Jane Birch making money out of the Word of Wisdom

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Jane Birch making money out of the Word of Wisdom

Post by _Bazooka »

http://discoveringthewordofwisdom.com

About the Book – Discovering the Word of Wisdom

Do you want to avoid illness, maintain your ideal weight and reach your highest potential, both physically and spiritually? You might be surprised to find the answers in the Mormon Word of Wisdom. But if you think you already know what this divine revelation says, think again. You’ll be amazed to discover the “hidden treasures” brought to light through what has now been proven to be the healthiest human diet, a way of eating supported both by history and by science: a whole food, plant-based (WFPB) diet.

WFPB vegetarian diets have been scientifically proven to both prevent and cure chronic disease, help you achieve your maximum physical potential, and make it easy to reach and maintain your ideal weight. In this book, you’ll read the stories of dozens of people who are enjoying the blessings of following a Word of Wisdom diet, and you’ll get concrete advice on how to get started!

You will discover:

What we should and should not eat to enjoy maximum physical health.
How food is intimately connected to our spiritual well being.
Why Latter-day Saints are succumbing to the same chronic diseases as the rest of the population, despite not smoking, drinking, or doing drugs.
How the Word of Wisdom was designed specifically for our day.
How you can receive the “hidden treasures” and other blessings promised in the Word of Wisdom.
Why eating the foods God has ordained for our use is better not just for our bodies but for the animals and for the earth.
You may think you know what the Word of Wisdom says, but you’ll be amazed at what you have missed. Learn why Mormons all over the world are “waking up” to the Word of Wisdom!!

Here is a link to her series on the Word of Wisdom in Meridian Magazine:
http://www.ldsmag.com/author/12091

Don’t We Need Animal Foods to Be Healthy?

Why would the Word of Wisdom instruct us to avoid animal flesh as a featured part of our diet if, as we are taught, animal foods are an important part of a balanced meal? Where can we get the nutrients to be healthy and strong if we don’t regularly consume meat? Aren’t there certain nutrients we must get from animal foods in order for our bodies to function optimally? Aren’t meat and dairy two of the important food groups?

There is only one reason why we ask these questions—one root cause of our confusion over animal foods: it is in the financial interest of a great many people to convince us that animals foods are good for our health, or at the very least, to make us believe the evidence against them is not strong. Nothing could be further from the truth! The Lord has even told us that the counsel in the Word of Wisdom is a warning given in consequence of those who try to take advantage of us for their own interests (see D&C 89:3).

The science of nutrition is clearly in its infancy. There is more we don’t know than what we do know. Fortunately, the science is clear enough on the fundamentals, on all those aspects of diet and nutrition that can enable the vast majority of us to eat in a way that will support our optimal health and weight. But we need to rely on the counsel given us in D&C 89 to sort fact from fiction.

http://www.ldsmag.com/article/1/14463

Oh, the irony....

Her conclusion?
The bulk of our calories should come from starchy plants, which are primarily grains, such as wheat, barley, oats, rice, and millet. These are the foods that have fueled large, healthy populations throughout history.[6]

http://www.ldsmag.com/article/1/14213
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_Equality
_Emeritus

Re: Jane Birch making money out of the Word of Wisdom

Post by _Equality »

The bulk of our calories should come from starchy plants,

Right. Because Mormons are not eating enough starchy foods. :rolleyes:
"The Church is authoritarian, tribal, provincial, and founded on a loosely biblical racist frontier sex cult."--Juggler Vain
"The lds church is the Amway of religions. Even with all the soap they sell, they still manage to come away smelling dirty."--Some Schmo
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

Bazooka wrote:
The bulk of our calories should come from starchy plants, which are primarily grains, such as wheat, barley, oats, rice, and millet. These are the foods that have fueled large people throughout history.[6]

http://www.ldsmag.com/article/1/14213

A slight correction in her quote.

