NO Mormons are not Christian!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_maklelan
_Emeritus

Re: NO Mormons are not Christian!

Post by _maklelan »

Markk wrote:I think that a stretch...I think he was saying God can change anything.

Of course that's what he's saying. He's being candid about the silliness of being dogmatic about any given standard never changing.

Markk wrote:It will be interesting if they do have a revelation though?

He made it clear it will be a God thing and not a man thing and it will come by revelation. I doubt if Monson will have a revelation anytime soon.

Well, people were saying the same thing in the late seventies.
I like you Betty...

My blog
_The Mighty Builder
_Emeritus

Post by _The Mighty Builder »

Jason15 wrote:Make sure you google "are Mormons Christian"....it's glaringly obvious Mormons believe in an entirely different god that the Biblical God and Jesus. That is why mainstream Christianity calls Mormonism = Anti Christian
google "Are Mormons Christians"
It upsets me that Mormons are calling themselves Christians when they are actually anti Christian according to the Bible.
Historically, only until recently have Mormons wanted to be called Christians, preferring not to be included with Christian denominations which Joseph Smith said were, ". . .all wrong...all their creeds were an abomination in his sight, and that those professors (Christians) were all corrupt." (Pearl of Great Price, Joseph Smith, 2:18-19)
In the past Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the Mormons) have preferred to be called "saints." However, in the recent years the LDS church has spend millions in an intense public relations campaign aimed at moving their church into the mainstream of Christianity. The political and economic benefits of Mormons being included in the mainstream of Christianity are obvious. Further, for Mormons to be accepted as traditional Christians would greatly aid in their proselyting the members of Christian denominations into the LDS church. This is why the LDS church is trying so hard to present themselves as Christians and trying to overcome the stigma of being a cult.

Hopefully, this article will help the both Mormons and non-Mormons to see that Mormonism worships a different god and Jesus Christ and not the God and Jesus Christ of the Bible. The Constitution of the United States gives every citizen the right of freedom of religion and the LDS people have the right to believe as they desire. However, biblical Christians also have the right to defend their historic faith as revealed in the Bible and expose those who misuse their historic name.

You are so correct in your statement. Mormon Man god and Mormon Bastard jesus ARE NOT Biblically based.

1. Mormon Man god is an exalted human who Rapes jewish girls

2. Mormon Bastard jesus is an unperfect man-god resulting from Mormon Man god Raping a jewish girl.
_maklelan
_Emeritus

Post by _maklelan »

The Mighty Builder wrote:You are so correct in your statement. Mormon Man god and Mormon Bastard jesus ARE NOT Biblically based.

Neither is Nicene Jesus.

The Mighty Builder wrote:1. Mormon Man god is an exalted human who Rapes jewish girls

2. Mormon Bastard jesus is an unperfect man-god resulting from Mormon Man god Raping a jewish girl.

Why are you so determined to sound like you're in junior high?
I like you Betty...

My blog
_Bret Ripley
_Emeritus

Post by _Bret Ripley »

grindael wrote:
maklelan wrote:I do not claim that the God of Mormonism is a storm god.

Yes you do. Because the Mormons believe that the Hebrew God is their God - the same God you call a storm god. Logic defeats you, again.
You may want to rethink that, grindael. You mentioned earlier that you were familiar with the research, so you should already know that ideas about YHWH changed over time: storm god to national god to only God (that's a gross oversimplification, but you get the point). That same research reveals how these evolving views are reflected in the biblical texts. To take a snapshot of beliefs about YHWH at one point along the line and then claim that anyone (you, me, maklelan) must regard this as the correct version of YHWH is simply daft.
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

The things I think are difficult for Mormonism with regards to their Christianity standing or otherwise:
a. The insistence that Latter Day Saints are the only true Christians (one true Church).
b. The claim that Jesus Christ told Joseph Smith directly and in person that the other Christian sects around at the time were an abomination.
c. The changing of the wording in the Book of Mormon from it's earliest version portraying a trinitarian theology, to a later language of individual personages.
d. The doctrine of plurality of God's and that we may become God's
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

Bret Ripley wrote:You may want to rethink that, grindael. You mentioned earlier that you were familiar with the research, so you should already know that ideas about YHWH changed over time: storm god to national god to only God (that's a gross oversimplification, but you get the point). That same research reveals how these evolving views are reflected in the biblical texts. To take a snapshot of beliefs about YHWH at one point along the line and then claim that anyone (you, me, maklelan) must regard this as the correct version of YHWH is simply daft.

I'm not claiming that YHWH is a storm god or that this is the "correct version of YHWH". That is what Daniel told me he believes (read his quote to me above). Conflated storm god, whatever. He is still based on a storm god which then evolved.

This is all just speculation though. Evolving speculation to be sure, based on "evidence" that cannot be corroborated by any original Hebrew Biblical texts, because they don't exist. Anyone who believes this evolution, and claims to believe in the Hebrew God who is known to Christians as Jesus, has a dilemma. He claimed to be YHWH.

