Deseret News: Missionary lesson changes announced

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_beanboots
_Emeritus

Deseret News: Missionary lesson changes announced

Post by _beanboots »

1. Missionaries will teach “Lesson 5: Laws and Ordinances” in Chapter 3 of Preach My Gospel both before and after baptism.

2. Mission presidents will actively teach and re-teach the Lord’s standard for baptism, as recorded in Doctrine and Covenants, section 20, verse 37. "Two phrases are particularly important in preparing the investigator for the covenant of baptism: "having a determination to serve him to the end, and truly manifest by their works that they have received of the Spirit of Christ unto the remission of their sins..."

3. "When possible, missionaries will work closely with each new member for at least three to four months after baptism and continue to keep close to them for at least a year and hopefully for many years and even generations. …"

4. “Missionaries will take the lead in re-teaching all five of the lessons in Preach My Gospel after baptism.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865605731/Adjustments-made-for-more-effective-team-work-between-missionaries-and-local-leaders.html?pg=all
I make an end of my writing upon these plates, which writing has been small; and to the reader I bid farewell, hoping that many of my brethren may read my words. Brethren, adieu.

“I believe if I had a house in hell and one in St. George I'd rent out the one in St. George and live in hell.”
-J. Golden Kimball
_No_Hidden_Agenda
_Emeritus

Re: Deseret News: Missionary lesson changes announced

Post by _No_Hidden_Agenda »

beanboots wrote:
1. Missionaries will teach “Lesson 5: Laws and Ordinances” in Chapter 3 of Preach My Gospel both before and after baptism.

2. Mission presidents will actively teach and re-teach the Lord’s standard for baptism, as recorded in Doctrine and Covenants, section 20, verse 37. "Two phrases are particularly important in preparing the investigator for the covenant of baptism: "having a determination to serve him to the end, and truly manifest by their works that they have received of the Spirit of Christ unto the remission of their sins..."

3. "When possible, missionaries will work closely with each new member for at least three to four months after baptism and continue to keep close to them for at least a year and hopefully for many years and even generations. …"

4. “Missionaries will take the lead in re-teaching all five of the lessons in Preach My Gospel after baptism.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865605731/Adjustments-made-for-more-effective-team-work-between-missionaries-and-local-leaders.html?pg=all

In other words, retention of new converts sucks and the Morg want to inoculate the new converts longer, hoping they will have less damaging exposure to the internet before sinking enough costs into membership to feel it worth leaving.
_The Mighty Builder
_Emeritus

Post by _The Mighty Builder »

beanboots wrote:

There goes Mormon Missionary baptism programs.

Good luck in implementing this type of extended relationship in a boiler room sells program.
_Arrakis
_Emeritus

Post by _Arrakis »

beanboots wrote:

Yeah, that'll work.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Are there also steps being taken to more effectively integrate new members into the ward/branches. Wouldn't that be more effective than trying to prolong the missionary-investigator relationship? Or is this more about giving all these missionaries something to do other than plant flags?
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

Arrakis wrote:
beanboots wrote:"When possible, missionaries will work closely with each new member for at least three to four months after baptism and continue to keep close to them for at least a year and hopefully for many years and even generations. …"

Yeah, that'll work.

Bad sales tactics (which is a good thing).
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Post by _DarkHelmet »

Brad Hudson wrote:Are there also steps being taken to more effectively integrate new members into the ward/branches. Wouldn't that be more effective than trying to prolong the missionary-investigator relationship? Or is this more about giving all these missionaries something to do other than plant flags?

That's been the strategy for as long as I can remember. After baptism the missionaries turn them over to the ward, and the ward is supposed to give them a calling, fellowship them, and keep them active. Apparently the members have failed in their duties. It's hard to pretend to be someone's friend without them seeing through it.
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775
_Rollo Tomasi
_Emeritus

Post by _Rollo Tomasi »

A few years the Church made a "big" change by transferring much of a convert's post-baptism work (i.e., tailored discussions, fellowship, etc.) to the bishop and ward mission; obviously that isn't working, so the Brethren are basically taking those responsibilities and giving them back to full-time missionaries. It might also be that current full-time missionaries have little to do, day in and day out, so this is a way to come up with some 'busy work' that doesn't suck as much as tracting did.
"Moving beyond apologist persuasion, LDS polemicists furiously (and often fraudulently) attack any non-traditional view of Mormonism. They don't mince words -- they mince the truth."

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)
_beanboots
_Emeritus

Post by _beanboots »

DarkHelmet wrote:
Brad Hudson wrote:Are there also steps being taken to more effectively integrate new members into the ward/branches. Wouldn't that be more effective than trying to prolong the missionary-investigator relationship? Or is this more about giving all these missionaries something to do other than plant flags?

That's been the strategy for as long as I can remember. After baptism the missionaries turn them over to the ward, and the ward is supposed to give them a calling, fellowship them, and keep them active. Apparently the members have failed in their duties. It's hard to pretend to be someone's friend without them seeing through it.

what i loved was when the majority of us ivy leaguers would isolate into our own cliques and not associate with the new converts or community college/state college students outside of church and ward-sponsored activities.

that was horrible and i was chastised by a grand nephew of henry b. eyring for wanting to end the BS. that's why i hated singles wards and university wards. “F” that.
I make an end of my writing upon these plates, which writing has been small; and to the reader I bid farewell, hoping that many of my brethren may read my words. Brethren, adieu.

“I believe if I had a house in hell and one in St. George I'd rent out the one in St. George and live in hell.”
-J. Golden Kimball
_suniluni2
_Emeritus

Post by _suniluni2 »

Rollo Tomasi wrote:A few years the Church made a "big" change by transferring much of a convert's post-baptism work (i.e., tailored discussions, fellowship, etc.) to the bishop and ward mission; obviously that isn't working, so the Brethren are basically taking those responsibilities and giving them back to full-time missionaries. It might also be that current full-time missionaries have little to do, day in and day out, so this is a way to come up with some 'busy work' that doesn't suck as much as tracting did.

nail hit on head.