Why is There Anything at All?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Tarski
_Emeritus

Re: Why is There Anything at All?

Post by _Tarski »

Droopy wrote:"Level of phenomenal manifestation"? The level, plane or mode of reality at which any specific phenomena are manifest as perceptual entities, objects, conditions, states of affairs etc.

Well, that wasn't too helpful since it replaced one unpacked phrase by another slightly longer one as if it could be settled by providing a sort of dictionary style definition.

Let me be more specific. Do ignore any please or we can proceed.

1) Can you explain why you think "level", "plane" or "mode" are all so similar as to be encompassed by your use of the word "level" in the phrase "Level of phenomenal manifestation".

2) By "perceptual entities" do you mean something more like "perceived entities" or "perceivable entities"? Do you mean to use the term phenomena in the scientific sense (for example the phenomenology of a class of physical processes or in the more philosophical sense as used in idealistic philosophies such as that of Husserl? ?

3) Going back to the first question of level, do you think that reality comes in "levels"? If so, what is that order? Is it a strict linear order or something more like a partial order (as in poset) where for example there may be points or "levels" that are not comparable (an example of a partial order that is not linear is given by set theoretic inclusion). Do you mean to refer to something more like a hierarchy? What sort? Is this something we all know about already or something you dreamed up by mingling scripture with the philosophies of men?

4) In my mind, a mode is not the same thing as a level. Could you please give an example of a mode of reality?

5) Are you going to adopt the jargon of process theology (a la Whitehead) and act like it is obligatory for me to buy into that language game?
when believers want to give their claims more weight, they dress these claims up in scientific terms. When believers want to belittle atheism or secular humanism, they call it a "religion". -Beastie

yesterday's Mormon doctrine is today's Mormon folklore.-Buffalo
_Droopy
_Emeritus

Post by _Droopy »

Tarski wrote:
1) Can you explain why you think "level", "plane" or "mode" are all so similar as to be encompassed by your use of the word "level" in the phrase "Level of phenomenal manifestation".

"Level" and "plane" are meant to denote actually existing regions of phenomenal reality, very analogous to the bandwidths of the electromagnetic spectrum, except that, unlike the electromagnetic spectrum, these levels are hierarchal, or vertical, and in moving from one to another (different "kingdoms") one moves from or to higher or lower levels of phenomenal reality (that includes electromagnetic phenomena but encompasses all aspects of that which is capable of manifestation as an existent reality or state of affairs, including matter, energy, consciousness, mind, and intelligence, in all forms or modes of expression. I use "mode" in its sense of "condition," "expression," and "quality" (or qualities) inhering in and/or expressed through a given phenomenon.

Hence, various levels (celestial, terrestrial, telestial, and any or all sub-levels or regions within these major levels of phenomenal manifestation) of reality express different modes of existence, some of them (such as between celestial and telestial) radically divergent in both fundamental nature and mode of existence within the perimeters of each

2) By "perceptual entities" do you mean something more like "perceived entities" or "perceivable entities"? Do you mean to use the term phenomena in the scientific sense (for example the phenomenology of a class of physical processes or in the more philosophical sense as used in idealistic philosophies such as that of Husserl? ?

I mean any entities, phenomena, objects, substance, material, sense data, or otherwise any actually existing state of affairs within one's perceptual range or perceptual field, which is constricted or expanded depending upon the level of reality at which one perceives.

3) Going back to the first question of level, do you think that reality comes in "levels"?

Yes. The restored gospel teaches us that we really live in a "multiverse," not a "universe."

If so, what is that order? Is it a strict linear order or something more like a partial order (as in poset) where for example there may be points or "levels" that are not comparable (an example of a partial order that is not linear is given by set theoretic inclusion). Do you mean to refer to something more like a hierarchy? What sort? Is this something we all know about already or something you dreamed up by mingling scripture with the philosophies of men?

The various if not myriad levels of existence (including the "degrees of glory" of the post-resurrection state of existence) are hierarchal, quite so.
4) In my mind, a mode is not the same thing as a level. Could you please give an example of a mode of reality?

