Introduction

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Zadok
_Emeritus

Introduction

Post by _Zadok »

I am new to these sacred halls. And while there doesn't seem to be a formal place for introductions, I thought I would stand in Priesthood opening exercises and tell you a little about myself.

I discovered the DAMU about 5 or 6 years ago. As I read about the true history and conflicts in Mormonism, my lifelong brainwashing came tumbling down. At first I looked to Stay LDS for support while I clutched at anything to help me believe. It helped me for a moment, but Stay LDS isn't vibrant, and the believers there were too much like my High Priest Group Leader. Loyal, but unthinking!

Recovering from Mormonism, and ExMormon were too angry for me and not very supportive. And then, I found New Order Mormon (NOM) and found a place I could call home. I have participated in the discussions there for 5 years and enjoyed nearly every minute of my time there.

NOM gives lots of support to struggling members and the recently disaffected. But over the last 18 months as the essays have been published and the Church has admitted to what before were vicious anti-Mormon lies, I have found myself becoming more angry. Maybe beyond the tone of NOM.

Additionally, NOM has a large group of activist women. Beyond just wanting the priesthood, many of these women are what has been called... "Anti-men". They are quick to take offense, slow to forgive, they are loud, vocal, and push Thayne (the administrator) into moderating decisions that I think he probably would not do on his own). I am a refugee from this 'moderation' and the anti-men tone which has invaded NOM.

Going forward, I hope to be able to contribute here. Enjoy the conversations, add to the dialog and form new and lasting friendships.

If you would like to know more... Just ask.
A friendship that requires agreement in all things, is not worthy of the term friendship.
_cafe crema
_Emeritus

Re: Introduction

Post by _cafe crema »

Why do you think Thayne is just letting himself be pushed around rather than making decisions on his own?
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

Welcome.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_Zadok
_Emeritus

Post by _Zadok »

cafe crema wrote:Why do you think Thayne is just letting himself be pushed around rather than making decisions on his own?
I don't know, and maybe he isn't. I do know that sometimes as an administrator of a forum like NOM, it is easier to just give in on a minor point, than to constantly be barraged by complainers. The old... "It's better that one user perish, than an entire forum be deluged with comments from those who have decided to take offense."
A friendship that requires agreement in all things, is not worthy of the term friendship.
_Hasa Diga Eebowai
_Emeritus

-

Post by _Hasa Diga Eebowai »

-
Last edited by Guest on Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Welcome NOM R,

Participation ebbs and flows here. The wonderful thing about this board is there is little moderation. The biggest advocates of censorship, typically TBMs and hateful feminists, have left this board because they can't control the narrative or can't take what they dish out.

Feel free to post whatever is on your mind. Your voice will not be silenced on this board, and you have Dr. Shades to thank for that.

V/R
Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Zadok
_Emeritus

Post by _Zadok »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:The biggest advocates of censorship, typically TBMs and hateful feminists, have left this board because they can't control the narrative or can't take what they dish out.
I think I know where some of them went! :wink:
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

NOM Refugee wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:The biggest advocates of censorship, typically TBMs and hateful feminists, have left this board because they can't control the narrative or can't take what they dish out.

Do you have any particular threads in mind? I'm always entertained by message board hysteria.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_cafe crema
_Emeritus

Post by _cafe crema »

NOM Refugee wrote:

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Do you have any particular threads in mind? I'm always entertained by message board hysteria.

- Doc

Yes I'd like to see some threads that are anti-men as I can't say I noticed that there is a large cohort expressing that sentiment. There was quite a backlash to the poster who said if it were up to him he wouldn't allow women to vote and men who long for polygamy aren't well thought of over there.
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Post by _ludwigm »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:The wonderful thing about this board is there is little moderation.

Hehehe.
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei