When Doubts and Questions Arise - March Ensign

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Sammy Jankins
_Emeritus

Post by _Sammy Jankins »

What, then, is the difference between a question and a doubt? Questions, when asked with a sincere desire to increase one’s understanding and faith, are to be encouraged. Many ancient and modern revelations have come as the result of a sincere question.1 The scriptural injunction to seek and to ask in order to find is among the most frequently repeated. Sincere questions are those asked with the “real intent” (Moroni 10:4) to better understand and more fully obey the will of the Lord.

Be aware that Satan can magnify our doubts or lead us to justify our sins. The Holy Ghost will prompt us with uncomfortable feelings when we sin, and we can either repent or reject these promptings. As doubts arise, it may be useful to honestly ask yourself, Is there something I am doing or desiring that is contrary to the gospel? If you answer yes, seek help from your bishop. It can make all the difference! Letting your doubts justify your sins is never a successful substitute for repenting.
_suniluni2
_Emeritus

Re: When Doubts and Questions Arise - March Ensign

Post by _suniluni2 »

"Real intent" always leads to "the church is true". If it doesn't, it's because you masturbate.
_Polygamy-Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy-Porter »

New name: Boaz
The most viewed "ignored" poster in Shady Acres® !
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Good evening, I have a question:

My question: If a Mormon parent had a teenager who had become involved in Scientology who came home with an article like this as justification for not examining Scientology outside of these prescribed limits, would they still be supportive of this approach to doubts and questions?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Good evening, I have a question:

The author, Tad Callister, gives us an insight into some of the things that make up his shelf.

“I can live with some human imperfections, even among prophets of God—that is to be expected in mortal beings. I can live with some alleged scientific findings contrary to the Book of Mormon; time will correct those. And I can live with some seeming historical anomalies; they are minor in the total landscape of truth."

My question: If I apply these standards, is there anything I would be unable to believe?

For instance: I can live with some human imperfections, even among CEO's of investment schemes - that is to be expected in mortal beings. I can live with some alleged irregularities contrary to the original investment memorandum, time will correct those. And I can live with some seeming historical anomalies in the returns on investment; they are minor in the total landscape of the investments truth. I believe in Bernie Madoff.

You can make a case for believing in literally anything, providing you have the ability to discount out of hand anything and everything that is contrary to what you want to believe.

My (other) question: Imagine Tad as a leader in Scientology, would you as a Mormon be impressed and convinced by his testimony, or would you be able to see the fundamental flaws in his approach?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

One thing I've learned from having stepped back from Mormonism is that Mormonism, as we knew it before correlation, is virtually meaningless. It is what you want it to be, and frankly it doesn't matter whether you believe it or not since mulligans are given in the hereafter.

Also, Hitler has a better chance of becoming a god right now than Mr. Dehlin. How's that for morality?

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Sammy Jankins
_Emeritus

Post by _Sammy Jankins »

Needless to say, but I posted this article because I didn't like it. I'd like to see others comments on it. Here are some of my first thoughts.

Largely because of the Internet, it is not uncommon for members of the Church to encounter ideas that challenge their beliefs. Some members find the questions raised to be disconcerting and wonder whether it is acceptable to have a question about their faith.

It is important to understand that it’s good to have questions. In fact, asking questions in faith is essential to our spiritual progress. However, sincere questions are not the same thing as doubts.

Do we get to choose consciously what is a question and what is a doubt?

What, then, is the difference between a question and a doubt? Questions, when asked with a sincere desire to increase one’s understanding and faith, are to be encouraged. Many ancient and modern revelations have come as the result of a sincere question. The scriptural injunction to seek and to ask in order to find is among the most frequently repeated. Sincere questions are those asked with the “real intent” (Moroni 10:4) to better understand and more fully obey the will of the Lord.

So I guess doubters don't have "real intent?"

One problem with doubt is the intent to obey only after the uncertainty is resolved to the satisfaction of the doubter. This is the attitude personified by Korihor, who said, “If thou wilt show unto me a sign … then will I be convinced of the truth” (Alma 30:43).

Awesome. Associating doubt directly with disobedience. What a great narrative the author is trying to create.

The power of doubt to destroy faith, hope, and even family is diminished the minute one sincerely says, “I will do the things the Lord has commanded, whether my questions are resolved quickly or ever, because I have covenanted to do so.” The difference between a faithful “I will keep the commandments because …” and a doubtful “I will keep the commandments if …” is of powerful and eternal import.

Doubt destroys hope and family. Absolutely shameless.

Be aware that Satan can magnify our doubts or lead us to justify our sins. The Holy Ghost will prompt us with uncomfortable feelings when we sin, and we can either repent or reject these promptings. As doubts arise, it may be useful to honestly ask yourself, Is there something I am doing or desiring that is contrary to the gospel? If you answer yes, seek help from your bishop. It can make all the difference! Letting your doubts justify your sins is never a successful substitute for repenting.

Have doubts about Joseph Smith marrying his foster daughters? It's probably those lustful thoughts you had a couple days ago. This is the essence of an abusive relationship: Having doubts about me? It's your fault. It's your shortcomings.

Some people also stumble over statements made by Church leaders that have turned out to be incorrect, not about doctrine but in their personal opinions. For example, President Joseph Fielding Smith (1876–1972) wrote in the first edition of his book Answers to Gospel Questions, “It is doubtful that man will ever be permitted to make any instrument or ship to travel through space and visit the moon or any distant planet.”

Later, following the Apollo moon landings and the death of President David O. McKay, Joseph Fielding Smith became President of the Church. At a press conference, a reporter asked him about this statement. President Smith replied, “Well, I was wrong, wasn’t I?”

At least in this case they admitted they were wrong.
_Willy Law
_Emeritus

Post by _Willy Law »

"Some people also stumble over statements made by Church leaders that have turned out to be incorrect, not about doctrine but in their personal opinions"

They need to add a 15th fundamental in following the prophet- The prophet may later be proven wrong, in this case he was simply stating his personal opinion.
It is my province to teach to the Church what the doctrine is. It is your province to echo what I say or to remain silent.
Bruce R. McConkie
_Sammy Jankins
_Emeritus

Post by _Sammy Jankins »

Willy Law wrote:
"Some people also stumble over statements made by Church leaders that have turned out to be incorrect, not about doctrine but in their personal opinions"

They need to add a 15th fundamental in following the prophet- The prophet may later be proven wrong, in this case he was simply stating his personal opinion.

A prophet is only a prophet until he says something that is demonstrably false or embarrassing.
_Sammy Jankins
_Emeritus

Post by _Sammy Jankins »

I have a question wrote:Good evening, I have a question:

My question: If a Mormon parent had a teenager who had become involved in Scientology who came home with an article like this as justification for not examining Scientology outside of these prescribed limits, would they still be supportive of this approach to doubts and questions?

It is clear the using the methodology in the article results in never switching sides or coming to the conclusion that you had it wrong. Which is fine by Mormons if you are already Mormon.