Well, I didn't say they were the same. I was setting out a small list of terms pointing to closely related, interconnected concepts. As I explained above, by "mode" I mean the manner or way in which existence and all phenomena within that state or level of existence are manifest as phenomena and the underlying laws/principles upon which they are grounded.

5) Are you going to adopt the jargon of process theology (a la Whitehead) and act like it is obligatory for me to buy into that language game?

I don't play language games. I'm not a postmodernist, nor a follower of Whitehead (although not well versed in process theology, what I've seen of it is interesting and provocative in some of its key assertions, but with any number of reservations or modifications)
Nothing is going to startle us more when we pass through the veil to the other side than to realize how well we know our Father [in Heaven] and how familiar his face is to us

- President Ezra Taft Benson

I am so old that I can remember when most of the people promoting race hate were white.

- Thomas Sowell
_lulu
_Emeritus

Post by _lulu »

Because if there wasn't, there would be no Droopy.

And we wouldn't want that, now, would we.
"And the human knew the source of life, the woman of him, and she conceived and bore Cain, and said, 'I have procreated a man with Yahweh.'" Gen. 4:1, interior quote translated by D. Bokovoy.
_Tarski
_Emeritus

Post by _Tarski »

Droopy wrote:"Level" and "plane" are meant to denote actually existing regions of phenomenal reality, very analogous to the bandwidths of the electromagnetic spectrum,

I don't see why a level is the same as a region. You don't seem to be using words very precisely. Are you talking about a spatial region?

Also, the word bandwidth is being used in an odd way here. There are no built in division lines in the electromagnetic spectrum that carve out special regions and any reference to a particular range of frequencies would be arbitrary unless one is using the word bandwidth to describe a particular instance of a signal in which case the bandwidth would roughly refer to the width of the Fourier transform of the signal--this is more like the usual sense. Frequency range would have worked better.

except that, unlike the electromagnetic spectrum, these levels are hierarchal, or vertical, and in moving from one to another (different "kingdoms") one moves from or to higher or lower levels of phenomenal reality

In what sense are the levels vertical? As you know there is no absolute prefered sense of up in space so I assume that the verticality can't be a literal spatial "up". Is it metaphorical? As one moves from level to level, how does one know that one has move to a higher as opposed to lower level? Is it a mere convention or is there an objective, observer independent, means of determining that?

I am also still confused by your continued use of "phenomenal" reality. What distinguished phenomenal reality from reality simpliciter.
Is this something about apperances to a mind or about what exists in consciousness (redness, pain etc.). In the case of a nonveridical perception of X, is it X or is it what is present to consciousness that is the phenomenon? How about a quark which is never directly percieved? It might helpo to name something that isn't phenomenal.

(that includes electromagnetic phenomena but encompasses all aspects of that which is capable of manifestation as an existent reality or state of affairs, including matter, energy, consciousness, mind, and intelligence, in all forms or modes of expression.

Hmm, why not just say anything then. Is existent reality different from nonexistent reality? I am a little unsure about how you intend to use the word reality in this context.
I use "mode" in its sense of "condition," "expression," and "quality" (or qualities) inhering in and/or expressed through a given phenomenon.
Thus stated, your notion of mode seems so braod as to be useless and I am especially puzzled about the mode = quality thing. Is there nothing you can say that makes this seem a little less like word salad that has the cadence and general feel of philosophical prose but (unlike the sine philosophical prose I normally encounter in the literature) doesn't quite make sense to me yet?

