John Dehlin Stake President update 8/23/14

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Sammy Jankins
_Emeritus

John Dehlin Stake President update 8/23/14

Post by _Sammy Jankins »

I know there is probably some fatigue in regards to the debates over John Dehlin. Still I found some of the demands made by his stake president interesting.

An update on my discussion with the Stake President
_sunstoned
_Emeritus

Re: John Dehlin Stake President update 8/23/14

Post by _sunstoned »

It does not look like this is going to end well for John.
_Arrakis
_Emeritus

Post by _Arrakis »

sunstoned wrote:It does not look like this is going to end well for John.

It depends on what the definition of "well" happens to be. I think he'll be quite well once he's free of their paranoia.
_Mayan Elephant
_Emeritus

Post by _Mayan Elephant »

sunstoned wrote:It does not look like this is going to end well for John.

what do you mean? it looks like it is ending perfectly for [mormonstories]. what makes this look at all like it is not well for [mormonstories]?

it appears to me there is no consequence for anything he has done and all his sycophants think he is the winner and the victim. no skin off his nose and lots more accolades. he gets to go on prescribing the fix for so-called crises of faith, beginning with how to navigate a marriage and how to raise children. he stood for something, no? and he is still standing. Mormon mental health associates is still intact, the nom moderators still think he hung the moon, open stories is unaffected and he can still claim to be a practicing faithful Mormon. how is this ending poorly or how could it end poorly?

do you think peggy stack will run a story on it in the sunday edition of the trib?
Last edited by Guest on Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Rocks don't speak for themselves" is an unfortunate phrase to use in defense of a book produced by a rock actually 'speaking' for itself... (I have a Question, 5.15.15)
_Sammy Jankins
_Emeritus

Post by _Sammy Jankins »

At this point I think the Stake President would be foolish to take any official sanction against John. Now when believers hear of John Dehlin they'll know that he is basically no longer "a member in good standing" and that his Stake President has asked him to remove content from Mormon Stories. I think that's enough. The well has been poisoned whether justified or unjustified.

But even if he did, it has probably been long enough since Kate Kelly that it wouldn't be a national story.
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

I don't see John backing down on the OW or gay marriage issues.
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson
_Mayan Elephant
_Emeritus

Post by _Mayan Elephant »

cwald wrote:I don't see [mormonstories] backing down on the OW or gay marriage issues.

didn't he back off the gay marriage and lgbt stuff when he carved out circling the wagons? i do not think any topic or any person is a non-negotiable. that certainly has never been the case in the past. i have spoken to him, directly, in person, face-to-face, about some of those issues and i promise you he is not as sympathetic to the lgbt issues as he pretends to be. i can see him backing off of anything.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Rocks don't speak for themselves" is an unfortunate phrase to use in defense of a book produced by a rock actually 'speaking' for itself... (I have a Question, 5.15.15)
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

Mayan Elephant wrote:...

didn't he back off the gay marriage and lgbt stuff when he carved out circling the wagons? ...

Hmmm? What do you mean? What do you mean by "carved out?"

Ps...ME, I am very happy and willing to have this discussion here. Nothing personal from the NOM thread.
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

I have to agree with Mayan Elephant here. It sounds to me like Dehlin has managed a free pass. There is no foreseeable Church court and his current membership in good standing is intact.

I am happy for John, but frustrated at the blatant difference between how he was treated as opposed to how Kate Kelly was treated. Before Kelly was excommunicated, she was placed on a probation that was more strict than most disfellowshipments.

John has received nothing but a couple of threats and a slap on the wrist. He was even given the option to resign his membership before a Church court was to be considered convening. At the end of it all, they are taking a wait and see approach and Dehlin is free to carry on with his broadcast with good standing membership well intact.

Blatant sexism, anyone ?
Last edited by Guest on Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _SteelHead »

Sexism? From the Mormon church?

Unpossible.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin