ABC vs LDS & KTVX re RMs

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

ABC vs LDS & KTVX re RMs

Post by _Maksutov »

http://www.sltrib.com/entertainment/299 ... -offending
Re: ABC television series "Quantico"

From the article:

KTVX General Manager Richard Doutre Jones has been lobbying ABC to make changes to the episode since the storyline was first reported in The Salt Lake Tribune on June 23. ABC insists it could not reshoot the scene in question because the actor has been unavailable.

One scene of the character putting on his pants over his garments has been eliminated, but several seconds of the character in his garments remain.

An aerial shot of the Salt Lake Temple has been added to the pilot, along with a scene of Packer bidding farewell to his friends at church.

"We also have some concerns, not just about showing the character in his garments," Jones said, "but also about the back story, which talks about actions he did on his mission."

A subplot involving that Mormon character remains unchanged. It is revealed that Packer committed serious transgressions while he was an LDS missionary in Malawi — transgressions that not only would have resulted in his quick ex-communication, but also criminal charges.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_gramps
_Emeritus

Re: ABC vs LDS & KTVX re RMs

Post by _gramps »

Maybe dealing in Malawi Gold?

I can't imagine what else he may have been involved in. ;)
I detest my loose style and my libertine sentiments. I thank God, who has removed from my eyes the veil...
Adrian Beverland
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

gramps wrote:Maybe dealing in Malawi Gold?

I can't imagine what else he may have been involved in. ;)

I wonder if they would have a problem with airing the celebrated movie "Advise and Consent" where LDS Senator "Brigham Anderson" struggles with a gay relationship from his past.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Equality
_Emeritus

Post by _Equality »

Many Mormons do have a fascist impulse, don't they?
"The Church is authoritarian, tribal, provincial, and founded on a loosely biblical racist frontier sex cult."--Juggler Vain
"The lds church is the Amway of religions. Even with all the soap they sell, they still manage to come away smelling dirty."--Some Schmo
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

ABC granted KTVX the right to not show that episode, however, they have decided to show it with the explicit warning that it inaccurately portrays Mormons and their ceremonies. It would be good if they also added that members should give an extra generous tithe this month to make up for this egregious offense by the ABC network.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Polygamy-Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy-Porter »

Interesting name for the Mormon character...

Eric Packer (a Mormon with a troubled past)
New name: Boaz
The most viewed "ignored" poster in Shady Acres® !
_suniluni2
_Emeritus

Post by _suniluni2 »

From the article:
KTVX will air an announcement from Jones just before "Quantico" airs Sunday, warning viewers that "there is a small portion in this first episode only, which presents an inaccurate, and to some, offensive portrayal of the LDS faith."

Was it just the scene of someone with their garments that some are saying is offensive? I don't really see how that's offensive or inaccurate. Especially if the person is just wearing them.