Regrets over resigning?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Re: Regrets over resigning?

Post by _harmony »

Tobin wrote:
Gunnar wrote:So why are you continuing to make a fool of yourself by arguing the point? Isn't this exactly what a troll does?
I'm not the one claiming the LDS Church is in apostasy because of this policy announcement. It would help immensely if you tried to follow the conversation.

The church was in apostacy long before this latest announcement.
(Nevo, Jan 23) And the Melchizedek Priesthood may not have been restored until the summer of 1830, several months after the organization of the Church.
_Tobin
_Emeritus

Post by _Tobin »

harmony wrote:The church was in apostacy long before this latest announcement.
No it wasn't. For the LDS Church to be in apostasy, it had to have been true at some point. When was the LDS Church the one and only true church of God?
"You lack vision, but I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night.... Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see. My God, it'll be beautiful." -- Judge Doom
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Tobin wrote:
harmony wrote:The church was in apostacy long before this latest announcement.
No it wasn't. For the LDS Church to be in apostasy, it had to have been true at some point. When was the LDS Church the one and only true church of God?

Ah, OK. Now I see the problem. My definition of apostasy is somewhat idiosyncratic. It is not absolute or contingent upon the definition of one true church. I don't believe in any such thing, in the first place. For me apostasy means that the Church has so violated the principles that made it worthwhile, in my view, that I can't support it any longer. I assume, however, that these principles overlap fairly coextensively with what made the Church "true" for likeminded people of my generation.

In any case, what the Church went through before we came along is not theologically important to us in the same way the contemporary Church is. So, the changes of the past may help us understand the present, but we are not obliged to judge the Church, or our place in it, based on those changes, in my opinion.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist