Tommy Monson is going cray-cray

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_beanboots
_Emeritus

Tommy Monson is going cray-cray

Post by _beanboots »

This idiot can't even handle a ten minute talk during Christmas time.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8655 ... ition.html

Can't wait for hinckley's second coming.
I make an end of my writing upon these plates, which writing has been small; and to the reader I bid farewell, hoping that many of my brethren may read my words. Brethren, adieu.

“I believe if I had a house in hell and one in St. George I'd rent out the one in St. George and live in hell.”
-J. Golden Kimball
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Re: Tommy Monson is going cray-cray

Post by _Bazooka »

This is like the Queen delegating her tradition Christmas speech to one of the lesser Royals, like the Pope having one of the Cardinals do his Christmas comments.

Is it a lack of trust?
Perhaps they fear Uchtdorf will let more cats out of the bag?

I don't think this decision adds credibility to the devotional - Christ's Prophet on earth has decided he won't be participating in the devotional dedicated to Christ this year, what?
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

beanboots,

The tread title here is inappropriate. Regardless of whether Pres. Monson is the designated leader of a long established religious scam, or not, his functional deficits are a result of the aging process. He may well be entering senility, but his recent behavior in public, or him being taking him off of the Christmas Devotional Program are not evidence that he is mentally ill, or cray-cray.

If we live long enough, you and I will both go through this phase in the aging process. Perhaps Monson should give up the Presidency to someone more capable and be put on emeritus status, but he certainly does not belong in an institution for the insane, nor does he deserve to be called crazy.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

DrW wrote:beanboots,

The tread title here is inappropriate. Regardless of whether Pres. Monson is the designated leader of a long established religious scam, or not, his functional deficits are a result of the aging process. He may well be entering senility, but his recent behavior in public, or him being taking him off of the Christmas Devotional Program are not evidence that he is mentally ill, or cray-cray.

If we live long enough, you and I will both go through this phase in the aging process. Perhaps Monson should give up the Presidency to someone more capable and be put on emeritus status, but he certainly does not belong in an institution for the insane, nor does he deserve to be call crazy.

I agree with your sentiments Doc and I agree that we have no idea what is behind this decision - it may be nothing to do with health issues at all.
But there's an interesting consideration as to why God wouldn't sustain His Prophet physically so that he was able to do his day job, that of speaking to the world on behalf of Him.

Mocking ill health is never a clever thing to do - I'm not blameless from that so I'm not one to be able to take the moral high ground here.
But I would support the request to alter the thread title and OP tone.
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_LDSToronto
_Emeritus

Post by _LDSToronto »

If we live long enough, you and I will both go through this phase in the aging process. Perhaps Monson should give up the Presidency to someone more capable and be put on emeritus status, but he certainly does not belong in an institution for the insane, nor does he deserve to be call crazy.

It's rich when those who heavily criticize the church and it's leader (you know, the same people that believe "that all this was brought into existence in six days by an imaginary magical Sky Daddy?") try to invoke humanity by chastising someone for calling the prophet cray-cray.

Own your damned ridicule. All of it.

H.
"Others cannot endure their own littleness unless they can translate it into meaningfulness on the largest possible level."
~ Ernest Becker
"Whether you think of it as heavenly or as earthly, if you love life immortality is no consolation for death."
~ Simone de Beauvoir
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

LDSToronto wrote:

It's rich when those who heavily criticize the church and it's leader (you know, the same people that believe "that all this was brought into existence in six days by an imaginary magical Sky Daddy?") try to invoke humanity by chastising someone for calling the prophet cray-cray.

Own your f*****g ridicule. All of it.

H.

One can certainly criticize the unfounded beliefs of others without being obliged to support ridicule of them because they are suffering the natural consequences of aging.

Would you not agree?
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Post by _Sethbag »

I think there's a difference between ridiculing Sky Daddy and Thomas Monson.

Thomas Monson actually exists. And I think a person, or being of some sort, ought to "deserve" the ridicule. Monson doesn't deserve ridicule for suffering from age. One can't rightfully say that Sky Daddy doesn't deserve ridicule for non-existence, for obvious reasons.

Joseph Smith, on the other hand, deserves at least as much as he usually gets on this forum, and quite likely a whole lot more.
Mormonism ceased being a compelling topic for me when I finally came to terms with its transformation from a personality cult into a combination of a real estate company, a SuperPac, and Westboro Baptist Church. - Kishkumen
_Uncle Ed
_Emeritus

Post by _Uncle Ed »

I've watched conferences come and go for decades. And this last one impressed me almost as much as the last one that N. Eldon Tanner was in, where half of his face was immobile from recent stroke. Monson did not have a stroke, but the devastation to his physiognomy from the bereavement he is suffering was clear to me. I have never seen such a distinctly fallen countenance on the face of a GA before. He is SAD beyond expression. I think he's going down....
A man should never step a foot into the field,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need arms,
Or what menace meet on the road. - Hávamál 38

Man's joy is in Man. - Hávamál 47
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

LDSToronto wrote:It's rich when those who heavily criticize the church and it's leader (you know, the same people that believe "that all this was brought into existence in six days by an imaginary magical Sky Daddy?") try to invoke humanity by chastising someone for calling the prophet cray-cray.

Own your f*****g ridicule. All of it.

H.

If your criticism is going to have any merit, it should target and focus on what deserves criticism.

It's one thing to call someone crazy for believing crazy crap. It's another to say they are actually going crazy if they aren't (despite believing crazy crap). Probably best not to equivocate the two.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_cinepro
_Emeritus

Post by _cinepro »

beanboots wrote:This idiot can't even handle a ten minute talk during Christmas time.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8655 ... ition.html

Can't wait for hinckley's second coming.