Another problem faced here, is that many here are claiming that the Bible as we know it is so corrupted that no one can be certain what the original authors wrote. So, how can they even take seriously what is still left to us? It is obvious that they don't.
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_maklelan
_Emeritus

Post by _maklelan »

grindael wrote:I'm not claiming that YHWH is a storm god or that this is the "correct version of YHWH". That is what Daniel told me he believes (read his quote to me above).

Nowhere did I ever tell anyone that is what I believe. What I said is that that's what the biblical authors believed. Hopefully I don't have to tell you there's a significant different between the two.

grindael wrote:Conflated storm god, whatever. He is still based on a storm god which then evolved.

This is all just speculation though. Evolving speculation to be sure, based on "evidence" that cannot be corroborated by any original Hebrew Biblical texts, because they don't exist.

Absolutely false. I can point to dozens of biblical texts that use standard storm god imagery and literary motifs to portray YHWH and his actions. I can point to motifs and titles that were taken directly from other northwest Semitic storm deities.

grindael wrote:Anyone who believes this evolution, and claims to believe in the Hebrew God who is known to Christians as Jesus, has a dilemma. He claimed to be YHWH.

First, Jesus nowhere claimed to be YHWH. He claimed to possess his name, which is something the Angel of YHWH also possessed (as well as other Second Temple Jewish divine figures). Second, this makes your concern a devotional issue, not an academic one. I don't care about the devotional side. I'm pointing out what the biblical authors believed, completely independent of any claims about my own beliefs.

grindael wrote:Another problem faced here, is that many here are claiming that the Bible as we know it is so corrupted that no one can be certain what the original authors wrote. So, how can they even take seriously what is still left to us? It is obvious that they don't.

That all or nothing assumption is one of the hallmarks of fundamentalism.
I like you Betty...

My blog
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

Daniel says that I'm not telling the truth about what he believes. Yet in a conversation I had with him in 2010 he said,

"I also disagree with the notion that it is Mormon ideologies which lead to the conclusions we espouse."

What conclusions does Daniel "espouse" (he included himself in the conclusions he documents in this conversation). He writes,

You've also misunderstood my subsequent comment. It doesn't provide a key for differentiating, it provides a key for understanding their conflation. I don't have proof that they were conflated specifically at the translation of Deut 32:43, but that they were distinct prior to the Hellenistic Period is unquestionable, and my proof is that there is absolutely nothing in any text anywhere prior to the Hellenistic Period that comes close to even suggesting they were the same class of being. On the other hand, every reference to the two makes their distinction perfectly clear.

I have the distinct impression that my comments are going to be misunderstood again. I hope I am wrong.

I didn't misunderstand him. I nicely asked him to further clarify. I said,

What I want to know is HOW you are arriving at your conclusion. For example, I know the theories on how Yahweh and Asherah were conflated, (Hadley): "IT MAY BE that at this time Yahweh was absorbing this symbol into his cult…" She gives examples which are a lot of conjecture, but HOW did angels and sons of god become conflated? What are you basing this on? Your just telling me does not PROVE IT.

Daniel O. McClellanJune 18, 2010 at 6:58 PM
grindael-

You want to know the process that occurred? Ok. The original Syro-Palestinian pantheon consisted of a high god and his consort. In the case of Israel, it was El and Asherah. The state cult explicitly recognized both deities throughout the united and divided monarchies. The second tier was inhabited by the "Sons of El," which, in the literature as it has come down to us, are nameless except for Yhwh. They are described in similar terms as those used in the Ugaritic literature--that is, deities assigned to specific duties vis-a-vis natural phenomena and political entities. Thus Yhwh is a storm god, Rephesh is a deity of pestilence, Mot is a deity of death, etc. The "Sons of El" are also assigned nations as stewardships, as in Deut 32:8-9. The next tier down constitutes the servant deities. They are ontologically deities, but they exist only to serve other higher-tier deities. These were exclusively messenger deities, originally.

Yhwh and El were conflated around the beginning of the united monarchy in an effort to centralize cultic authority under the single state head when the northern and southern kingdoms came together. Cultic centralization in the late pre-exilic period sought to further consolidate cultic authority by delegitimizing temples and cultic sites outside of Jerusalem. This undermined the local worship of Yhwh, which is attested at Kuntillet Ajrud and Khirbet el-Qom (no more "Yhwh of Teman" or "Yhwh of Shomron." This is too close to "Baal of Peor," and "Baal of Gad," "Baal of Hamon," etc. From now on just Yhwh of Jerusalem).

This consolidating strained localized cultic piety, however, which began to manifest itself literarily. By the time Israel returned from the exile the roles filled by the several deities of the original pantheon were reconfigured and expanded for the new pantheon. Cherubim, Seraphim, the Hosts of Heaven, the Holy Ones, the Adversary, and a number of other offices were developed during the exile.

