Mormon Studies or Mormon Hobbies?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Symmachus
_Emeritus

Mormon Studies or Mormon Hobbies?

Post by _Symmachus »

Getting published by Oxford University Press, if you're an academic, is a big deal. It means you've made a seriously important contribution to scholarship. It's authoritative because it's prestigious (of course it should be the other way around, but it isn't).

OUP has a 30% sale going on right now, so I'm looking around for something economical to waste my money on, and I meet a host of Mormon books. More than a few times on Podcasts I have heard Mormon books introduced by fawning about about the fact that they are published by Oxford. It's taken as a sign by both liberal and conservative Mormons alike that, at last, Mormonism is getting the respectability it deserves.

All the well known ones of recent years are here up for sale: Givens (even a completely unneeded 2nd edition of "Vipers on the Hearth"), Walker & Co. on Mountain Meadows, Sam Brown (I ask you, in what other field besides medicine would OUP even consider a manuscript from some doctor with no presence in that field but just decided the write the book in his spare time?), "The Mormon Menace," etc.

Get 'em while they're hot.

Forthcoming: "Mormon Feminism: Essential Writings." Contributors/editors include such important and weighty scholars as Joanna Brooks, who wrote a memoir and got some media attention, and Hannah Wheelwright, who blogs and just finished her undergraduate degree.

Forthcoming: "The Oxford Handbook of Mormonism" ($105 on sale, $150 when it's published). O. M. F. G. Well, I tell myself, at least they didn't call it the "Oxford Handbook of Mormon Studies." It "Offers the first comprehensive overview of the field of Mormon studies"..."Provides cutting edge scholarship on the global expansion of Mormonism"..."Brings together 45 of the top scholars in the field of Mormonism studies"...

Forthcoming: "Catholic and Mormon, A Theological Conversation." To entice you, OUP tells us that it's "The first book to bring these traditions together in an effort to trace their similarities and differences; Timely and relevant, given the increasing media attention on tensions between the two churches due to Mormon expansion and growth in traditionally Catholic areas; Authors are both converts to their respective traditions."

And there are many more titles in Mormonism, but almost all of them seem irrelevant outside of people who are already interested in Mormonism, namely Mormons. What about other academic academic publishing outfits? Not just the standards for Mormon stuff (Illinois, which published a lot on U.S. religious history, Utah State, University of Utah, BYU, and of course the Maxwell Institute, all of whose connections to Mormonism are obvious).

Cambridge: just three Mormon books, one an introduction (which I have read and which is intended for non-Mormon academics of religion), another an edited collection about Mormonism and politics (that seems like it could interest non-Mormons), and John Brooks's "Refiner's Fire."

Harvard: Turner's Brigham Young biography, obviously of interest to non-Mormons working on US history, western history, US religious history, or 19th century expansionism etc.

Yale: "Mormon Conflict, 1850-1859" (maybe of interest to historians of the US west?) and Skousen's Book of Mormon (I confess I have no idea who but Mormons would care about this).

None of these have anything like the proliferation of Mormon-themed books at Oxford University Press (or, as an older generation of Mormons might have called it, "the Oxford University Press" :biggrin: ). And the few books they do have look like they might have wider application.

But just consider some of the selling-points of these forthcoming titles at OUP: Has Mormon feminism really reached the point where it interests feminists outside of Mormonism at all? Are there even more than 45 scholars (e.g. employed academics whose primary research topic is Mormonism) in Mormon studies? Global expansion? Why is there no "Oxford Handbook of Pentacostalism," which is exponentially larger than Mormonism and far more influential on the global stage? And, Alonzo Gaskill, are you f***ing kidding me?!? This is someone who—and I say this as someone who saw him brag about this while I was a student of his—doesn't understand that teaching at Stanford and teaching at the LDS Institute in the vicinity of Stanford are different things.

So, my question, who is agent/agents at OUP who is/are soliciting/accepting all of these Mormon-themed books? Is s/he Mormon? Or, are they just really savvy? Because the fact is, Mormon studies is really a hobbyist enterprise for the most part, and it will probably never gain the wide academic relevance that some of the younger scholars hope for—yet one more reason that maintaining control of the Maxwell Institute is so important—and although it was briefly modish, it is not an accident that its brief flowering coincided with the rise of Mitt Romney, who has thankfully exited right from the stage (despite the insistence of his conservative detractors that he exited left). Yet, OUP has dozens and dozens of Mormon-themed books which seem to have academic relevance only to people already interested in Mormoniana. Unfortunately, since there really isn't much of a presence of "Mormon Studies" in academia more broadly, that means mostly non-academics. OUP hit a goldmine with a captive market of Mormon intellectual-types starved for a sense of respectability and something more interesting than the GA drivel that Desert Book peddles.

(insert sound of cash registers: ka-ching, ka-ching, ka-ching $ $ $ $ $)
"As to any slivers of light or any particles of darkness of the past, we forget about them."

