Bednar- No homosexual members of the Church

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Bednar- No homosexual members of the Church

Post by _I have a question »

“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_just me
_Emeritus

Re: Bednar- No homosexual members of the Church

Post by _just me »

Pretty amazing.
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~
_Lloyd Dobler
_Emeritus

Post by _Lloyd Dobler »

just me wrote:Pretty amazing.

Many years ago Robert Millet dropped this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zA-rZQB-xQ

Bednar must have been taking notes. His response is frightening, reckless and can only serve to further destroy a believing lds homosexuals will to live. Not only that but the guy looks freaking scary.
_Equality
_Emeritus

Post by _Equality »

Nice to see Bendar has so much in common with the former President of Iran, who claimed there were no gays in Iran:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF4pYQ_5obk
"The Church is authoritarian, tribal, provincial, and founded on a loosely biblical racist frontier sex cult."--Juggler Vain
"The lds church is the Amway of religions. Even with all the soap they sell, they still manage to come away smelling dirty."--Some Schmo
_just me
_Emeritus

Post by _just me »

I'm not sure what was better, when he compared being gay to being attractive yet shallow or when he compared it to being disabled.
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~
_fetchface
_Emeritus

Post by _fetchface »

Gaslighting, plain and simple. Instead of answering a very straightforward question, he is telling people that their reality is not valid. This is a very common tactic of abusers.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My Blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/
_I have a question
_Emeritus

In answering the question, Bendars opening sentence is:
"...but first I want to change the question."

In answering the question about homosexuality:
"Some people may be born with a body that is not fully functional..."

Oh. My. God.
It is worth bearing in mind that he gave this answer in the full knowledge of the spate of suicides of young gay Mormons.

Bednar's phrase "there are no homosexual members of the church" is pointing out that when a same sex attracted members of the church acts on that inclination then they are no longer to be considered members of the Church. It becomes an inacurrate label. On that same basis:
There are no adulterous members of the Church.
There are no alcoholic members of the Church.
There are no druggy members of the Church.
There are no fraudulent members of the Church.
And so on.

This is Mark E Peterson all over again.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_I have a question
_Emeritus

_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

I have a question wrote:In answering the question, Bendars opening sentence is:
"...but first I want to change the question."

In answering the question about homosexuality:
"Some people may be born with a body that is not fully functional..."

Oh. My. God.
It is worth bearing in mind that he gave this answer in the full knowledge of the spate of suicides of young gay Mormons.

Bednar's phrase "there are no homosexual members of the church" is pointing out that when a same sex attracted members of the church acts on that inclination then they are no longer to be considered members of the Church. It becomes an inacurrate label. On that same basis:
There are no adulterous members of the Church.
There are no alcoholic members of the Church.
There are no druggy members of the Church.
There are no fraudulent members of the Church.
And so on.

This is Mark E Peterson all over again.

There are, however, hypocritical members of the Church. Even unto to God's Apostles.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Another Mormon Moronic Moment (yep, that is redundant, I know).