The still small voice

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Bob Loblaw
_Emeritus

The still small voice

Post by _Bob Loblaw »

I came across this interesting account from a young soldier during World War I:

"I was eating my dinner in a trench with several comrades. Suddenly a voice seemed to be saying to me, 'Get up and go over there.' It was so clear and insistent that I obeyed automatically, as if it had been a military order. I rose at once to my feet and walked twenty yards along the trench carrying my dinner in its tin can with me. Then I sat down to go on eating, my mind being once more at rest. Hardly had I done so when a flash and deafening report came from the part of the trench I had just left. A stray shell had burst over the group in which I had been sitting, and every member of it was killed."

Religious folk might find this an example of Divine Providence, of inspiration given to the faithful to protect them. But then you realize that the inspired corporal was Adolf Hitler.
"It doesn't seem fair, does it Norm--that I should have so much knowledge when there are people in the world that have to go to bed stupid every night." -- Clifford C. Clavin, USPS

"¡No contaban con mi astucia!" -- El Chapulin Colorado
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Re: The still small voice

Post by _Runtu »

I've had these kinds of experiences, and I have to say that for a long time I figured they were obvious proof of the existence of deity in my mind. How else to explain things that I "heard" or "felt" that were so clear in instruction and consequence? But the more I have read and learned, the more I understand these experiences are common to the religious, the non-religious, and the future dictators alike.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_The Mighty Builder
_Emeritus

Post by _The Mighty Builder »

And again, why didn't the future "Most Evil person ever Born", warn his companions?
_son of Ishmael
_Emeritus

Post by _son of Ishmael »

Bob Loblaw wrote:I came across this interesting account from a young soldier during World War I:

"I was eating my dinner in a trench with several comrades. Suddenly a voice seemed to be saying to me, 'Get up and go over there.' It was so clear and insistent that I obeyed automatically, as if it had been a military order. I rose at once to my feet and walked twenty yards along the trench carrying my dinner in its tin can with me. Then I sat down to go on eating, my mind being once more at rest. Hardly had I done so when a flash and deafening report came from the part of the trench I had just left. A stray shell had burst over the group in which I had been sitting, and every member of it was killed."

Religious folk might find this an example of Divine Providence, of inspiration given to the faithful to protect them. But then you realize that the inspired corporal was Adolf Hitler.

Cleary THAT voice was of the devil.
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. - Galileo

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just god when he's drunk - Tom Waits
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

Hey Bob! :smile:

Bob Loblaw wrote:I came across this interesting account from a young soldier during World War I:

This is clearly a misunderstanding on Adolf's part!

The voice did not say "get up and go over there."
The voice said "shut up and lay your face right here."

Perhaps?

Peace,
Ceeboo
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

A great faith promoting story (for potential Nazis). Do you know what the context of this story was? Something Adolf said later in life? Something like "God rescued me for the important work of saving the fatherland".

A quote from the Fuehrer “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.”
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_zeezrom
_Emeritus

Post by _zeezrom »

This was likely a story told at boy scout camps all across Germany.

http://histclo.com/youth/youth/image/im ... gGer01.jpg
Oh for shame, how the mortals put the blame on us gods, for they say evils come from us, but it is they, rather, who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given... Zeus (1178 BC)

The Holy Sacrament.
_Uncle Ed
_Emeritus

Post by _Uncle Ed »

The source of the anecdote doesn't matter. Hitler's destiny is just as important to the "God" he Is as yours or mine or anyone else's. If Hitler's destiny required believing he was in a "state of grace" while he burned down whole swathes of the world, that was what had to happen. Getting killed prematurely would not suffice, he had to survive to play out his path to the end. Millions had to die to prove something about Adolf Hitler TOO Adolf Hitler.

The "saving grace" about all of it is: the multiverse is literally infinite. There are worlds where no 2WW occurred. And every variation in between. "God" Is much too Infinite to be limited to a single outcome. So learning goes on forever, even for "Hitler"....
A man should never step a foot into the field,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need arms,
Or what menace meet on the road. - Hávamál 38

Man's joy is in Man. - Hávamál 47
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

Uncle Ed wrote:The source of the anecdote doesn't matter. Hitler's destiny is just as important to the "God" he Is as yours or mine or anyone else's. If Hitler's destiny required believing he was in a "state of grace" while he burned down whole swathes of the world, that was what had to happen. Getting killed prematurely would not suffice, he had to survive to play out his path to the end. Millions had to die to prove something about Adolf Hitler TOO Adolf Hitler.

The "saving grace" about all of it is: the multiverse is literally infinite. There are worlds where no 2WW occurred. And every variation in between. "God" Is much too Infinite to be limited to a single outcome. So learning goes on forever, even for "Hitler"....

You seem like a nice enough guy, Uncle Ed, but you also seem to be a confused guy.

Are you saying that the extermination of millions of people in concentration camps was part of God's plan in order to prove a point?

You may want to rethink this.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

Quasimodo wrote:
Uncle Ed wrote:The source of the anecdote doesn't matter. Hitler's destiny is just as important to the "God" he Is as yours or mine or anyone else's. If Hitler's destiny required believing he was in a "state of grace" while he burned down whole swathes of the world, that was what had to happen. Getting killed prematurely would not suffice, he had to survive to play out his path to the end. Millions had to die to prove something about Adolf Hitler TOO Adolf Hitler.

You seem like a nice enough guy, Uncle Ed, but you also seem to be a confused guy.

Are you saying that the extermination of millions of people in concentration camps was part of God's plan in order to prove a point?

You may want to rethink this.

Rethink it a minimum, in my opinion.

Perhaps deleting it would be a better option.

Peace,
Ceeboo