This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_Equality
_Emeritus

Post by _Equality »

The bulk of our calories should come from starchy plants, which are primarily grains, such as wheat, barley, oats, rice, and millet. These are the foods that have fueled large, healthy populations throughout history.
I suppose so, if by "history" one means the last few thousand years. Which for Mormons might make sense, since they believe humans have only been on this planet for 6,000 years. Poor deluded souls such as I, who think humans have been around for 2.5 million years, and anatomically modern humans for about 200,000, would disagree that grains such as wheat have been the primary source of food for humans "throughout history."
"The Church is authoritarian, tribal, provincial, and founded on a loosely biblical racist frontier sex cult."--Juggler Vain
"The lds church is the Amway of religions. Even with all the soap they sell, they still manage to come away smelling dirty."--Some Schmo
_cinepro
_Emeritus

Post by _cinepro »

To be fair, the comments are hardly supportive of her interpretation/theory.
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

cinepro wrote:To be fair, the comments are hardly supportive of her interpretation/theory.

I think what's unfortunate is her linkage to the WOW and the attempt to profit from that. The principles around a vegetarian diet are largely sound.
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_ZelphtheGreat
_Emeritus

Post by _ZelphtheGreat »

Is rice mentioned in the WofW? How about Canola and Soybeans?

Sushi?
“If paying tithing means that you can’t pay for water or electricity, pay tithing. If paying tithing means that you can’t pay your rent, pay tithing. Even if paying tithing means that you don’t have enough money to feed your family, pay tithing." Ensign/2012/12
_Spanner
_Emeritus

Post by _Spanner »

The populations that thrive on high starch diets do not eat refined foods like sugar at all, the starches are mostly root vegetables, not grains, and they include lots of coconut and fish.

In Asia, Buddhist, Hindu, and Jain vegetarians ate a rice and legume based diet, but since the introduction of sugar and refined foods obesity is just as much of a problem as anywhere else. Traditional breads were made from legume flour, not grains. They use a lot of dairy products, like ghee, yoghurt, and paneer.

I am trying to think of a traditional non-rice grain-based vegetarian population, but I just can't. Anyone have any ideas?

Suggesting a high starch diet, whole food or not, for people who are already insulin resistant is a recipe for disaster. And I suspect a lot of her target audience are already insulin resistant.

Edit: the point I was trying for is that people who have traditionally thrived on whole food plant based diets have been on them for life (so didn't start the diet already insulin resistant); don't base them on western grains; get protein from legumes, dairy, or fish; and include lashings of saturated fats from dairy and/or coconut. Hard to see the WoW there.
_Elphaba
_Emeritus

Post by _Elphaba »

This article claims Seventh-day Adventists have a life expectancy that is around ten years longer than the average American's.

So, just as it is true the Seventh-Day Adventist Church is converting more people globally at a faster rate than the Mormons, if the above-referenced article is accurate, the SDAC's health guidelines are keeping them alive longer than the Word of Wisdom is keeping Mormons alive. I realize it's probably by fewer years than the American average of ten, but still.

Elphaba
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)
~~Walt Whitman
_Equality
_Emeritus

Post by _Equality »

Spanner wrote:The populations that thrive on high starch diets do not eat refined foods like sugar at all, the starches are mostly root vegetables, not grains, and they include lots of coconut and fish.

In Asia, Buddhist, Hindu, and Jain vegetarians ate a rice and legume based diet, but since the introduction of sugar and refined foods obesity is just as much of a problem as anywhere else. Traditional breads were made from legume flour, not grains. They use a lot of dairy products, like ghee, yoghurt, and paneer.

I am trying to think of a traditional non-rice grain-based vegetarian population, but I just can't. Anyone have any ideas?

Suggesting a high starch diet, whole food or not, for people who are already insulin resistant is a recipe for disaster. And I suspect a lot of her target audience are already insulin resistant.

Edit: the point I was trying for is that people who have traditionally thrived on whole food plant based diets have been on them for life (so didn't start the diet already insulin resistant); don't base them on western grains; get protein from legumes, dairy, or fish; and include lashings of saturated fats from dairy and/or coconut. Hard to see the WoW there.

+1