for what it's worth, my review of Greg Smith's "review" of Mormon Stories

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Mayan Elephant
_Emeritus

Re: for what it's worth, my review of Greg Smith's "review" of Mormon Stori

Post by _Mayan Elephant »

Kishkumen wrote:Can we split off the last exchange between Mayan Elephant and Water Dog. No need to poop on every thread for the sake of the Dehlin lynching party.

Oh, and take off this one too.

No. We can't.

where to start with the editing and tidying up for you Kish? At the point where dehlin offers water dog the mic? Or at the point where such an insane idea is pointed out and your feelings get hurt?
"Rocks don't speak for themselves" is an unfortunate phrase to use in defense of a book produced by a rock actually 'speaking' for itself... (I have a Question, 5.15.15)
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Kishkumen wrote:Can we split off the last exchange between Mayan Elephant and Water Dog. No need to poop on every thread for the sake of the Dehlin lynching party.

Oh, and take off this one too.

It's beginning to remind me of the Kent phenomenon. :eek:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

This is one of the very best OPs and best threads on this board, to let it get crapped upon in this way is a travesty. Please split it off.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Mayan Elephant
_Emeritus

Editing it is more of a travesty than a simple bump and response.
"Rocks don't speak for themselves" is an unfortunate phrase to use in defense of a book produced by a rock actually 'speaking' for itself... (I have a Question, 5.15.15)
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Mayan Elephant wrote:Editing it is more of a travesty than a simple bump and response.

No, it isn't.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Mayan Elephant
_Emeritus

If you had objected to the post that was bumped when it was made or in the weeks since, maybe your whining would have some validity. Nothing since has been off-topic to the contemporary conversation or the OP. Editing topics and conversations for your sensitivities is overkill when you could have either addressed the topic or ignored it.

I see no precedent for editing threads for veering off a bit or hurting your feelings. Nor do i see precedent for editing threads after a bump if it is topical for the OP or another thread.

The exchange leading to your bitch is less off-topic than your bitch. And I hope this stunt doesn't become the reason for editing.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Mayan Elephant wrote:If you had objected to the post that was bumped when it was made or in the weeks since, maybe your whining would have some validity. Nothing since has been off-topic to the contemporary conversation or the OP. Editing topics and conversations for your sensitivities is overkill when you could have either addressed the topic or ignored it.

I see no precedent for editing threads for veering off a bit or hurting your feelings. Nor do i see precedent for editing threads after a bump if it is topical for the OP or another thread.

The exchange leading to your bitch is less off-topic than your bitch. And I hope this stunt doesn't become the reason for editing.

None of the crap you have appended to this thread has anything to do with Rollo's criticism of the Dehlin hit piece. So, piss off.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I did a quick search on Reddit, and it seems Mr. Dehlin helps quite a few Mormons either make peace with their faith, or transition:

http://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/search ... ance&t=all

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Rollo Tomasi
_Emeritus

Post by _Rollo Tomasi »

I can't believe it has now been close to two years since I wrote that far too long post. I put in a lot of time because I was angry after reading Greg Smith's two papers published by Interpreter, which I found to be unworthy of ANY scholarly consideration. And I feel the same way today.
"Moving beyond apologist persuasion, LDS polemicists furiously (and often fraudulently) attack any non-traditional view of Mormonism. They don't mince words -- they mince the truth."

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Rollo Tomasi wrote:I can't believe it has now been close to two years since I wrote that far too long post. I put in a lot of time because I was angry after reading Greg Smith's two papers published by Interpreter, which I found to be unworthy of ANY scholarly consideration. And I feel the same way today.

You were right then and you are right now.