—B. Redd McConkie
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Re: Mormon Studies or Mormon Hobbies?

Post by _Maksutov »

Symmachus, for such a brilliant guy, you are just a little bit naïve. But don't change. :lol:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Symmachus
_Emeritus

Post by _Symmachus »

Maksutov wrote:Symmachus, for such a brilliant guy, you are just a little bit naïve. But don't change. :lol:

I am quite certain I'm a guy, but I don't know if I am any of those other things. Other than "World Classics," OUP doesn't generally go in for popularization (Yale UP, on the other hand...), so I admit I am shocked. But what makes it weird is that they are not marketing this as popularization but as traditional OUP academic fare. It would be one thing if they were publishing $15 paperbacks, but that's not what they're doing.

And while I'm quite aware that academic publishing is a racket that feeds on the poverty of graduate students and the obsessions of academic librarians whose taste and understanding of what it is important is as limited as their budgets, I think what OUP is doing with the Mormon stuff is just weird. It's obviously a marketing scheme, but I wonder if the younger generation of Mormon scholars, who otherwise strike me as being very idealistic, see this for the marketing ploy it is or see it as confirmation they so eagerly seek that Mormon Studies is a genuine academic topic of interest rather than the weekend hobby for doctors, dentists, and other upper-middle class (mostly male) Mormons that it actually is.
"As to any slivers of light or any particles of darkness of the past, we forget about them."

—B. Redd McConkie
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

That's fascinating Symmachus. The apologists have really pressed the Oxford angle over the years but I didn't realize there were so many LDS books of such a wide variety, which certainly undercuts apologetic works having any special status.

Maybe somebody knows a guy who knows a guy, and a foot was in the door? Maybe the first book was a bit of negotiation but went smooth, and then it was a lot of word of mouth and referrals?

I thought I read a statement from some Oxford guy when the Turley book came out saying that it was a honor for their "small press". I just looked for the statement but couldn't find it -- but maybe someone else remembers it. If true, then maybe the press capacity is about right for the Mormon Studies crowd and so as odd as the arrangement might seem, it's a triumph of the free market: I've got 40 people who want hot dogs and you've got a hot-dog maker that runs about 40 dogs over a lunch hour. If your hot dog maker runs 60 then it's a sub-optimal arrangement for you.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_hans castorp
_Emeritus

Post by _hans castorp »

I am a veteran of the Press, though my time with them was thirty-odd years ago. They didn't have a Mormon list then; the only Mormon-ish title I can recall is Larry Foster's Religion and Sexuality (I wrote the flap copy for that one).

The current executive religion editor has been a friend of mine for many years. I sometimes like to think that I may have turned her a bit in that direction. Back when she was an editorial assistant and I was a copywriter, we liked to look through the office copy of Sunstone. A mutual friend of ours also had an interest in Mormonism, and we often talked about it.

As I recall, the first Mormon title my editor friend acquired was Philip Barlow's Mormonism and the Bible, which, aside from being an excellent book, was part of a series OUP was doing on the Bible in America. After that, my friend developed her Mormon contacts, and the rest is history.

Mormon titles do very well for Oxford. The Turley book was a blockbuster by OUP standards.
Blog: The Use of Talking

"Found him to be the village explainer. Very useful if you happen to be a village; if not, not." --Gertrude Stein
_RedJacket
_Emeritus

Post by _RedJacket »

Gadianton wrote:That's fascinating Symmachus. The apologists have really pressed the Oxford angle over the years but I didn't realize there were so many LDS books of such a wide variety, which certainly undercuts apologetic works having any special status.

Maybe somebody knows a guy who knows a guy, and a foot was in the door? Maybe the first book was a bit of negotiation but went smooth, and then it was a lot of word of mouth and referrals?

I thought I read a statement from some Oxford guy when the Turley book came out saying that it was a honor for their "small press". I just looked for the statement but couldn't find it -- but maybe someone else remembers it. If true, then maybe the press capacity is about right for the Mormon Studies crowd and so as odd as the arrangement might seem, it's a triumph of the free market: I've got 40 people who want hot dogs and you've got a hot-dog maker that runs about 40 dogs over a lunch hour. If your hot dog maker runs 60 then it's a sub-optimal arrangement for you.

The quote about the small press was on wikipedia and it went as follows:

Demand for the book exceeded the anticipations of its publisher, Oxford University Press. The first printing sold out before the release date, and it has since gone through several more printings. It was Oxford's top sale through Amazon.com for two months and Oxford's fastest-selling book over the last few years, selling 44,000 copies in the first two months. It received positive critical reaction and picked up by the History Book Club and the Military Book Club, though most sales were limited to Utah. Oxford considered it "a big best-seller" for its "smaller press" with conservative print runs.

Given the explanation on Wikipedia I can see why OUP were over the moon and were more than happy to produce as many Mormon books as they can. I think Deseret News has taken over the Mormon times or changed the website which is why the old link doesn't appear to work.