Daniel C. Peterson's Struggle With Honesty and Integrity.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Daniel C. Peterson's Struggle With Honesty and Integrity.

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

IHAQ and Lemmie's recent threads on DCP and Gloria Steinhem both highlight the huge problem DCP has with honesty. Unfortunately, there is ample evidence to make a good case that DCP lies so frequently he could be considered pathological.

Thanks to the internet, there is a meticulous record of his behavior for all to see. Here are just a few of the numerous struggles DCP has had with honesty/integrity:

-DCP representing that "absolutely none, not a dime -- comes from my apologetic undertakings" and then demanding his usual payment from Dr. Gerald Bradford for his work as editor;

-Lying about Professor Robert Ritner and the reasons he removed himself from John Gee's dissertation committee (which ultimately resulted in Professor Ritner telling DCP to cease or he would take legal action);

-DCP affirming repeatedly that his emailing of the link to Eric's stepdad was completely ethical, on the grounds that DCP himself would have wanted to be emailed a link;

-Second Watson Letter;

-Professor Jorgensen pointing out that DCP fabricated his "implausible tale" of sending the RLDS First Presidency a letter;

-DCP's deceptive and extremely serious violation of academic integrity in misquoting Camus;

-DCP's repeated use of the Spencer Lake horse bones as evidence (which has long been determined to have been a fraud/hoax) for the Book of Mormon account;

-Dr. Peterson's use of the Bat Creek Stone to argue for Book of Mormon evidence;

-Misusing and unauthorized access of a Church database for his own personal use;

-Telling Blair Hodges to "go to hell" and then misrepresenting the event; and

-etc, etc, etc, etc, and etc.

Daniel C. Peterson's life is truly a cautionary tale of the depths one can descend when attempting to defend the faith.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_grindael
_Emeritus

Re: Daniel C. Peterson's Struggle With Honesty and Integrity

Post by _grindael »

Was he the one who claimed that Joseph Smith as a youth never really read the Bible?
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

grindael wrote:Was he the one who claimed that Joseph Smith as a youth never really read the Bible?

Yes indeed.

Daniel C. Peterson wrote:There is no evidence at all that Joseph Smith did any scholarly research, or even that he read very much, before the Book of Mormon appeared. In fact, he may not even have owned a Bible at the time of translation.

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2000/01/moun ... n?lang=eng
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

DCP only cares about feeding his fat belly with treats. He doesn't care about truth and right. He'd sell his soul for a dozen donuts.

_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

ah but look at his blog picture ... such a wise, understanding pose, looking downward so wise and did I mention understanding?
_Racer
_Emeritus

Post by _Racer »

When one's career involves immersing themselves in fantastical tales, is it any wonder that one would begin spinning their own fantastical tales?
Tapirs... Yeah... That's the ticket!
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Racer wrote:When one's career involves immersing themselves in fantastical tales, is it any wonder that one would begin spinning their own fantastical tales?

There is something inherently dishonest about Mopology. That inherent dishonesty inevitably spills over into the Mopologists' personal lives.

Hopefully, the younger generation can learn from these cautionary tales and clearly see the dangers of defending one's faith at all costs.

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

Dan is the only person I've encountered who writes a blog about a religious topic and tags it with where ever in the world he is, that has no relationship to the post.

Ex:
Blah blah religious blather.

Posted from Seattle

Are we supposed to be impressed by his jetsetting, Rockstar lifestyle?
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_Arrakis
_Emeritus

Post by _Arrakis »

SteelHead wrote:Dan is the only person I've encountered who writes a blog about a religious topic and tags it with where ever in the world he is, that has no relationship to the post.

Ex:
Blah blah religious blather.

Posted from Seattle

I noticed that as well and it's comical. If he's not adding the tag line, he throws it in the body of the blog post.
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

SteelHead wrote:Dan is the only person I've encountered who writes a blog about a religious topic and tags it with where ever in the world he is, that has no relationship to the post.

This type of behavior tends to show just how insecure DCP is. In his mind, I'm sure he feels some people might be impressed or respect him.

It's truly embarrassing.

Posted from SLC, UT.

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014