LDS missionary numbers to peak at 88,000

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Sammy Jankins
_Emeritus

LDS missionary numbers to peak at 88,000

Post by _Sammy Jankins »

LDS missionary numbers to peak at 88,000; more to use and pay for digital devices

The church expects the number of missionaries will eventually settle somewhere in the high 70,000s, well above the 58,000 serving at the time of President Monson's announcement.

The church will ask missionaries from areas Elder Evans said are "self-supporting in terms of missionary service" to pay for their own iPad Minis, similar to the way the church has asked missionaries to pay for bicycles to use in the mission field.
Those from areas that aren't self-supporting will work with their local church leaders and mission presidents on funding.
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Re: LDS missionary numbers to peak at 88,000

Post by _bcspace »

And convert baptisms are up, let me guess, 15%?
Machina Sublime
Satan's Plan Deconstructed.
Your Best Resource On Joseph Smith's Polygamy.
Conservatism is the Gospel of Christ and the Plan of Salvation in Action.
The Degeneracy Of Progressivism.
_Mayan Elephant
_Emeritus

Post by _Mayan Elephant »

bcspace wrote:And convert baptisms are up, let me guess, 15%?

that is impressive. that church must be the fastest growing church in the whole goddamned world.
"Rocks don't speak for themselves" is an unfortunate phrase to use in defense of a book produced by a rock actually 'speaking' for itself... (I have a Question, 5.15.15)
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Hopefully armed with those mini-ipads, those beeming young missionaries will bring a barage of Gospel messages to this board. Usually, the most we get are some apologetics mixed with politics, except for the avenging Christians.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_sunstoned
_Emeritus

Post by _sunstoned »

iPad over the Android OS? This is just another glaring example of the dearth of inspiration that sadly has become the new normal for the leadership of the church.
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

The church will ask missionaries in those areas to pay for their iPads, which will be their property during and after their missions, at a cost of $400 apiece.

So the cost of serving a mission just went up by $400. Presumably if they get pinched then it's at the missionaries own risk. I suspect this is about the Church saving $28,000,000 and the cost of insuring or replacing lost/stolen iPads. Penny pinching by the Church that spent $billions on a shopping mall.

If the iPad is the property of the missionary, the Church cannot control the content on the iPad. Oh dear.
This also changes the game in terms of keeping in touch with the folks back home.

Ah, but wait....
Starting later this year, missionaries will be asked to buy specially configured iPad minis for studying and teaching, which they’ll be able to keep after their missions.

http://fox13now.com/2014/07/02/changes- ... l-devices/
So, this IS just a penny pinching ploy by the Church.
What if the missionary says 'No'?
I will wager a small amount that missionaries are required to buy these iPads from an approved source and that someone other than Apple Inc. will be making money from it.

Evans said the church, as of Wednesday, had 85,593 missionaries serving, up from the previously publicized record of 85,039 in April.

He said the missionary department anticipates the number to rise to 88,000 this fall before starting to decrease.

LDS Church President Thomas S. Monson precipitated the dramatic two-year surge in missionary numbers when in October 2012 he lowered the age requirement from 19 to 18 years old for male missionaries and from 21 to 19 for women.

Elder Evans, who called the surge "one of the greatest faith-inspiring things I've ever seen," said the church expects the number of missionaries will eventually settle somewhere in the high 70,000s, well above the 58,000 serving at the time of President Monson's announcement.

"We don't believe we're ever going back to the 50,000s," Elder Evans said.

Remember this statement.

About 64 percent of the church's full-time missionaries are young adult men, 28 percent are women and 8 percent are senior missionaries.

"We believe the young people of this church will continue to say yes to missionary service, and they'll continue to choose to become young disciples of Christ," Elder Evans said. "For them it's an absolute free-will offering to the Lord and to their fellow man."

And for the Church it's a virtually no-cost way of securing more tithe payers either through conversion of nonmembers or by the conditioning of the individual sales people...err...missionaries.

He also spoke about convert baptisms and missionary safety.

"Every month, if you compare month over month, the baptisms are up," Elder Evans said. "Right now for this year, there's about an overall 15 percent increase in the number of convert baptisms this year compared to a comparable period last year."

I'm not sure what this numeric means in isolation.
If activity is up 15% then that's a good story. But even then, what would that really tell us?

Elder Evans said missionaries now are being asked to have a "safety moment" at the beginning of each day, an effort to increase their sensitivity to safety issues after several injuries and deaths among missionaries made news, particularly last year.

Those incidents remain few compared to the general U.S. population of 18- to 21-year-olds.

"It is by far the safest place for any young single adult to be that I'm aware of," Elder Evans said. "I've read statistics that suggest being on a mission may be as many as 20 times safer than being generally out in the population."

Unfortunately Elder Evans neglects to mention what statistics he's referring to.....
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_Sammy Jankins
_Emeritus

Post by _Sammy Jankins »

From the Newsroom

“If you started August of last year and go through our last report, month over month the baptisms are up,” he added. “Right now for this year there's about an overall 15 percent increase in the number of convert baptisms this year compared to a comparable period last year. And we are gratified by that, but again, recognize that that's not the main purpose for what is happening. The greater purpose is to offer the opportunity of missionary service to those who would like to perform this service, meaning the young people of this Church.”

Instead of calling it "hastening the work" they should have called it "reducing the window in which young people could make independent decisions."
_Sammy Jankins
_Emeritus

Post by _Sammy Jankins »

And it only took about a 45% increase in missionaries to do it!

We greatly increased our sales force and saw an increase in sales. Shocker.
_CameronMO
_Emeritus

Post by _CameronMO »

Slightly off-topic, and I apologize in advance, but my in-laws have to pay for furniture in their apartment. They are serving a senior mission, and on top of the rent, they pay $100 extra for it to be furnished. That's $1800 over their mission. And the furniture is all donated, or left by prior senior couples. I was stunned when they told me.
Trimble, you ignorant sack of rhinoceros puss. The only thing more obvious than your lack of education is the foul stench that surrounds you.
_Rollo Tomasi
_Emeritus

Post by _Rollo Tomasi »

If this figure (15% increase) were to hold through 2014, it would result (based on the same number of full-time missionaries for 2013) in 325,387 convert baptisms. This would not even be the greatest number of convert baptisms ever recorded for one year -- 1990 has that distinction, 330,877, with just 43,651 full-time missionaries (less than half of what Elder Evans predicts will be the "peak" number of full-time missionaries for this year).

A 15% increase would be heartening, of course, because the convert baptism numbers could not have been much worse than in 2013, when each full-time missionary had an average of 3.4 convert baptisms for that year, a figure nearly 20% LESS than the next worst year for convert baptisms per missionary (4.3 in 2003) since these statistics were first disclosed by the Church (in 1977).

Frankly, I don't think the 15% will hold and the Church will be lucky to have enough convert baptisms to break the 300K level (which last happened in 1999!). The Internet is interfering too much with potential converts, something the full-time missionaries in the years of 300K-plus convert baptisms didn't have to contend with (e.g., from 1989 through 1999, 300K-plus in convert baptisms was reached in 8 of those 11 years -- we haven't seen ONE such year since).

Here is one statistic I'd like to hear announced at April's GC -- the number of members who have officially resigned/had name removed from the Church during the previous year. I've heard rumors this number is approaching the number of convert baptisms (I don't think it's that high, but I'm sure the number has been escalating in recent years). I don't know if these numbers are at all used in the membership numbers announced by the Church.
"Moving beyond apologist persuasion, LDS polemicists furiously (and often fraudulently) attack any non-traditional view of Mormonism. They don't mince words -- they mince the truth."

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)