Hence, various levels (celestial, terrestrial, telestial, and any or all sub-levels or regions within these major levels of phenomenal manifestation) of reality express different modes of existence, some of them (such as between celestial and telestial) radically divergent in both fundamental nature and mode of existence within the perimeters of each

This brings up a question. When you discuss philosophy, do you really intend to incorporate LDS notions such as celestial and so on and treat them on the same footing as empirical notions such as physical, chemical, biological, sociial and so on? This makes it quite difficult since such notions are not backed up with public evidence. There is quite a difference in intellectual content. For example, if I were to say that the biological is a level higher than (supervenes on) the chemical level which in turn rest upon the level of fundamental particles and fields, I would not just be saying that one is higher than the other. I would be able to give a very good idea in some detail of how one level depends on the other and in exactly what sense I am using the word higher.
On the other hand, words like celestial and terrestrial are never explained in terms that have that kind of fundamental explanitory power. Instead we just get other problmatic wordls like "greater" "more perfect" or "a higher plain" etc. This seems like pseudoknowledge to me.
Can you make it more than that and say something that gives me even the remotes feeling of understanding in the way that explaining chemical reacations in terms of the atomics does or like explaining biological structures as being built out of chemical and other more basic notions and structures? I.e., where is the beef?

I mean any entities, phenomena, objects, substance, material, sense data, or otherwise any actually existing state of affairs within one's perceptual range or perceptual field, which is constricted or expanded depending upon the level of reality at which one perceives.

Well, everything then? Or, everything I can see? That is a lot of words to just refer to all that going on out there.

Yes. The restored gospel teaches us that we really live in a "multiverse," not a "universe."

Actually, I believe the notion is that of many worlds but that could just as well refer to planets. I am afraid that the use of the word multiverse here is nothing more than an opportunistic commandeering of scientific jargon. If there is anything of content in the multiverse notion, it is brought to us thanks to the response of physics to things like the landscape problem or by the conjunction of the quantum mechanical Bekenstein bound with a supposition of a spatial infinite universe. In other words, there are several notions of multiverse of varying degrees of scientific respectability and what truth there is there is brought to us by physics and not by revelation.
In fact, the use of the word multiverse or similar words to describe a notion of many "parallel" universes is an old and unoriginal idea in speculative science and religion. Such do not come with an details grounded in known physics and so are little more than the result of flights of fantasy. (The latter is the gospel version--can you show otherwise?).

The various if not myriad levels of existence (including the "degrees of glory" of the post-resurrection state of existence) are hierarchal, quite so.
[Well, I didn't say they were the same. I was setting out a small list of terms pointing to closely related, interconnected concepts. As I explained above, by "mode" I mean the manner or way in which existence and all phenomena within that state or level of existence are manifest as phenomena and the underlying laws/principles upon which they are grounded.
[/quote]
In other words, the universe has structure. Well, that much is obvious.
You also imagine that the furniture of your religious universe (kingdoms and so on) is also structured not on the basis of anything empirical, and not in any enlightening detail and not in nearly as interesting and sophisticated a form as, say, the structures envisioned by Hinduism.

Compare this to how the structures and their hierarchical nature can be actually explained in a way that produces an authentic and appropriate ah ha:
Chemicals combine in various ways to produce substances with novel and beautiful properties but the rules of combination can be understood in terms of valence electrons and the shapes of their wave function (orbitals and all that).
But dare we ask why those shapes? Yes! Those arise because of the harmonic analysis of the spherically symmetric Coulomb potentials --in purely mathematical terms that are rooted in the very symmetries of space itself in the same way that the vibrations of a drum take on characteristic shapes traceable by pure logic to the shape the drum membrane itself. But what about the properties of fundamental particals? Are they just that way because of a divine decree? No! Again, the symmetry transformation group of spacetime together with another natural feature of quantum mechanics predicts that certain particles should be subjects to the action of a so called simply connected cover of the rotation group and out pops the strange notion of spin.
Think of it, the very shapes of flowers, honeycombs, butterflies and so on is ultimately tracable to characteristic vibrational modes of ghostly wave functions and those shapes arise because of the very symmetries of space and time. Indeed the very possibility of matter forming shapes at all is largely grounded in the same basic quantum mechanical mathematics- even the shape and structure of the human body. Hierarchies of structure bubble up from below (the realm of the simple) rather than raining down from an already complex and structured high)
Why even the fact that there is such a thing as momentum or angular momentum, or even engergy is seen to be a consequence of the most basic symmetries of space and time. Think of it, you get hit with a wave that knocks you down and might even destroy your house. This destruction is due to the transfere of energy and momentum which are quantities that arise ineluctably and logically merely from the translational (temporal and spatial) symmetries of spacetime itself.

