Mormon Feminist challenges BYU's No Sex Rule

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

Mormon Feminist challenges BYU's No Sex Rule

Post by _Sanctorian »

But my attitude changed after I joined the Young Mormon Feminists, a group that's not endorsed by the Church or BYU. We talk about how the Church doesn't see women as equal to men and how BYU is slut-shaming. The school's honor code forces women to dress modestly — no skirts above the knee — supposedly to help men control their thoughts. The group helped me reclaim my sexuality and realize my sexual assault wasn't my fault. I'm now in a questioning phase with the Church. I still think the idea of committing to someone for eternity is beautiful, but the Church could use improvement in the way it treats women.

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/college/news/a29830/sex-ban-brigham-young-university/
I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: Mormon Feminist challenges BYU's No Sex Rule

Post by _moksha »

A sophomore at BYU? That's like one or two years wasted toward getting a degree. So what will happen is they will expel her from BYU and disfellowship or excommunicate her from the Church. She will end up someplace where she will find happiness, contentment and fairness.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_ZelphtheGreat
_Emeritus

Post by _ZelphtheGreat »

Obviously her former Bishops shirked their responsibilities while interviewing her. Apparently either missed asking if she masterbates or failing to discern whether she was lying.

It is not her fault but that of the Holy Ghost for failing to tell her leaders the truth.
“If paying tithing means that you can’t pay for water or electricity, pay tithing. If paying tithing means that you can’t pay your rent, pay tithing. Even if paying tithing means that you don’t have enough money to feed your family, pay tithing." Ensign/2012/12
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Did LDS Social Services counseling not help her at all?

Does this reflect an increase in Big Brother watchfulness, or is this business as usual for BYU?
(Nevo, Jan 23) And the Melchizedek Priesthood may not have been restored until the summer of 1830, several months after the organization of the Church.
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Post by _Sethbag »

I wish her luck, but if she desires to stay on at BYU I don't think this will end well for her.
Mormonism ceased being a compelling topic for me when I finally came to terms with its transformation from a personality cult into a combination of a real estate company, a SuperPac, and Westboro Baptist Church. - Kishkumen
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

What point is there to the Honor Code, if it indeed does not uphold honor? If it rewards the unrighteous?

Calling anyone a slut is bad enough; doing it on the Lord's own campus, to women who are victims of sexual assault, is definitely not honorable. And thus should be held to official sanction by the highest court on the campus: the Honor Code.
(Nevo, Jan 23) And the Melchizedek Priesthood may not have been restored until the summer of 1830, several months after the organization of the Church.