On Going Inactive

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

On Going Inactive

Post by _consiglieri »

The last time my wife and I attended church was the first week of July, 2014.

It has been almost a year and a half now.

Attending church had become too much of a spiritual ordeal for both of us, so we took the opportunity of our youngest leaving home to cease attending.

I have been surprised as to how silently we have been allowed to sink beneath the surface, leaving hardly a ripple behind.

The first time anybody from church contacted us was in a Christmas card last year from the wife of a former bishop, who wrote one line, "Where are you guys?"

The next time was a visit we had in March of this year, when the bishop dropped by with one of his counselors. Our bishop is a nice guy, and explained that the purpose of his visit was to ensure that we were still willing to pay the bill for the mission our youngest is planning.

For the first several months after we stopped attending, I remember checking my cell phone Saturday afternoon and again Sunday morning to see if anybody from church had contacted me wanting me to do something, or just to say hello.

Always the result was the same. No phone calls. No messages.

It isn't like I necessarily want people from church to be contacting me, or that I think it would make any difference in my decision to stop attending.

But I am surprised that, after 25-years in the same stake (and 20-years for my wife), being very active, holding many callings, there is so little in the way of outreach from those I knew and thought were my friends.

It has been a learning experience.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Markk
_Emeritus

Re: On Going Inactive

Post by _Markk »

consiglieri wrote:The last time my wife and I attended church was the first week of July, 2014.

It has been almost a year and a half now.

Attending church had become too much of a spiritual ordeal for both of us, so we took the opportunity of our youngest leaving home to cease attending.

I have been surprised as to how silently we have been allowed to sink beneath the surface, leaving hardly a ripple behind.

The first time anybody from church contacted us was in a Christmas card last year from the wife of a former bishop, who wrote one line, "Where are you guys?"

The next time was a visit we had in March of this year, when the bishop dropped by with one of his counselors. Our bishop is a nice guy, and explained that the purpose of his visit was to ensure that we were still willing to pay the bill for the mission our youngest is planning.

For the first several months after we stopped attending, I remember checking my cell phone Saturday afternoon and again Sunday morning to see if anybody from church had contacted me wanting me to do something, or just to say hello.

Always the result was the same. No phone calls. No messages.

It isn't like I necessarily want people from church to be contacting me, or that I think it would make any difference in my decision to stop attending.

But I am surprised that, after 25-years in the same stake (and 20-years for my wife), being very active, holding many callings, there is so little in the way of outreach from those I knew and thought were my friends.

It has been a learning experience.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

Curious, did you contact members that 'disappeared' when you were active?

Of your "friends," how many were friend beyond church that you actually hung out with? Did that stop?

The reason I ask is I went through the same thing and I found out the only thing I had in common with them was the church. I did play on a city league softball team with several members so we stayed in contact, but after we disbanded the team, we never really kept in touch except for a "hey bro" at the supermarket.

Except for the friends I actually grew up with in the church, and hung out with at school, got in trouble with, were in each others weddings etc. In other words real friends with real relationships beyond "the church?"
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

consiglieri wrote:The first time anybody from church contacted us was in a Christmas card last year from the wife of a former bishop, who wrote one line, "Where are you guys?"

I think that is very interesting. Given what you've reported about what you would say in church prior to going inactive, perhaps your ward/stake has assumed the reasons for your inactivity and perhaps accurately at what those assumed reasons are. The bishop did bring a counselor as a 'wing man' for the visit, and he asked about whether you were yet willing to foot the cost of your youngest's planned mission. Not, "Is there a reason you're not coming to church any more?" Instead he wanted to find out how far removed you might be, whether that would even extend to perhaps an unwillingness to pay for your youngest's mission.

If you were yet active, and the bishop came to your house to discuss the financial aspect of the mission, I suspect he might have come alone or asked to meet you in his office--alone. But fearing that they were walking into what might be a lion's den, they came in a pair.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

I'm not sure church members really know how to be friends. They're pretty good at being home teachers or visiting teachers, but friends? Not so much.
(Nevo, Jan 23) And the Melchizedek Priesthood may not have been restored until the summer of 1830, several months after the organization of the Church.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

harmony wrote:I'm not sure church members really know how to be friends. They're pretty good at being home teachers or visiting teachers, but friends? Not so much.

Bingo. When you have essentially every aspect of your life correlated you really don't know how to be outside those lines.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

harmony wrote:I'm not sure church members really know how to be friends. They're pretty good at being home teachers or visiting teachers, but friends? Not so much.

A good example of this is what Daniel C. Peterson recently did to Liz.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

My home teacher has gone out of his way over the years to build our friendship, even going so far as to tell the EQP that he should remain as my HT as I have made it clear I probably will not be willing to sit down with someone different. I consider him to be one of my best friends and he is primarily responsible for the friendship.

So for what it's worth, not all home teachers are just there for duty's sake.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

Members are in a catch 22. On the one hand, I remember exmos moaning and groaning about the church that never leaves them alone. And now we have the OP types who do leave members alone. I don't think that they know what to do because they are damned if they do or damned if they don't. Also, from knowing consig on both boards, I do not think that when he left, he gave them that loving feelin.
I intend to lay a foundation that will revolutionize the whole world.
Joseph Smith

We are “to feed the hungry, to clothe the naked, to provide for the widow, to dry up the tear of the orphan, to comfort the afflicted, whether in this church, or in any other, or in no church at all…”
Joseph Smith
_Mayan Elephant
_Emeritus

Post by _Mayan Elephant »

why me wrote:
Members are in a catch 22. On the one hand, I remember exmos moaning and groaning about the church that never leaves them alone. And now we have the OP types who do leave members alone. I don't think that they know what to do because they are damned if they do or damned if they don't. Also, from knowing consig on both boards, I do not think that when he left, he gave them that loving feelin.

the catch is because the relationship is contrived and based on beliefs not people.

real friendships are not subject to damning.
"Rocks don't speak for themselves" is an unfortunate phrase to use in defense of a book produced by a rock actually 'speaking' for itself... (I have a Question, 5.15.15)
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

I am sorry to hear this, consiglieri. I am Facebook friends with folks from my old ward--the one I attended as a kid up to the time I left for BYU. Some of them seem pretty confused by my posts. But, it is nice to know that they are still out there. I still love these folks. What can I say? They probably think I have gone off the deep end, but it doesn't bother me. I am also Facebook friends with a lady I taught as a missionary. We baptized her. She, too, does not understand me much either. Oh well. I think we all still love each other on one level, but bridging those huge gaps is hard for everyone. I don't vote Republican and I don't think God is behind the new policy excluding the kids of married gays from Church membership, so the gaps are not small.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist