo what I say or to remain silent.
Bruce R. McConkie
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

In effect Uchtdorf has tried to place the work of people like D. Michael Quinn, Dan Vogel, Richard Bushman, Will Bagley, Michael Marquardt, and so on, in the same category as believers in alien abduction, flat earthers and a holographic moon.

It is statements like this that only serve to alienate those with serious questions about the way the Church presents its past.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_excom
_Emeritus

Post by _excom »

Wouldn't anyone consider this an absolute demonstration of one trying to cause a conformed or a restricted way of thinking, or in other words, brainwashing?
_gramps
_Emeritus

Post by _gramps »

excom wrote:Wouldn't anyone consider this an absolute demonstration of one trying to cause a conformed or a restricted way of thinking, or in other words, brainwashing?

Not ldsfaqs, or bcspace, or.....oh yeah, throw whyme in there for good measure.
I detest my loose style and my libertine sentiments. I thank God, who has removed from my eyes the veil...
Adrian Beverland