Why didn't the Apostle see this coming?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_BartBurk
_Emeritus

Re: Why didn't the Apostle see this coming?

Post by _BartBurk »

Bazooka wrote:
BartBurk wrote:And if God inspires the Apostles and First Presidency to send a missionary to a place that might be a little dangerous, that wouldn't be all that unusual from a Christian standpoint. The history of Christianity is full of people who have been called on missions to places where they wound up either dying or being persecuted. The idea that God wouldn't call people into harm's way to spread the news about Jesus doesn't make any sense. Remember that old hymn, "I'll Go Where You Want Me to Go Dear Lord?"

I'm a Catholic not a Mormon, but I think the argument you are making just doesn't wash with anyone who believes in Jesus. People die all the time in God's service and are willing to do so to move His kingdom forward.

I'm not suggesting God wouldn't call people into harms way.
I'm asking why He keeps changing His mind when it comes to Mormon missionaries?

Maybe you can figure it out when you become God.
_No_Hidden_Agenda
_Emeritus

Post by _No_Hidden_Agenda »

I love how well God can determine the health and wellness of the missionaries that he'll call them to serve only to have them sent home from the MTC to deal with mental or physical conditions that should have precluded them from the very first interview.

Were God in the process, you'd think he'd inspire the Bishop or Stake President or Apostle issuing the call to say "You need to handle XYZ first as an act of faith and for your own good before the Lord can extend you a call."

Instead, its only if the prospective missionary admits to sin that they are held back or shares their health/mental condition that they may get flagged. Discernment and Godly influence require the blantant clues to activate.
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

Post by _Sanctorian »

I think the biggest issue is not that God would inspire the apostles to call a missionary to a location only to have it cut short by something like Ebola, but the fact that God didn't remove the missionaries or provide warning through the prophets leading up to said event. The biblical prophets always provided warnings of catastrophe. Why not the apostles and prophets today?

A biblical prophet would have said something like, "Prepare yourselves for the great and terrible judgment of the Lord is upon you. Let it be known that in four score and seven years from now, a great plague will cover the land. Many shall perish to show the people the great mercies of the Lord. Those that have ears to hear, let them hear."

The prophets of today say "Let's go shopping!!!!"

See the difference.
I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

mentalgymnast wrote:
Craig Paxton wrote:Imagine that...2 Mormons killed by Ebola... Is Ebola stronger than Gods priesthood blessings? Guess so...

C'mon.

You know Craig...I don't know who you are in real life...along with just about everyone else on this board, but when I hear supposedly smart and educated people like you mindlessly drone on with drivel like this I'm questioning what leaving the church does to your ability to think outside of the box you've constructed for yourself. You and others like you, in my opinion, are prideful and arrogant in your pseudo self righteousness and judgmental, ironclad, and dogmatic views towards that which you left behind.

I wouldn't say he has trouble thinking outside of the box. I think he has trouble thinking your ideas make any sense. I don't think it prideful or arrogant to identify some of the problems with church claims like inspiration, priesthood power that can heal the sick and dying. Even bring back the dead. The trouble is your middle ground/outside the box thinking is not distinguishable from no inspiration or priesthood power to heal. In the end you have no reason to believe your made up ideas other then you cannot be sure they are impossible. This is no different then a Scientologist trying to justify beliefs in Scientology.
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Themis wrote:The trouble is your middle ground/outside the box thinking is not distinguishable from no inspiration or priesthood power to heal.

From the outside looking in I realize this. But for me, it works. So when I see others seemingly pushing against the "middle way" as having little or no basis in rational thinking it kind of ticks me off. But that's my problem. I may have been a bit harsh in my comments made on this thread last evening. For that I apologize.

For what it's worth, again, I would expect and am not surprised that I live in a world in which it appears that everything observable with the five senses is just as it is...natural. As in, nature operating on its own and going on its merry way, or not so merry at times, without any noticeable interaction with deity. Reason being that if faith and individual choice/progress/trials are necessary components of life, I wouldn't expect God to intervene very often, if at all.

The Genocide of the Jews at the time of Hitler kind of proves that point...at least for me. Mao Tse-tung's horrific actions and others like him seem to show that there is very little direct influence from God in the affairs of men. Most of the time.

Although I'd like to think that there were a few little nudges that occurred towards the end of WWII that seem to have pushed the world to a more healthy place, albeit communism became a real influence from that point on.

Anyway, in regards to the OP...I think that it is kind silly to start pointing fingers at anyone, or God, at times like this. I think I am actually more comfortable with the idea of a God that intervenes with the small stuff (micro level) rather than the big stuff (macro level). Basically for the reasons I've already expressed.

Regards,
MG
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

mentalgymnast wrote:
Themis wrote:The trouble is your middle ground/outside the box thinking is not distinguishable from no inspiration or priesthood power to heal.

From the outside looking in I realize this. But for me, it works. So when I see others seemingly pushing against the "middle way" as having little or no basis in rational thinking it kind of ticks me off. But that's my problem. I may have been a bit harsh in my comments made on this thread last evening. For that I apologize.

