Same-sex Marriage.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_wenglund
_Emeritus

Same-sex Marriage.

Post by _wenglund »

I only had a moment this morning before heading out of town for a couple of days, and I thought that since the issue of same-sex marriage was raised tangentially on another thread, I would start a new thread on the topic.

As fodder for the discussion, may I offer a series of brief articles I have written on the unintended negative consequences of SSM, starting here: "Leftist LUNCs (Law of Unintended Negative Consequences)--Same Sex Marriage: Intro."

Feel free to respond in my absence. I will engage in the discussion when I return.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-
"Why should I care about being consistent?" --Mister Scratch (MD, '08)
_gramps
_Emeritus

Re: Same-sex Marriage.

Post by _gramps »

Oh boy! Wade, have a great weekend. ;)
I detest my loose style and my libertine sentiments. I thank God, who has removed from my eyes the veil...
Adrian Beverland
_just me
_Emeritus

Post by _just me »

"Leftist"

I swear I had never heard this term until coming to this message board.
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

just me wrote:"Leftist"

That's 'cause you're a leftist, my dear.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_just me
_Emeritus

Post by _just me »

Runtu wrote:

Oh yeah!

But, to be fair, I am surrounded by non-leftists in real life. None of them use the term.
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

just me wrote:Oh yeah!

But, to be fair, I am surrounded by non-leftists in real life. None of them use the term.

I think it was a popular term in the 1960s to refer to hippies and Civil Rights protesters. Kind of dates people who use it, in my opinion.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_Morley
_Emeritus

Post by _Morley »

In his article, Wade Englund wrote:
Here are some of the same-sex marriage Leftist LUNCs:

Too Few -Just a measly 6% of homosexuals have entered into legalize relationships where possible. Was it all worth it?

Spike in Social Ills - Liberal efforts to decrease health and mortality risks among homosexuals, has resulted in the opposite.

Degraded Traditional Marriage -"By legalizing same-sex marriage and altering other marital and moral terms, the fundamental institution of society has subsequently lost some of its appeal and virtue and moral impetus."

Marriage in Crisis -"Good and decent liberals have naïvely supposed that their support for same-sex marriage would ultimately strengthen the fundamental structure of society, but in reality they have unwittingly accented to the destruction of the traditional family--and for the life of them, they can't see it."

Ripple Effect -"With the decline of marriage and family and social morays brought on somewhat by legalizing same-sex marriage...there are other Leftist LUNCs rippling therefrom."

Costly Gov Expansion -Legalizing same-sex marriage by liberals could cost trillions of dollars during the nations financial crisis and spiraling national debt..

No "Marriage Equality" -Legalizing same-sex marriage didn't, and won't, and can't produce "marriage equality" as claimed. This liberal concept is illusionary and a ruse.

Loss of Freedom -Gay marriage was intended to extend freedom, but will take away some freedoms for opponents and proponents alike.

Opened Floodgates -Moral and legal groundwork has now been laid for liberal legitimization of other alternative, socially unpopular and repelling marriages, lifestyles, and behaviors.

Destructive Compassion -The destructive power of liberalism is manifest in the promotion of homosexuality and gay marriage. People are literally being killed by liberal kindness.

Blurs Critical Male/Female Distinction -Through liberal promotion of gay marriage and other cultural causes, the value of women and mothers has been diminished.

House Divided When it comes to homosexual issues, iberals are now at each others throats.

My goodness.
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Post by _ludwigm »

Runtu wrote:

The languages are living organisms. They evolve.
In Hungarian, the word "ballib" didn't exist twenty years before.
bal = left
lib = first letters of "liberal"

Today, google gives 1,700,000 results in 0.12 seconds - on Hungarian sites only.

We have our droopies and bcspaces...
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

Morley wrote:
In his article, Wade Englund wrote:
Here are some of the same-sex marriage Leftist LUNCs:

Too Few -Just a measly 6% of homosexuals have entered into legalize relationships where possible. Was it all worth it?

Spike in Social Ills - Liberal efforts to decrease health and mortality risks among homosexuals, has resulted in the opposite.

Degraded Traditional Marriage -"By legalizing same-sex marriage and altering other marital and moral terms, the fundamental institution of society has subsequently lost some of its appeal and virtue and moral impetus."

Marriage in Crisis -"Good and decent liberals have naïvely supposed that their support for same-sex marriage would ultimately strengthen the fundamental structure of society, but in reality they have unwittingly accented to the destruction of the traditional family--and for the life of them, they can't see it."

Ripple Effect -"With the decline of marriage and family and social morays brought on somewhat by legalizing same-sex marriage...there are other Leftist LUNCs rippling therefrom."

Costly Gov Expansion -Legalizing same-sex marriage by liberals could cost trillions of dollars during the nations financial crisis and spiraling national debt..

No "Marriage Equality" -Legalizing same-sex marriage didn't, and won't, and can't produce "marriage equality" as claimed. This liberal concept is illusionary and a ruse.

Loss of Freedom -Gay marriage was intended to extend freedom, but will take away some freedoms for opponents and proponents alike.

Opened Floodgates -Moral and legal groundwork has now been laid for liberal legitimization of other alternative, socially unpopular and repelling marriages, lifestyles, and behaviors.

Destructive Compassion -The destructive power of liberalism is manifest in the promotion of homosexuality and gay marriage. People are literally being killed by liberal kindness.

Blurs Critical Male/Female Distinction -Through liberal promotion of gay marriage and other cultural causes, the value of women and mothers has been diminished.

House Divided When it comes to homosexual issues, iberals are now at each others throats.

My goodness.

Replace same sex/homosexual with polygamist and then re-read for irony.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_Jaybear
_Emeritus

Post by _Jaybear »

WADE starts his blog by saying:

[Leftists] have allegedly done so for the purpose of extending government benefits and to encourage stable, longterm committed relationships among homosexual couples, with the intent of diminishing the incidence of sexually transmitted diseases and other domestic problems associated with promiscuous sexual behavior--just as with legal marriage for heterosexuals.

Wade is wrong.

As a leftest (like Jesus), I can assure you that I support gay marriage for purposes of promoting the principle of equality ... hence the phrase "marriage equality". My position would not change even if you could actually show that legalizing gay marriage means .... gasp ... more gay promiscuity.

The only people who think that the government should play a role in passing laws for the purpose of hindering/preventing/dissuading adults from having sex are social conservatives. So the argument that you think you are addressing is an argument that is made to garner gay marriage support by conservatives.