Royal Skousen's Book of Mormon project needs new home

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Tom
_Emeritus

Royal Skousen's Book of Mormon project needs new home

Post by _Tom »

In a lengthy appeal for funding to keep the Interpreter Foundation afloat, Daniel Peterson indicates that, "owing to unwelcome external circumstances," Royal Skousen's Book of Mormon Critical Text Project "suddenly needs to find a new home." Skousen is now seeking $40,000 for a year to continue the project outside the auspices of the Maxwell Institute and has gone so far as to approach the Interpreter Foundation for help. (Peterson reports on Facebook that Skousen "wants nothing more to do with the Maxwell Institute.")
Last edited by Guest on Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“A scholar said he could not read the Book of Mormon, so we shouldn’t be shocked that scholars say the papyri don’t translate and/or relate to the Book of Abraham. Doesn’t change anything. It’s ancient and historical.” ~ Hanna Seariac
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Re: Royal Skousen's Book of Mormon project needs new home

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Begging for donations is becoming a fairly common event for DCP. It's starting to reek of desperation.

I feel sorry for DCP. He seems incapable of grasping the most basic rule of economics. Namely, if your product is crappy, it's not going to sell.

To be honest, the Interpreter has put out A LOT of crap. DCP somehow thinks he can make up for this crappy product by sheer volume.

If DCP wants it survive much longer, he needs to trade quantity for quality. Something which I doubt he is capable of.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Aristotle Smith
_Emeritus

Post by _Aristotle Smith »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:Begging for donations is becoming a fairly common event for DCP. It's starting to reek of desperation.

Not really, I'm sure a large percentage of his time while at NAMIRS was spent fundraising as well. It's simply business as usual for someone who is heading a non-profit.

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:I feel sorry for DCP. He seems incapable of grasping the most basic rule of economics. Namely, if your product is crappy, it's not going to sell.

The FARMS stuff was equally crappy, but it also sold.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

$40,000 to keep that dig into the Cumorah hillside active seems like a bargain. Hope Dr. Peterson and the Interpreter is able to find the patrons to make this happen.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Aristotle Smith wrote:
Not really, I'm sure a large percentage of his time while at NAMIRS was spent fundraising as well. It's simply business as usual for someone who is heading a non-profit.

True. However, these requests for donations, in addition to becoming alarmingly more frequent, also are becoming more and more desperate in tone.

It's just a little strange and pathetic.

Aristotle Smith wrote:
The FARMS stuff was equally crappy, but it also sold.

True. Crap seems to be the one common denominator with the DCP FARM'S era and the Mormon Interpreter.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Does anyone have any idea why Royal Skousen would need $40,000.00 for a year? I thought the project was done and therefore required no further money.

Assuming he gets the funding, what will he do over the next year, and will another donation be required next year, too, in an ongoing fashion?
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

No surprise. Will Schryver used to talk about how much he "hung out" with Skousen. They'd actually have "movie night" with popcorn over at his place.
_Polygamy-Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy-Porter »

moksha wrote:$40,000 to keep that dig into the Cumorah hillside active seems like a bargain. Hope Dr. Peterson and the Interpreter is able to find the patrons to make this happen.

That would pay for several large backhoes and earth movers for sure.

With the "wagonloads" of gold plates that they would unearth and thereby sell to LDS Inc, $40K is a sound investment.
New name: Boaz
The most viewed "ignored" poster in Shady Acres® !
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

Tom wrote:In a lengthy appeal for funding to keep the Interpreter Foundation afloat, Daniel Peterson indicates that, "owing to unwelcome external circumstances," Royal Skousen's Book of Mormon Critical Text Project "suddenly needs to find a new home." Skousen is now seeking $40,000 for a year to continue the project outside the auspices of the Maxwell Institute and has gone so far as to approach the Interpreter Foundation for help. (Peterson reports on Facebook that Skousen "wants nothing more to do with the Maxwell Institute.")

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterso ... ation.html

What I 'heard' when reading this appeal was that the Church is seeking to distance itself from Skousen's nonsense and so has pulled any funding for it.

And the question Peterson should be asking himself is....
We are, of necessity, but also out of our deep belief in and commitment to the goals of The Interpreter Foundation, moving seriously into fundraising.

...why the Church isn't willing to fund Interpreter?

At some point it will dawn on the Church Leaders that Peterson is as bigger threat to the validity their leadership as Kate Kelly and Denver Snuffer were. Perhaps even bigger, but definitely more subtle. When that realisation comes it will be interesting to see how the Church handles it. I'm not sure the time is all that far off.
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_Nightlion
_Emeritus

Post by _Nightlion »

Polygamy-Porter wrote:
moksha wrote:$40,000 to keep that dig into the Cumorah hillside active seems like a bargain. Hope Dr. Peterson and the Interpreter is able to find the patrons to make this happen.

That would pay for several large backhoes and earth movers for sure.

With the "wagonloads" of gold plates that they would unearth and thereby sell to LDS Inc, $40K is a sound investment.

I had not heard of this . Where on earth is Skousen digging? For real. If it ain't in Northern Colombia he is haplessly lost and futile will be the end.
The Apocalrock Manifesto and Wonders of Eternity: New Mormon Theology
https://www.docdroid.net/KDt8RNP/the-apocalrock-manifesto.pdf
https://www.docdroid.net/IEJ3KJh/wonders-of-eternity-2009.pdf
My YouTube videos:HERE