Why is There Anything at All?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Droopy
_Emeritus

Why is There Anything at All?

Post by _Droopy »

Is it because some being willed the actuality of existence itself, or because non-existence, in any ultimate, fundamental sense, is logically and ontologically impossible?

In other words, if the only possible state is the state of existence (of matter, energy, being, consciousness, mind, spirit etc.), then the only question remaining is that of what exists, at what level of development, and at what level of phenomenal manifestation.
Nothing is going to startle us more when we pass through the veil to the other side than to realize how well we know our Father [in Heaven] and how familiar his face is to us

- President Ezra Taft Benson

I am so old that I can remember when most of the people promoting race hate were white.

- Thomas Sowell
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Re: Why is There Anything at All?

Post by _Fence Sitter »

I prefer the question;

How is there anything at all?

For me, 'Why' seems to beg the question of a creator?
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Droopy wrote:Is it because some being willed the actuality of existence itself, or because non-existence, in any ultimate, fundamental sense, is logically and ontologically impossible?

In other words, if the only possible state is the state of existence (of matter, energy, being, consciousness, mind, spirit etc.), then the only question remaining is that of what exists, at what level of development, and at what level of phenomenal manifestation.

Beginning that old canard, again, down the path of an infinite regression.
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

Hey Droopy! :smile:

For me, it's not simply why (or how) is there "anything at all", but it is why (or how) is there everything!

Peace,
Ceeboo
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Post by _Sethbag »

I think a better question is how there be a God at all?

The answer to that one is at least as important as how there's anything else. Indeed, I find it far easier to understand how a lump of rock in space can exist, than a mammal god living on Kolob who is infinitely powerful, knowledgeable, and has infinite Celestial sex with a harem of wives.
Mormonism ceased being a compelling topic for me when I finally came to terms with its transformation from a personality cult into a combination of a real estate company, a SuperPac, and Westboro Baptist Church. - Kishkumen
_Tarski
_Emeritus

Post by _Tarski »

Droopy wrote:Is it because some being willed the actuality of existence itself.

I hope you can see that this is not a possibility since the willing being is one of the things that doesn't exist. Remember, the question is why is there anything at all?
Said differently, gods themselves fall under the categrory "anything at all".

Think how silly and self contradictory this is:
Once there was nothing. Not time nor space nor matter nor spirit nor thought nor gods nor devils. But then one day a god willed all these to exist. (huh?)
when believers want to give their claims more weight, they dress these claims up in scientific terms. When believers want to belittle atheism or secular humanism, they call it a "religion". -Beastie

yesterday's Mormon doctrine is today's Mormon folklore.-Buffalo
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

Droopy,

How would knowing the "why" impact on your life?
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_Tarski
_Emeritus

Post by _Tarski »

I guess Droopy didn't have any deep thoughts after all.

I would have like to hear him unpack this phrase: "level of phenomenal manifestation".
Specifically the "level" part.
when believers want to give their claims more weight, they dress these claims up in scientific terms. When believers want to belittle atheism or secular humanism, they call it a "religion". -Beastie

yesterday's Mormon doctrine is today's Mormon folklore.-Buffalo
_Droopy
_Emeritus

Post by _Droopy »

Fence Sitter wrote:I prefer the question;

How is there anything at all?

For me, 'Why' seems to beg the question of a creator?

Philosophically, it would only do so if the idea of a creator is already assumed to be a part of the class "everything."
Nothing is going to startle us more when we pass through the veil to the other side than to realize how well we know our Father [in Heaven] and how familiar his face is to us

I am so old that I can remember when most of the people promoting race hate were white.

- Thomas Sowell
_Droopy
_Emeritus

Post by _Droopy »

sock puppet wrote:Beginning that old canard, again, down the path of an infinite regression.

There's one interlocutor (and usual suspect) effectively out of the discussion.

- Thomas Sowell