This expansion continued into the Hellenistic Period with the explosion of angelological literature like 1 Enoch and texts from Qumran, but developing sectarian concerns catalyzed a push to reconsolidate these roles. The solution which was developed was to corral them all into one taxonomical category. The most convenient category was the angelic, so authors and religious authorities began to treat these disparate characters as different responsibilities or manifestation of angelic beings. The Greek translation of Deut 32:43 represents the first clear attempt to equate the angels with the Sons of God, but it was quickly and completely assimilated into the Jewish worldview.

Some modern commentators who prioritize a synchronic reading of the Hebrew Bible and don't concern themselves with the scholarship related to the various roles of the early Israelite pantheon accept the tradition that has come down that the two classes are to be identified, which is why you occasionally find it in dictionaries, translations, and more pop biblical literature.

So, Daniel here, absolutely believes this. I asked for Proof, and that is what he gave me. I was not disrespectful at all in this conversation with him. I wrote,

grindael June 18, 2010 at 7:28 PM
Ok. Thanks. Do you personally believe this is how the Hebrew Religion developed? What about the roles of prophets in the Old Testament? What is your take on the ORIGINAL Hebrew Religion?

I like your overview, it gives me reference points for study. What I would really like to know is what your belief is on how the Hebrew Religion evolved pre-Mosaic period.

Is your overview here a consensus of a majority of scholars? What do you think of S. Hermann, Flanders, Crapps & Smith? I also know about Frank Cross, (I read some of his Dead Sea Scrolls Translations in the 70's). Also, what about L. Handy?

Thanks for your time.

Here is Daniel's reply. Now pay attention and see how disingenuous he is being now:

Grindael-

Yes, I do think that's how it developed. That's the conclusion that the evidence supports.

The prophets of the 8th and 7th century were largely social critics who condemned the excesses of the priestly aristocracy and the monarchy. Later prophets were more aligned with the interests of the monarchy and preached against poly-Yahwism and things like that.

The fact that angels were not originally the Sons of God is a consensus, and the general outline is a majority opinion, but some finer points are theories that I am producing. For instance, at this year's SBL I will present a paper entitled "What is Deity in LXX Deuteronomy?" where I will discuss the reasons for the conflation of the Sons of God and the angels.

Those scholars are largely outdated. Cross was widely influential (far more so than the others), but his era ended long ago. Lowell Handy has some interesting ideas, but I disagree with many of his assumptions. For instance, he simply asserts that the root Q-N-H does not mean "create." Many scholars disagree with this, but it is an assumption that is still occasionally made. The other paper I am presenting at this year's SBL directly confronts his assertion as part of a larger discussion of Gen 14:19, 22.

Source: http://mormonhomeevening.blogspot.com/2 ... i-lee.html

So, was Daniel lying to me then, or now?
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

maklelan wrote:
grindael wrote:I'm not claiming that YHWH is a storm god or that this is the "correct version of YHWH". That is what Daniel told me he believes (read his quote to me above).

Nowhere did I ever tell anyone that is what I believe. What I said is that that's what the biblical authors believed. Hopefully I don't have to tell you there's a significant different between the two.

grindael wrote:Conflated storm god, whatever. He is still based on a storm god which then evolved.

This is all just speculation though. Evolving speculation to be sure, based on "evidence" that cannot be corroborated by any original Hebrew Biblical texts, because they don't exist.

Absolutely false. I can point to dozens of biblical texts that use standard storm god imagery and literary motifs to portray YHWH and his actions. I can point to motifs and titles that were taken directly from other northwest Semitic storm deities.

grindael wrote:Anyone who believes this evolution, and claims to believe in the Hebrew God who is known to Christians as Jesus, has a dilemma. He claimed to be YHWH.

First, Jesus nowhere claimed to be YHWH. He claimed to possess his name, which is something the Angel of YHWH also possessed (as well as other Second Temple Jewish divine figures). Second, this makes your concern a devotional issue, not an academic one. I don't care about the devotional side. I'm pointing out what the biblical authors believed, completely independent of any claims about my own beliefs.

grindael wrote:Another problem faced here, is that many here are claiming that the Bible as we know it is so corrupted that no one can be certain what the original authors wrote. So, how can they even take seriously what is still left to us? It is obvious that they don't.

That all or nothing assumption is one of the hallmarks of fundamentalism.

You need to take honesty lessons. You are a liar.
_Bret Ripley
_Emeritus

Post by _Bret Ripley »

grindael wrote:So, was Daniel lying to me then, or now?
I am sorry, grindael, but I don't see the dilemma. You asked him about his beliefs regarding religious development, and he gave you a response that is consistent with scholarly consensus. In what way do you feel you've been lied to? Please be concise, if possible.