Circumcision: Is it ethical?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_rallychild
_Emeritus

Circumcision: Is it ethical?

Post by _rallychild »

My wife and I were discussing this. She is for circumcision, I somewhat oppose circumcision. We "article bashed" back and forth debating the pros and cons of circumcision. What do you guys think?
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Re: Circumcision: Is it ethical?

Post by _Gadianton »

If she is "for it" and you are "somewhat opposed", then it sounds to me like it's ethical.

I think the real question, for you and wife is, "Is it optimal"? Would you agree that something can be ethical but not optimal? Smoking isn't optimal, but is it unethical?

Whether or not it's optimal is one of those questions you'll never get a good answer for. The place it has as a religious rite in a diverse set of cultures and that it isn't material to any notable medical problems -- generally -- is enough to ensure you'll never answer the question. Those overtly for it are probably religious fanatics. And those overtly against it are too anti-religious. Yeah, I'm anti-religion, but I'm not a secular humanist. Well, it's those, usually who quickly convert to secular humanism with full purpose of being, or to some green tree thing, who think science guides them more than it really does, and opportunistically find the relic of witch-doctor medicine in something like circumcision.

In a world where body modifications by tatoos, piercings, augmentations, reductions, or facial injections with one of the most deadly substances known are normal, it's tough to say that a little skin off the Johnson is inherntly evil. At the same time, in a world where we know that religious rites are ineffective, it strains credibility to argue that it's a positive thing let alone a moral imperative. It's one of those things that is what it is, and can go either way.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Why does she want to have you circumcised? :surprised:
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_ControlFreak
_Emeritus

Post by _ControlFreak »

Having circumcised my own son, it really wasn't a big deal. People whine about the pain it causes, but it's no worse than some of the other shots and tests they do to the poor things. Not to mention squeezing them out of a vagina.

However, it is additional trauma, no matter how small, so it warrants asking why you want to do it. Personally, I think it makes a more attractive penis, but that's because I'm used to it. Supposedly there are marginal health benefits. But in the end, it's not that big a deal, do whatever you like. The kid won't be scarred or receive any thetans from the experience.

,edit: by the way, I have a friend who did it as an adult. You can always wait until they are old enough to decide for themselves (8??), but be warned, it is very traumatizing as an adult based on my friend's experience.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

I'm trying to find a study I once read that concluded that guys who are circumcised grow up to be more sensitive to physical pain. I'm not sure how true it is across the board, but in my own case, it would explain some things.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Here's a gay ex-Mormon's perspective on it:

http://tworoadsdiverged.homestead.com/D ... Thing.html

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

We did not have my son circumcised. After consulting with our pediatrician on the pros and cons, we felt that there was more of a chance of urological problems with the elective surgery, so we opted out.

It was actually a good thing we didn't because he was very jaundiced and had to have extensive light treatment that would have been more complex if he had been circumcised.

He is now 9, and has had no cleanliness issues or infections.
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Post by _ludwigm »

I hesitated to comment...

In Hungary, only jews circumcise their sons. (OK, there are a few muslim...).
This makes 4-5% of the population. Maybe 3, maybe 6.
No medical data. The census data about religion helps a little...

as far as I know, in US the rate is around 30-40% (feel free to correct me), this means a different order of magnitude.

Last year (after another thread about this :mrgreen: ) I checked it. Cleanliness or infections wasn't mentioned here. In the era of running water...

I should say, really, I don't understand that high percentage in US, without religious background. Should I do it with my son, because my father did it with me? Without real reason?

I don't live on another continent. I live in different world.
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei
_madeleine
_Emeritus

Post by _madeleine »

Circumcision gets botched sometimes....just saying.

Ludwigm, the practice is so common in the U.S., when our daughter was born the hospital included a $300 charge for circumcision. We looked at that, and said, ummmm.....no.
Being a Christian is not the result of an ethical choice or a lofty idea, but the encounter with an event, a person, which gives life a new horizon and a decisive direction -Pope Benedict XVI
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Post by _ludwigm »

May it be more than 40% ?
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei