for what it's worth: My thoughts on new essay re Joseph Smith's polygamy

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Rollo Tomasi
_Emeritus

for what it's worth: My thoughts on new essay re Joseph Smith's polygamy

Post by _Rollo Tomasi »

Here's the latest in my "for what it's worth" series -- my thoughts about the new LDS essay addressing Joseph Smith's polygamy and polyandry in Kirtland and Nauvoo. The paper ended up being far too long to post normally, so I had to create it as a "google doc." You can access a PDF copy of the paper via the link below.

EDITED TO ADD:

Below is the link to my THIRD revised draft (dated 11/18/14), which tones down much of the emphasis (especially bold font) and adds further discussion about Patty Bartlett Sessions and her "time and all eternity" phrase in her journal entry (on pp. 38-40 of this version):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B22-zr ... t0cHM/view
Last edited by Yahoo [Bot] on Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Moving beyond apologist persuasion, LDS polemicists furiously (and often fraudulently) attack any non-traditional view of Mormonism. They don't mince words -- they mince the truth."

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Re: for what it's worth: My thoughts on new essay re Joseph Smith's polygam

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Rollo,

Excellent analysis!
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Mormon Think
_Emeritus

Post by _Mormon Think »

thanks Rollo. I am working on a response for MormonThink to the essay. I'd like to reference this if you don't mind.

Bill
_Rollo Tomasi
_Emeritus

Post by _Rollo Tomasi »

Mormon Think wrote:thanks Rollo. I am working on a response for MormonThink to the essay. I'd like to reference this if you don't mind.
Be my guest, Bill.

Rollo
"Moving beyond apologist persuasion, LDS polemicists furiously (and often fraudulently) attack any non-traditional view of Mormonism. They don't mince words -- they mince the truth."

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)
_Flaming Meaux
_Emeritus

Post by _Flaming Meaux »

Near the end of page 16, in the context of the 1831 revelation on Lamanite concubines, you say:

Be that as it may, should a historical record like this (even if horribly embarrassing) be ignored in an Essay intended to answers questions about controversial LDS history, such as polygamy? I think so.

I think you meant to say either "I don't think so," or "a historical record like this (even in horribly embarrassing) be disclosed in an Essay intended . . ."

Just caught my eye.
_informant
_Emeritus

Post by _informant »

lots of work to produce 52 pages...............and you wont even sign your real name to it
University education is increasingly a scam that is nowhere near cost justified. - Gadianton, dean of Cassius university link
_Rollo Tomasi
_Emeritus

Post by _Rollo Tomasi »

Flaming Meaux wrote:Near the end of page 16, in the context of the 1831 revelation on Lamanite concubines, you say:

Be that as it may, should a historical record like this (even if horribly embarrassing) be ignored in an Essay intended to answers questions about controversial LDS history, such as polygamy? I think so.

I think you meant to say either "I don't think so," or "a historical record like this (even in horribly embarrassing) be disclosed in an Essay intended . . ."

Just caught my eye.
You're right. Good catch! I'll make the change. Thanks.

_Rollo Tomasi
_Emeritus

Post by _Rollo Tomasi »

informant wrote:lots of work to produce 52 pages...............and you wont even sign your real name to it
Nah, the only thing I care about is getting out the information.

_cinepro
_Emeritus

Post by _cinepro »

That's pretty epic, Rollo. I would only say, about the first part of the essay, that the Church has promoted the essays in Deseret News and the Church News, so they are getting the word out. I wouldn't be surprised to see the essays mentioned in an upcoming Ensign as well (although they should print them there too, since that would make them "scripture" to many LDS).
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Mormon Think wrote:thanks Rollo. I am working on a response for MormonThink to the essay. I'd like to reference this if you don't mind.

Bill

Peer reviewed!

V/R
Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.