Missionary in Costa Rica dies in his sleep.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_The Erotic Apologist
_Emeritus

Re: Missionary in Costa Rica dies in his sleep.

Post by _The Erotic Apologist »

Servant wrote:God is, therefore, a tripersonal center of Being. People make this so hard - God didn't.

Question: "What's a giraffe?"
Answer: "A horse designed by a committee."

Question: "What's the Trinity?"
Answer: "A god designed by a committee."
Surprise, surprise, there is no divine mandate for the Church to discuss and portray its history accurately.
--Yahoo Bot

I pray thee, sir, forgive me for the mess. And whether I shot first, I'll not confess.
--Han Solo, from William Shakespeare's Star Wars
_Corpsegrinder
_Emeritus

Post by _Corpsegrinder »

The Erotic Apologist wrote:
Servant wrote:The question I was replying to was do people in cults go to hell, or something like that. That was a cheap shot aimed at me, I think ("why should you care about this young man, after all he was in a cult"). It was made by that "erotic" guy I think.
If you're going to quote me, please do so accurately. Or do you disagree that purposely misquoting someone is inherently dishonest?

Do you, like littlenipper, believe Christians must sometimes tell lies in order to spread their gospel?

Servant wrote:It was made by that "erotic" guy I think (I have him on ignore).

Be careful, Servant. People might think you're in the habit of running away from legitimate questions.
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

Themis wrote:
Gunnar wrote:Perhaps so, but I doubt that, all things considered, that there is a really significant safety bonus even for active Mormon youth who stay home vs. most of those who go on missions. Those who go to the more impoverished third world countries on missions probably are at greater risk than those who stay at home, however.

It would be interesting to look at any data, but I suspect missionaries as a whole are in a safer environment then recently returned missionaries. Sure they can spend some time in risky areas, but most spend there day doing less risky activities. At home I drove a lot more and on high speed roads. I went climbing, sky diving and other activities missionaries were not allowed to do. I didn't ride my bike as often and especially not on major roadways, so that could make some difference.

Good points! Obviously, even active, faithful Mormon youth who don't wind up going on missions are freer to engage in potentially risky activities that are forbidden to missionaries.

It's unfortunate for this missionary, but I suspect if it's something like his heart, it may have occurred wherever he was.

No argument with that!
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Servant
_Emeritus

Post by _Servant »

Runtu wrote:
Servant wrote:As for the issue, "do Mormons go to Hell?" Well, if they deny the Biblical God's revelation of Himself, and the Incarnation of the Word (made flesh), Jesus Christ, then they choose to deny the salvation God has offered them.

Hmmm. I don't know any Mormons who deny that, so maybe they won't go to hell. Who knows?

Thank you for respecting my privacy, but I have a bad history of doing too much public soul-searching, with predictably bad results.

Mormons deny the Incarnation of God as Jesus Christ.
_The Erotic Apologist
_Emeritus

Servant wrote:Mormons deny the Incarnation of God as Jesus Christ.

That just means they go to Mormon heaven instead of Christian heaven.
Surprise, surprise, there is no divine mandate for the Church to discuss and portray its history accurately.
--Yahoo Bot

I pray thee, sir, forgive me for the mess. And whether I shot first, I'll not confess.
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

Corpsegrinder wrote:
Be careful, Servant. People might think you're in the habit of running away from legitimate questions.

Hey CG,

How have you been?

Looks as though Servant was annoying enough to elicit a comment from you.

Welcome back.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Servant wrote:Mormons deny the Incarnation of God as Jesus Christ.

Says you.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_The Erotic Apologist
_Emeritus

DrW wrote:
Corpsegrinder wrote:

Hey CG,

How have you been?

Welcome back.

Well...um...I've been here all along. I normally post under The Erotic Apologist, now. But it makes me feel good that you remember me with such fondness. :smile:

I stopped using Corpsegrinder because a couple of the believing members found it offensive. They thought it referred to the grinding of corpses, which apparently has something to do with Voodoo. And besides, The Erotic Apologist is pretty much the all-time greatest avatar ever invented.
--Yahoo Bot

_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

The Erotic Apologist wrote:
DrW wrote:Hey CG,

How have you been?

Welcome back.

Well...um...I've been here all along. I normally post under The Erotic Apologist, now. But it makes me feel good that you remember me with such fondness. :smile:

I stopped using Corpsegrinder because a couple of the believing members found it offensive. They thought it referred to the grinding of corpses, which apparently has something to do with Voodoo. And besides, The Erotic Apologist is pretty much the all-time greatest avatar ever invented.

Yep. Had a definite affinity for ol' CG - in no small part because he had served his country, stepped in to help now and then, and we saw eye to eye on a number of other issues as well.

Must admit that I would have never tumbled to the fact that you and CG were one in the same. Thanks for setting me straight.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:49 am, edited 4 times in total.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_The Erotic Apologist
_Emeritus

DrW wrote:Yep. Had a definite affinity for ol' CG - in no small part because he had served his country, stepped in to help now and then, and we saw eye to eye on a number of other issues as well.

Must admit that I would have never tumbled to the fact that you and CG were one in the same. Thanks for setting me straight.

Thanks, DrW! I appreciate the kind words.

Yeah, I'm like herpes. You can't get rid of me.
--Yahoo Bot