Most Intelligent Living Convert to Mormonism?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Re: Most Intelligent Living Convert to Mormonism?

Post by _Runtu »

gramps wrote:This guy:

I mean, he is a nuclear engineer, right?

He's not a convert, though.

I have to say he kind of gives me the creeps with his weird staring into the camera.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_Equality
_Emeritus

Post by _Equality »

I was gonna say Don Bradley, too. But I think I will have to go with Gladys Knight.
"The Church is authoritarian, tribal, provincial, and founded on a loosely biblical racist frontier sex cult."--Juggler Vain
"The lds church is the Amway of religions. Even with all the soap they sell, they still manage to come away smelling dirty."--Some Schmo
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Equality wrote:I was gonna say Don Bradley, too. But I think I will have to go with Gladys Knight.

I agree with Bob Loblaw: you're the most intelligent person I know who converted to Mormonism as an adult.

But yeah, Don is a smart man, and a great guy.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_gramps
_Emeritus

Post by _gramps »

Runtu wrote:
gramps wrote:This guy:

I mean, he is a nuclear engineer, right?

He's not a convert, though.

I have to say he kind of gives me the creeps with his weird staring into the camera.

Really? I thought he was. Or did he just come from an inactive family?
I detest my loose style and my libertine sentiments. I thank God, who has removed from my eyes the veil...
Adrian Beverland
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

Hey Equality! :smile:

Equality wrote:I was gonna say Don Bradley, too. But I think I will have to go with Gladys Knight.

What about the Pips?

I heard they took the Midnight Train to Utah on the night they converted.

Peace,
Ceeboo
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

sunstoned wrote:I have brought up a good question. I know that the conversions I saw on my mission were mostly marginal people. Folks living day to day, with not much education. I don't recall seeing any professional type folks joining the church. Our mission president told us this was because the rich and successful usually do not have the humility to accept the gospel. Ya, right.

Right! Rich and successful people don't give a rat's about what happens after they die. If you're rich, you've got too much money to think about such triflings. If you're successful, no time to think about it.

But, for everyone else, the 'this life ain't fair' attitude, and hoping instead for an eternal reward on judgment day to balance the scales of justice is appealing.

Implied in what your MP said, Mormonism appeals to those that feel victimized in life.
_Bob Loblaw
_Emeritus

Post by _Bob Loblaw »

gramps wrote:Really? I thought he was. Or did he just come from an inactive family?

His father was a nevermo, and his mother was a "less-active" Mormon. He attended church off and on growing up, and then when his girlfriend told him she wouldn't marry someone who wasn't a returned missionary, he went on a mission.
"It doesn't seem fair, does it Norm--that I should have so much knowledge when there are people in the world that have to go to bed stupid every night." -- Clifford C. Clavin, USPS

"¡No contaban con mi astucia!" -- El Chapulin Colorado
_gramps
_Emeritus

Post by _gramps »

Bob Loblaw wrote:
gramps wrote:Really? I thought he was. Or did he just come from an inactive family?

His father was a nevermo, and his mother was a "less-active" Mormon. He attended church off and on growing up, and then when his girlfriend told him she wouldn't marry someone who wasn't a returned missionary, he went on a mission.

Ah, so he was baptized when he was a kid? His girlfriend was from royalty, no?
I detest my loose style and my libertine sentiments. I thank God, who has removed from my eyes the veil...
Adrian Beverland
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Don was first baptized as a child, so that shouldn't count. I think DCP is closer to qualifying than Don.

I will go with Arthur Henry King.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Bob Loblaw
_Emeritus

Post by _Bob Loblaw »

gramps wrote:Ah, so he was baptized when he was a kid? His girlfriend was from royalty, no?

His father was an assistant secretary of agriculture for ETB, who ended up converting Scott's father. His girlfriend, later wife, was the daughter of Senator Arthur Watkins of Utah.
"It doesn't seem fair, does it Norm--that I should have so much knowledge when there are people in the world that have to go to bed stupid every night." -- Clifford C. Clavin, USPS

"¡No contaban con mi astucia!" -- El Chapulin Colorado