Elder Anderson - Church experiencing explosive growth.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Elder Anderson - Church experiencing explosive growth.

Post by _I have a question »

With the explosive growth of the church and of missionary work across the world, he added, “the power of the marvelous work and a wonder is right before our eyes.”

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... tml?pg=all

Explosive growth?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_fetchface
_Emeritus

Re: Elder Anderson - Church experiencing explosive growth.

Post by _fetchface »

If I use my explosive imagination I can totally see what he is talking about.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My Blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Did he say this? Or is it Julie Dockstader Heaps' explosive vocabulary? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Looks like the Saints are still having trouble recording and reporting their leaders' speeches, er, sermons. Talks. Revelations. "Scripture." :biggrin:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

I have a question wrote:
With the explosive growth of the church and of missionary work across the world, he added, “the power of the marvelous work and a wonder is right before our eyes.”

Explosive growth?

I did hear that the LDS church has added two new members in the last year - so I'm thinking that this is probably just a typo by Elder Anderson.

Instead of "explosive growth" he probably meant to say "excited both."

Peace,
Ceeboo
_churchistrue
_Emeritus

Post by _churchistrue »

The April membership report should be exciting.
Sharing a view of non-historical/metaphorical "New Mormonism" on my blog http://www.churchistrue.com/
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

I have a question wrote:

Explosive growth?

If indeed there is an overall "explosive growth" going on, it seems as though Elder Anderson credits the Book of Mormon in being a major part of that growth. All those many years ago we had the Book of Mormon called the "keystone", and here we are...

One has to wonder what the church would look like today without the Book of Mormon. It's also interesting, at least to me, that the church and its missionaries keep putting the Book of Mormon out there, front and center, as the witnesss/scripture that testifies of Christ. And the book that will bring the Holy Spirit into the lives of those that spend time reading/pondering the messages in that book.

My guess is that there are a number of you folks here that are seriously wondering how much longer this approach of using the Book of Mormon as the keystone witness is going to work. :smile:

Regards,
MG
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

mentalgymnast wrote:
My guess is that there are a number of you folks here that are seriously wondering how much longer this approach of using the Book of Mormon as the keystone witness is going to work.

I suspect they regard it much as the Muslims hold up the Quran as the "keystone" of their religion and won't be giving that up anytime soon. Does it work? Sure, as long as there are people that believe such subjective experiences are real. That though, is the low ball (least important) of Mormon experiences according to Jo Smith. The high ball (and most important) is to have Jesus appear to you and make your calling and election sure. Notice they don't promote that, just the subjective feel good Book of Mormon experience. More people believe that UFO's are real than the Book of Mormon.
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

I have a question wrote:

Explosive growth?

MG wrote:If indeed there is an overall "explosive growth" going on, it seems as though Elder Anderson credits the Book of Mormon in being a major part of that growth. All those many years ago we had the Book of Mormon called the "keystone", and here we are...

One has to wonder what the church would look like today without the Book of Mormon. It's also interesting, at least to me, that the church and its missionaries keep putting the Book of Mormon out there, front and center, as the witnesss/scripture that testifies of Christ. And the book that will bring the Holy Spirit into the lives of those that spend time reading/pondering the messages in that book.

My guess is that there are a number of you folks here that are seriously wondering how much longer this approach of using the Book of Mormon as the keystone witness is going to work. :smile:

Regards,
MG

Well no, in my area missionaries don't use the Book of Mormon front and center. There is a big push to get recognized as similar to other Christian churches, and the Bible is pushed more. It seems to stem from an acknowledgement that the Book of Mormon is just too weird, and not valid as a scripture.

There is no explosive growth. It shouldn't surprise me any more that lds leadership lies about this, but it does surprise me that they think it's good PR to say things like this when the stats are available.

MG, could you look into that? it's more than I have time for but it sounds like you may have some insight. It would be interesting to see what you consider 'explosive growth'. It would be very interesting to see your evaluation of the Mormon process and the methodology used to arrive at such conclusions.

Thanking advance, my guess is many will be waiting with great interest for your full stats report. :biggrin:
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Lemmie wrote:There is no explosive growth.

MG, could you look into that? it's more than I have time for...

Me too.

Question...how would you know whether or not the Book of Mormon plays a major part in the conversion process?

Why should I believe you over Elder Anderson? :smile:

At Stake Conference this last weekend, Saturday night and Sunday morning, the theme was 'conversion'. There were quite a few people that pointed to the Book of Mormon as being their conversion and/or re-conversion tool.

Pardon me if I don't look to you as being any sort of a 'go to' in regards to the Book of Mormon being a tool of conversion. :smile:

Regards,
MG
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

grindael wrote:
mentalgymnast wrote:
My guess is that there are a number of you folks here that are seriously wondering how much longer this approach of using the Book of Mormon as the keystone witness is going to work.

I suspect they regard it much as the Muslims hold up the Quran as the "keystone" of their religion and won't be giving that up anytime soon. Does it work? Sure, as long as there are people that believe such subjective experiences are real.

Hey, we're in agreement here! :smile:

Regards,
MG