Holland threatens to hunt down inactive RM's....

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Holland threatens to hunt down inactive RM's....

Post by _I have a question »

Then he gave probably one of the most aggressive, loving, sincere, and spiritual instructions I have ever heard given. He didn’t stand at the pulpit, but he walked around the chapel, yelling, making jokes, and staring us down in the eye, all in the most Christlike way possible. It was amazing, and the Spirit was so strong in that room. He just told us that he “gets so fired up about these things” because of his love for missionary work and the change it has made in his life. From the way he described it, he came out on his mission in the same mindset that I and most missionaries do, scared and unprepared. But it has forever changed his life.
I’d just like to share some insights from that meeting.
He said (and in all of these I am paraphrasing and trying to quote at my best) “Can you imagine an organization or a government that puts their future in the hands of 18-25 year old young men and women?….We expect you to save the church!”
He said “You are engaged in the Salvation of a Human Soul. It is the most important thing you will ever do.” And he made it clear that this is the most important thing we will ever do in our life.
He also warned us, “Don’t you dare leave this gospel after your mission!! If you do, I’ll hunt ya, I’ll find ya!” haha it was quite funny the way he said it.

https://elderskylarmccraystarr.wordpres ... r-holland/
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_just me
_Emeritus

Re: Holland threatens to hunt down inactive RM's....

Post by _just me »

Lol
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

We expect you to save the church!

If this is a direct quote... yikes.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Mormonicious
_Emeritus

Post by _Mormonicious »

I have a question wrote:
Then he gave probably one of the most aggressive, loving, sincere, and spiritual instructions I have ever heard given. He didn’t stand at the pulpit, but he walked around the chapel, yelling, making jokes, and staring us down in the eye, all in the most Christlike way possible. It was amazing, and the Spirit was so strong in that room. He just told us that he “gets so fired up about these things” because of his love for missionary work and the change it has made in his life. From the way he described it, he came out on his mission in the same mindset that I and most missionaries do, scared and unprepared. But it has forever changed his life.
I’d just like to share some insights from that meeting.
He said (and in all of these I am paraphrasing and trying to quote at my best) “Can you imagine an organization or a government that puts their future in the hands of 18-25 year old young men and women?….We expect you to save the church!”
He said “You are engaged in the Salvation of a Human Soul. It is the most important thing you will ever do.” And he made it clear that this is the most important thing we will ever do in our life.
He also warned us, “Don’t you dare leave this gospel after your mission!! If you do, I’ll hunt ya, I’ll find ya!” haha it was quite funny the way he said it.

https://elderskylarmccraystarr.wordpres ... r-holland/

Where do I send my Address to the Stupid Ass. I would love to have him ". . . hunt . . ." down and ". . . . find . . " me.

First question I'll ask him is "I've been damned little girls and other Men's wives, just like Horny Holy Joe, when will you be calling me to the First Quorum of Seventies?"
Revelation 2:17 . . give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it. Thank Google GOD for her son eBay, you can now have life eternal with laser engraving. . oh, and a seer stone and save 10% of your life's earning as a bonus. See you in Mormon man god Heaven Bitches!!. Bring on the Virgins
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

An organization that puts it future in the hands of 18-25 year olds.....?

Hmm mm

Every military in the world?
Pest control Salesforce?
Home alarm Salesforce?

How many more to make the full set... when they start putting the youngsters in charge, and not middle aged successful folk, his analogy might mean something. Til then, they are like every other military and door to door sales Co on the planet.

Holland is a dodo.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_cinepro
_Emeritus

Post by _cinepro »

He spoke to my mission in 1994, and it was just as memorable. In smaller settings like that, he can be a very engaging speaker. It's interesting that he acknowledged the possibility of some of them leaving the Church after their missions.
_Enzo the Baker
_Emeritus

Post by _Enzo the Baker »

SteelHead wrote:An organization that puts it future in the hands of 18-25 year olds.....?

Hmm mm

Every military in the world?
Pest control Salesforce?
Home alarm Salesforce?

How many more to make the full set... when they start putting the youngsters in charge, and not middle aged successful folk, his analogy might mean something. Til then, they are like every other military and door to door sales Co on the planet.

Holland is a dodo.

Hollowland is not a dodo...he's read a few books.
_Mayan Elephant
_Emeritus

Post by _Mayan Elephant »

That is a fairly standard missionary conference pitch. It was the same 25 years ago when nelson, didier, choules and a few other white guys made the pitch to my mission.

The pitch to mission presidents is not very different.

And the pitch from every apostle visiting the mtc is about the same.
"Rocks don't speak for themselves" is an unfortunate phrase to use in defense of a book produced by a rock actually 'speaking' for itself... (I have a Question, 5.15.15)
_nevazhno
_Emeritus

Post by _nevazhno »

I have a question wrote:

Does he really have that much time on his hands? I mean, there are quite a few of us.
_badseed
_Emeritus

Post by _badseed »

cinepro wrote:He spoke to my mission in 1994, and it was just as memorable. In smaller settings like that, he can be a very engaging speaker. It's interesting that he acknowledged the possibility of some of them leaving the Church after their missions.

Right. I thought also the "We expect you to save the church" line...if that's a direct quote.. was interesting. I've never seen any admission that the Church does now or will need saving.
Crawling around the evidence in order to maintain a testimony of the Book of Mormon.

http://www.ldsrevelations.com/blog