For what it's worth, again, I would expect and am not surprised that I live in a world in which it appears that everything observable with the five senses is just as it is...natural. As in, nature operating on its own and going on its merry way, or not so merry at times, without any noticeable interaction with deity. Reason being that if faith and individual choice/progress/trials are necessary components of life, I wouldn't expect God to intervene very often, if at all.

The Genocide of the Jews at the time of Hitler kind of proves that point...at least for me. Mao Tse-tung's horrific actions and others like him seem to show that there is very little direct influence from God in the affairs of men. Most of the time.

Although I'd like to think that there were a few little nudges that occurred towards the end of WWII that seem to have pushed the world to a more healthy place, albeit communism became a real influence from that point on.

Anyway, in regards to the OP...I think that it is kind silly to start pointing fingers at anyone, or God, at times like this. I think I am actually more comfortable with the idea of a God that intervenes with the small stuff (micro level) rather than the big stuff (macro level). Basically for the reasons I've already expressed.

Regards,
MG

So...you prefer to think God stood back and allowed the Jews to suffer genocide but that He will help you find your car keys. And you think pointing fingers is silly....

:eek:
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Bazooka wrote:So...you prefer to think God stood back and allowed the Jews to suffer genocide...

Well, yes, because that's exactly what He did...that is if you believe that there is a creator/God.

Bazooka wrote:...but that He will help you find your car keys. And you think pointing fingers is silly....

:eek:

He hasn't helped me find my car keys...but I have had intervention on a micro scale in my life...or so I believe. So yes, I think God will answer prayers of individuals so that they are blessed with knowledge that He loves and cares about them as individuals. Life's circumstances, however, make it sometimes difficult...even for God...to answer the heartfelt prayer. I'm sure that in many, many, cases throughout the world's history as man has inflicted cruel or barbaric practices on his fellowman there were prayers offered up for deliverance or protection. But what's a God to do when one of his children is being prodded/man handled into a gas chamber, etc. ? The intervention would have to be on a macro scale (kill all of the guards, cause Hitler and his henchman to die in an airplane accident, etc.). God doesn't seem to take that approach too often, if at all (Red Sea division for example).

Think of Joseph's experience in Liberty Jail. God wasn't there...but He was. If you believe that narrative/story. Joseph seemed to be OK with that...until he couldn't take it anymore and called on God with great faith/feeling. And he got an answer. If that's the pattern, we should also "be OK with that" and seek after an answer to those things that confound us.

If God operates, more often than not, at a micro/individual level there are obviously going to be some limits/constraints on what He will/can do. Humans and the evil they do, natural disasters, accidents, and disease/germs...like Ebola... seem to get in the way. :cry:

Regards,
MG
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

MG, can you describe what you class as the kind of micro intervention you believe God has a hand in?
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Why should God worry about Ebola? It's not news to God. And the thing is.... God knows none of us is going to get out of this life alive. That's right, folks: we're all going to die. So what if it's by Ebola or the Bubonic Plague? We're all still going to die.
(Nevo, Jan 23) And the Melchizedek Priesthood may not have been restored until the summer of 1830, several months after the organization of the Church.
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

mentalgymnast wrote:

Even as a believing member I was able to make this observation that the priesthood doesn't appear to be doing any real healing that I could verify. Benny Hinn creates a better appearance then we did in the LDS church. That's not bad since I am fairly certain he was being dishonest.

For what it's worth, again, I would expect and am not surprised that I live in a world in which it appears that everything observable with the five senses is just as it is...natural. As in, nature operating on its own and going on its merry way, or not so merry at times, without any noticeable interaction with deity.

Only because that's all we saw growing up. We were taught certain fairly tales as true. This did not fit with what we observed as we grew older and started to think more critically. This is why we eventually started to question Santa as a real being who lived at the North Pole.

Reason being that if faith and individual choice/progress/trials are necessary components of life, I wouldn't expect God to intervene very often, if at all.

I am going to refer you to a thread I think deals with this problem.
http://www.mormondiscussions.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35346

The scriptures tend to have God being much more involved on a macro level. I am not sure you are more comfortable with God doing only the micro, but that is the only way to rectify what you see with God existing and being involved.

He hasn't helped me find my car keys...but I have had intervention on a micro scale in my life...or so I believe. So yes, I think God will answer prayers of individuals so that they are blessed with knowledge that He loves and cares about them as individuals. Life's circumstances, however, make it sometimes difficult...even for God...to answer the heartfelt prayer. I'm sure that in many, many, cases throughout the world's history as man has inflicted cruel or barbaric practices on his fellowman there were prayers offered up for deliverance or protection. But what's a God to do when one of his children is being prodded/man handled into a gas chamber, etc. ? The intervention would have to be on a macro scale (kill all of the guards, cause Hitler and his henchman to die in an airplane accident, etc.). God doesn't seem to take that approach too often, if at all (Red Sea division for example).

What we see is claims from the Bible, Book of Mormon, etc that God likes to get involved on a macro level. What we really see in the real world that can be verified is nothing.

If God operates, more often than not, at a micro/individual level there are obviously going to be some limits/constraints on what He will/can do. Humans and the evil they do, natural disasters, accidents, and disease/germs...like Ebola... seem to get in the way.

I like to look at, if god exists, what evidence do I have that this is true. So far we cannot go past this hurdle.