But should we stop there? Is there something more fundamental from which spacetime and its symmetries arise? Well that leads us to the cutting edge worlds of Plank level physics, noncommutative geometry, and other areas of investigation that contain insights and beautifully deep abstract structures that make any acid trip into a mere yawn by comparison--and unlike acid, and "personal revelation" have the added value of actually containing truth.

Now this is the merest scratch on the surface of a deep world of even more astounding understanding. This is the sort of real understanding that we might hope for in revelation but never get. Instead we get prose that have the ring of profundity but a closer look only reveals there is nothing really there beyond folk wisdom and rather unremarkable imaginations--only an invitation to more fuzzy thinking clothed in an undeserved mere sensation of enlightenment.

There is more inspiration, awe, and profound truth in the first 20 pages of almost any advanced book on mathematics, biology or physics than in the entire LDS cannon--EVEN IF THE LATTER WERE TRUE!.
when believers want to give their claims more weight, they dress these claims up in scientific terms. When believers want to belittle atheism or secular humanism, they call it a "religion". -Beastie

yesterday's Mormon doctrine is today's Mormon folklore.-Buffalo
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Post by _Sethbag »

Droopy wrote:
Sethbag wrote:And if gods can always have existed, then why not the universe?

Remind me not to ever attempt philosophical discussion with you in future.

Droopy, please answer the question.

Mormon cosmology posits that there was never a first cause, because it was, quite literally, gods all the way down.

So the question is, if it's OK for gods always to have existed, then why is it not OK for the universe always to have existed?

I predict that if you choose to respond to this in a substantive way, your answer will include generous helpings of special pleading. Feel free to prove me wrong.
Mormonism ceased being a compelling topic for me when I finally came to terms with its transformation from a personality cult into a combination of a real estate company, a SuperPac, and Westboro Baptist Church. - Kishkumen
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Post by _ludwigm »

Sethbag wrote:Mormon cosmology posits that there was never a first cause, because it was, quite literally, gods all the way down.

Turtles.

viewtopic.php?p=607504#p607504
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei
_lulu
_Emeritus

Post by _lulu »

harmony wrote:This still doesn't answer my question about how the first flash of the big bang was lit....

Give us your best argument that connects your posited fuse lighter with the First Vision.
"And the human knew the source of life, the woman of him, and she conceived and bore Cain, and said, 'I have procreated a man with Yahweh.'" Gen. 4:1, interior quote translated by D. Bokovoy.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Droopy wrote:
Fence Sitter wrote:I prefer the question;

How is there anything at all?

For me, 'Why' seems to beg the question of a creator?

Philosophically, it would only do so if the idea of a creator is already assumed to be a part of the class "everything."

It tautologously is. But, happily, if the creator has some special property that exempts it from being part of "everything" by definitional fiat it's hard to see why some other object of explanadum can't have the same property. Put another way, an already existing God cannot explain the fact that something rather than nothing exists as it fails to account for its own existence. If you ascribe a property like "self-existent" to God, there's no reason that this same property cannot apply to a non-deity object just the same. Therefore, the mere fact that something exists cannot be taken as evidence of God. Otherwise you are special pleading.
_Droopy
_Emeritus

Post by _Droopy »

Sethbag wrote:.

So the question is, if it's OK for gods always to have existed, then why is it not OK for the universe always to have existed?

The "stuff" of which the universe was organized has always existed, as has matter, in some form, at some level, in some mode of manifestation or expression.

