Regrets over resigning?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Tobin
_Emeritus

Re: Regrets over resigning?

Post by _Tobin »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:I saw and had a conversation with Jesus Christ. He literally sat down on my couch when I was submitting my resignation letter, and asked me why I was leaving his Church. I explained that the Church wasn't what it claimed to be, and showed him various websites around the Interwebs.

He got a bit of a constipated look on his face, and mumbled something about talking to Elder Packer to straighten this out.

And * poof * he was gone.

You'll note He didn't try to talk me out of it.

- Doc
How very thoughtful of him, but I'm surprised you didn't just ask the Q12 to make you prophet. You seem to have seen and heard more from God than the current LDS prophet has.
"You lack vision, but I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night.... Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see. My God, it'll be beautiful." -- Judge Doom
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Tobin wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:I saw and had a conversation with Jesus Christ. He literally sat down on my couch when I was submitting my resignation letter, and asked me why I was leaving his Church. I explained that the Church wasn't what it claimed to be, and showed him various websites around the Interwebs.

He got a bit of a constipated look on his face, and mumbled something about talking to Elder Packer to straighten this out.

And * poof * he was gone.

You'll note He didn't try to talk me out of it.

- Doc
How very thoughtful of him, but I'm surprised you didn't just ask the Q12 to make you prophet. You seem to have seen and heard more from God than the current LDS prophet has.

I did. I actually sent in a letter, and let them know I saw and conversed with Jesus.

They declined.

* shrugs *

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Tobin
_Emeritus

Post by _Tobin »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:I did. I actually sent in a letter, and let them know I saw and conversed with Jesus.

They declined.

* shrugs *

- Doc
Given that God is your pal, I think they'll change their opinion. I can't wait to sustain you at the next conference.
"You lack vision, but I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night.... Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see. My God, it'll be beautiful." -- Judge Doom
_annie
_Emeritus

Post by _annie »

My husband and I resigned together and we had our children's names removed, too. I found the way church behaved in respect to proposition 8 devastating. For me, it was the icing on the crap cake. Up until that point I had been telling myself that, irrespective of the truth claims, the church was a good place to bring up children and experience the benefits of community.

I live in a European country where gay marriage is legal. My parents are very active in the church (my dad has been a Bishop and SP) and they have, in the past, attended the gay wedding ceremonies of non-member friends. I know they are unhappy with the new policy. It doesn't sit well socially or politically in a European context. But they believe in the church, so they will suck it up.

I don't regret resigning - the introduction of the new policy makes me thoroughly glad that I did it 6 years ago.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

I just had my weekly chat with God this morning, and he told me that he really doesn't want us to talk to trolls.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Chap wrote:I just had my weekly chat with God this morning, and he told me that he really doesn't want us to talk to trolls.

Well now I know god exists, because he mentioned the same thing to me the other day.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I have to wonder about the psychological effect resigning has on faithful family. My ex-MIL is two-faced bitch. Literally always looking for a reason to be unhappy kind of woman. Always quietly talking crap about those around her. Gegh. Exhausting. She's never had to work a day in her life, has lived in some fantastic homes and locations thanks to her husbands efforts, and is still one of the unhappiest assholes I've ever met.

However, my oldest recently married, and she was there. I caught her just staring at me a few times. She had a certain look. It wasn't really disdain, but I swear to god it was almost envious. As you know, I'm not one for circlejerking, so I don't think she thinking well of me, but I have to wonder... Was she envious I've been living life on my own terms instead of complying with the Church's moors and values? I don't know.

I wonder how many Mo's who choose to stick it out are the ones filled with regret?

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

Runtu wrote:
Tobin wrote:I feel regret because those who resign do as they wish, but never thought to seek and do what the Lord wishes. Such is the state of apostasy within the hearts of those that once claimed to be Mormons.

How do you know people haven't sought to do what the Lord wishes? I can't speak for anyone else, but my choice to leave was a result of a direct answer to prayer.

Maybe you should stop pretending you know what other people have experienced. Makes you look like a judgmental prick.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

Guys---Please do yourselves the lovely favor I did, and put Tobin on Ignore. It makes things so much nicer. Trust me. :biggrin:

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

Dr. Shades wrote:Runtu, I hope you can forgive me for the comments I'm about to make, but here goes:

Runtu wrote:An American couple who lived in Bolivia when I was a missionary and took care of us when we were sick or needed something; they have a gay son, and they had until now believed that the church could be a loving, welcoming place for their son.

First, what on Earth were they smoking? Second, what hard evidence did they have for that fanciful notion?

And I feel a little stupid for not realizing until now that the church was capable of deliberately hurting people, even targeting children, to further its aims.

I guess this means you'd never heard of Helen Mar Kimball?

It's true that Helen Mar Kimball was a child, but she wasn't a baby! We're talking about denying simple baby blessings and baptisms for 8 year olds here. I have a feeling that is what Runtu was referring to. I see a significant difference. Both are bad...but the most recent policy is even worse.