The obvious question

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Re: The obvious question

Post by _consiglieri »

I listened to a podcast yesterday about how a SLC lawyer was certain the Church foresaw the fallout from this and were willing to take the fallout as an acceptable cost.

I disagree.

History is rife with circumstances where otherwise intelligent people did something that caused a fallout completely unexpected and uncalculated.

Pearl Harbor comes to mind.
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Sammy Jankins
_Emeritus

Post by _Sammy Jankins »

just me wrote:False dichotomy. There are plenty of choices other than inspired or stupid.

I'd like to point out that otherwise smart people do dumb stuff and make mistakes all the time.

Saying the only choices are inspired or stupid puts the church in a corner when it comes to the black priesthood/temple ban. I guess MG would agree that one falls under the stupid category. Right? Does that mean every leader under that evil policy was not at all smart?

What's funny about the dichotomy is that it is basically saying that if the policy isn't inspired then it should be regarded as stupid. Outside of revelation, it can only be logically and rationally described as stupid.
Doesn't that speak volumes about the policy? One can't argue for it on it's own merits so the only fallback is to say that God wants it.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

consiglieri wrote:I listened to a podcast yesterday about how a Salt Lake City lawyer was certain the Church foresaw the fallout from this and were willing to take the fallout as an acceptable cost.

I disagree.

History is rife with circumstances where otherwise intelligent people did something that caused a fallout completely unexpected and uncalculated.

Pearl Harbor comes to mind.

I don't think we'll ever know what they were thinking or whether they foresaw what would happen. Either way, I've never seen anything like this in my 51 years in the church. I go back and forth on this: either they really are that clueless, or this is a manufactured crisis intended to simultaneously sift out a few tares while reinvigorating the loyalty and persecution complex of a lot of people.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_just me
_Emeritus

Post by _just me »

Runtu wrote: or this is a manufactured crisis intended to simultaneously sift out a few tares while reinvigorating the loyalty and persecution complex of a lot of people.

Which, in my mind, would make them horrible, horrible human beings. I hesitate to use the "E" word.
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

just me wrote:Which, in my mind, would make them horrible, horrible human beings. I hesitate to use the "E" word.

There are plenty of people who are almost joyful that this policy has had a sifting effect. I don't hesitate: rejoicing at another's loss of faith is evil, as is hurting families to sift out the weak. Full stop.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

mentalgymnast wrote:They either believe that they have no choice because they think that this policy is the mind and will of God...or they are stupid.

Those two things are not mutually exclusive.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

MG is right, I think.

Elder Holland had to sign off on this policy.

And we all know he is not a dodo.
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_annie
_Emeritus

Post by _annie »

I don't know whose idea it was, but they're in a bit of a tight spot publicity-wise at the moment. I've been thinking that one way out of it would be to emulate Moses:

1. Tear up this new policy (maybe literally - that would make a nice moment on TV).

2. Blame the members for its failure: they weren't ready to do things the Lord's way.

3. As a result of the members' failure to sustain the prophet, announce that the Lord has revealed a replacement policy or a "lower law."

4. Reveal the watered-down version of the policy.

5. State that once the members can demonstrate exact obedience and absolute faith in their leaders (ie. when they have stopped wandering in the wilderness) the Lord will deign to issue further edicts.
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Water Dog wrote:So your argument is, they must be right, or led by God on this matter, because, they aren't stupid? How do you know they aren't stupid? Stupid in what way? Is Obama stupid? Is Boehner stupid? Is Bernie stupid? Is Trump stupid? Was Hillary stupid with her email server? Does that decision make her stupid? Was Carli Fiorina a stupid person when she saddled HP with Compaq? Did that bad decision make her stupid? Perhaps Pope Francis is stupid to preach tolerance? Was going in Iraq a mistake? President Hinckley supported it. Did his support make him stupid?

Can otherwise educated and intelligent people not do very stupid things? Yeah, there are some impressive people in leadership that seem pretty smart, they have degrees from good schools and whatnot. There are people with backgrounds every bit as impressive who are on this forum right now bitching about the church.

Even if the policy itself is brilliant, was it smart for them to enact it the way they did? Might they have tempered things with some explanation beforehand? You say they have good reasons for this. Ok, what are those reasons? Why are they allowing people to go crazy on blogs and discussion forums? Why aren't they explaining themselves? If they came before the general membership, humbly, and said, "look, this is really hard, we don't want to do this, but because of X, Y, and Z we feel backed into a corner, etc." things would be totally different right now. If this were the least bad of nothing but bad options, I'd defend them. For example, if this really was about legally protecting the church, if there truly was a blatantly unconstitutional possibility of the government forcing the church to comply, I'd totally be on the church's side with this.

I have no doubt that the leaders think they are doing the right thing. I don't care. They also thought they were doing the right thing with banning blacks from the church and letting that persist until decades after the civil rights movement. Politicians that I vehemently disagree with also think they are doing the right thing.

The job of the apostles is to bring souls unto Christ. That's it. Not play politics or infantilize people. Not act like it knows what's best for people and micromanage their existence. How does this policy help bring anybody to Christ? And I ask that question from the perspective of the church that considers homosexuality a particularly grievous sin. How does this policy help those who, for whatever reason, struggle with homosexuality come to Christ? Leadership is something natural. You don't need to guilt people or compel them through fear or rules. People naturally gravitate towards good leadership. It inspires them to be better. You want to be like that guy. Nothing about this is inspiring.

Excellent post. The policy seems based on fear and division, not on inspiring anyone to anything, and certainly not on inviting people to come unto Christ.
Runtu's Rincón

_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

MG's response seems to be.

"I believe in them so they can't be stupid because that would make me stupid and I'm not stupid because I believe in them therefore they aren't stupid."
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')