What the gospel posits is that the universe could not exist at all as an ordered, coherent, complex, dynamic phenomenon without God's creative activity. The waters of creation, the chaos from whence the organized, complex, hierarchal, symmetrical, finely tuned and calibrated universe arose always existed, and always will.
Nothing is going to startle us more when we pass through the veil to the other side than to realize how well we know our Father [in Heaven] and how familiar his face is to us

I am so old that I can remember when most of the people promoting race hate were white.

- Thomas Sowell
_Droopy
_Emeritus

Post by _Droopy »

Tarski wrote:quote="Droopy"
"Level" and "plane" are meant to denote actually existing regions of phenomenal reality, very analogous to the bandwidths of the electromagnetic spectrum,

I don't see why a level is the same as a region.

Why do you have a problem conceptualizing regions within levels or "spheres" of existence, and levels of existent reality as regions within a larger, overarching reality, or suprareality?

Are you talking about a spatial region?

Spacial and multidimensional.

Also, the word bandwidth is being used in an odd way here. There are no built in division lines in the electromagnetic spectrum that carve out special regions and any reference to a particular range of frequencies would be arbitrary unless one is using the word bandwidth to describe a particular instance of a signal in which case the bandwidth would roughly refer to the width of the Fourier transform of the signal--this is more like the usual sense. Frequency range would have worked better.

That spectrum has a number of discreet levels or regions outside of which perception is limited or nonexistent. The region of visible light does not allow perception in the ultraviolet or infrared range. Special instrumentalities are required to do so.

In what sense are the levels vertical?

They are hierarchal in nature, each one above being, in all things, of greater "glory" than those below and allowing a far greater range and capacity for personal growth.

As you know there is no absolute prefered sense of up in space so I assume that the verticality can't be a literal spatial "up". Is it metaphorical?

Did I say these "degrees of glory" are out in intergalactic space somewhere, free-floating outside of or beyond environmental contexts allowing mental orientation in space, time, and dimension?

As one moves from level to level, how does one know that one has move to a higher as opposed to lower level?

Stars, moon, sun...

Is it a mere convention or is there an objective, observer independent, means of determining that?

One must become the level at which one perceives and interacts to perceive and interact at that level.

I am also still confused by your continued use of "phenomenal" reality. What distinguished phenomenal reality from reality simpliciter.

Is a thought a phenomenon in the same sense that a snowstorm is a "phenomena"? Both are "real," but they are not phenomena in the same sense, and are not discerned or known to exist in the same way. I use this term here as a way to say that "reality" is composed of "phenomena" (reality itself being a phenomena containing and circumscribing all other phenomena within it) which can be apprehended by the mind and senses, but not all phenomena are conspicuous or easily perceived as phenomena simply because they are present, or potentially present, within one's perceptual field.

Is this something about apperances to a mind or about what exists in consciousness (redness, pain etc.). In the case of a nonveridical perception of X, is it X or is it what is present to consciousness that is the phenomenon? How about a quark which is never directly percieved? It might helpo to name something that isn't phenomenal.

Everything that exists, by definition is phenomenal (being a phenomenon), but all phenomena are not perceived as such simply by the fact that they exist (else the question "does God exist" would have been settled long ago as a strictly philosophical problem).

(that includes electromagnetic phenomena but encompasses all aspects of that which is capable of manifestation as an existent reality or state of affairs, including matter, energy, consciousness, mind, and intelligence, in all forms or modes of expression.

Hmm, why not just say anything then. Is existent reality different from nonexistent reality?

Is waking consciousness different from dreaming consciousness? Are not both forms of consciousness, and are not dreams (and anything and anybody encountered within them) "real" in some sense, while yet being nonexistent within "existent" reality?

I am a little unsure about how you intend to use the word reality in this context.

In the same context as the term "truth" is used, with a slight modification, in the D&C. "Reality" is things as they are, as they were, and as they will be, but with emphasis upon "as they are." Truth encompasses future reality, while I would say that "reality" encompasses both past and present (presently existing or post-existent phenomena) with the future as potential reality embedded in the fundamental ontological precondition (truth) that itself underlies the concept of "reality."
Last edited by Guest on Tue May 07, 2013 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Thomas Sowell