Dieter F. Uchtdorf - hostage negotiator...?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_palerobber
_Emeritus

Re: Dieter F. Uchtdorf - hostage negotiator...?

Post by _palerobber »

New Strait Times, 12/19/1973:
[...] The Boeing-737 jet landed in the desert near Kuwait airport, apparently after it was denied permission to touch down on the airport runway. An airport official said: "We don't know how deep the wheels are buried in the sand." Kuwaiti Defence Minister Sheik Saad al Abdullah was reported to be at the airport control tower negotiating with the hijackers by radio. [...]

this is just one news report, but since what they're reporting is plausible to begin with (Abdullah, unlike Uchtdorf, spoke the same language as the hijackers and was a high ranking government official) i'm inclined to assume it's accurate until i see substantial evidence to the contrary.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Kuwaiti Defence Minister Sheik Saad al Abdullah was reported to be at the airport control tower negotiating with the hijackers by radio. [...]

Are we to assume the Sheik acted alone or could he have received substantive input from the chief of the Lufthansa 737 fleet? A few paragraphs in the Wikipedia probably leaves out the breadth of the back story that inevitably accompanies such a hijacking, unless of course the Sheik was played by Bruce Willis. Bruce single handedly took care of a hijacking, not once but in several sequels.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Hasa Diga Eebowai
_Emeritus

Post by _Hasa Diga Eebowai »

-
Last edited by Guest on Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_palerobber
_Emeritus

Post by _palerobber »

moksha wrote:
Kuwaiti Defence Minister Sheik Saad al Abdullah was reported to be at the airport control tower negotiating with the hijackers by radio. [...]

Are we to assume the Sheik acted alone or could he have received substantive input from the chief of the Lufthansa 737 fleet? A few paragraphs in the Wikipedia probably leaves out the breadth of the back story that inevitably accompanies such a hijacking, unless of course the Sheik was played by Bruce Willis. Bruce single handedly took care of a hijacking, not once but in several sequels.

you seem to be turning this on its head. no one claimed Abdullah was Bruce Willis. if anything it's Uchtdorf's bio that paints him as Bruce Willis. what this news report and the wikipedia article both confirm is that Uchtdorf could not have played the principle role his bio gives the impression of because the principle actors were the Kuwaitis. it's not at all implausible that Uchtdorf played a minor role (though i haven't been able to find any contemporary news account that mentions him by name or position) so i would be inclined to just take his word for it, but then he undercuts his own credibility by overstating his role in the bio.
_Jaybear
_Emeritus

Post by _Jaybear »

palerobber wrote:you seem to be turning this on its head. no one claimed Abdullah was Bruce Willis. if anything it's Uchtdorf's bio that paints him as Bruce Willis. what this news report and the wikipedia article both confirm is that Uchtdorf could not have played the principle role his bio gives the impression of because the principle actors were the Kuwaitis. it's not at all implausible that Uchtdorf played a minor role (though i haven't been able to find any contemporary news account that mentions him by name or position) so i would be inclined to just take his word for it, but then he undercuts his own credibility by overstating his role in the bio.

Your analysis is spot on.

The problem is that bio says his mission was to "negotiate", not facilitate, assist or aid in the negotiations. The bio later says, without any clarification that his mission "was successfully accomplished," leading the uninformed and gullible reader to believe that he had successfully negotiated the release of the hostages.

To be fair, however, the bio said he was to negotiate "in every setting possible." Since there was probably no setting in which he had the opportunity to negotiate with the terrorist, his mission can accurately been labeled a success even if someone else had negotiated their release, and he played no role.

So the bio, from a PR standpoint was extremely well written, in that it was both completely accurate and totally misleading.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Jaybear wrote:
So the bio, from a PR standpoint was extremely well written, in that it was both completely accurate and totally misleading.

I suspect this bio statement was more the result of the embellishment squad than the intent of President Uchtdorf to deceive us. He probably mentioned his role in the resolution of this hijacking and the squad immediately deployed hot air generators, sugar coating sprayers and the cast of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Equality
_Emeritus

Post by _Equality »

moksha wrote:
Jaybear wrote:

I suspect this bio statement was more the result of the embellishment squad than the intent of President Uchtdorf to deceive us. He probably mentioned his role in the resolution of this hijacking and the squad immediately deployed hot air generators, sugar coating sprayers and the cast of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat.

But Uchtdorf has done nothing to correct the misimpressions, which makes him complicit in them. Maybe if Mormon church leaders did more to correct things like this, members like Manti Te'o wouldn't think that allowing deceptions to stand is ethical behavior.
"The Church is authoritarian, tribal, provincial, and founded on a loosely biblical racist frontier sex cult."--Juggler Vain
"The lds church is the Amway of religions. Even with all the soap they sell, they still manage to come away smelling dirty."--Some Schmo
_palerobber
_Emeritus

Post by _palerobber »

moksha wrote:I suspect this bio statement was more the result of the embellishment squad than the intent of President Uchtdorf to deceive us. He probably mentioned his role in the resolution of this hijacking and the squad immediately deployed hot air generators, sugar coating sprayers and the cast of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat.

i don't disagree with you here.
_kairos
_Emeritus

Post by _kairos »

man this paul dunn rising!

dieter was a 33 y/o pilot and probably spoke english and german. he flew a plane somewhere around the operational area of the hostage situation and flew home.

the book needs a quote from the lufthansa bossman on what he told dieter to do , not do. the guy is probably dead, so the lds can embellish the account to make it look like dieter was some sort of hero.

otoh how about dieter meeting up for drink at the closest watering hole to the COB and telling us how hot the lufthansa stewardess(i know flght attendant) was as he flew that 737 at mach 1.2 with her on his lap whispering orders from frankfurt " dieter go links, nein go richt- u are so bravvvvve"

just sayin
k