Who is worse in your eyes?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Who is worse in your eyes?

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

Who do you find more dispicable? Joseph Smith or Brigham Young?

My vote is for Brigham Young because he was a sexist, racist, tyrannical asshole. I'll go into more detail after everyone else weighs in.

Thoughts, guys?
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Re: Who is worse in your eyes?

Post by _Tator »

Jesse Pinkman wrote:Who do you find more despicable? Joseph Smith or Brigham Young?
That is a tough decision.
Jesse Pinkman wrote:My vote is for Brigham Young because he was a sexist, racist, tyrannical asshole.
And Joseph Smith wasn't?
Jesse Pinkman wrote:I'll go into more detail after everyone else weighs in.

Thoughts, guys?

I can't decide.
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

Tator wrote:
Jesse Pinkman wrote:Who do you find more despicable? Joseph Smith or Brigham Young?
That is a tough decision.
Jesse Pinkman wrote:My vote is for Brigham Young because he was a sexist, racist, tyrannical asshole.
And Joseph Smith wasn't?
Jesse Pinkman wrote:I'll go into more detail after everyone else weighs in.

Thoughts, guys?

I can't decide.

Joseph didn't seem to be as tyrannical as Brigham. I could be wrong. Brigham dragged the saints out into a desert territory and then slapped all of his racist sexist views on all of them. They had nowhere to really go. At least, in Joseph's situation, the people had the option of banding with others not in the Church. Does that make sense?
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _Tator »

Tator wrote:And Joseph Smith wasn't?

Jesse Pinkman wrote:Joseph didn't seem to be as tyrannical as Brigham. I could be wrong. Brigham dragged the saints out into a desert territory and then slapped all of his racist sexist views on all of them. They had nowhere to really go. At least, in Joseph's situation, the people had the option of banding with others not in the Church. Does that make sense?

I was comparing their individual personalities. I think you are arguing a geographical setting. If the geography was switched would either of them been any different?
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Well, BY had a captive audience so to speak. Joseph Smith was tempered by virtue of being surrounded by non-Mormons. That said, one made himself a General while the other made himself a Governor. Read into that what you want. ;)

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Joseph.
(Nevo, Jan 23) And the Melchizedek Priesthood may not have been restored until the summer of 1830, several months after the organization of the Church.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Dallin Oaks.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Post by _Brackite »

It was Brigham Young. He was the main reason why it took so long to lift the Priesthood ban among blacks.

The prophets of the Lord have made several statements as to the operation of the principle. President Brigham Young said: "Why are so many of the inhabitants of the earth cursed with a skin of blackness? it comes in consequence of their fathers rejecting the power of the holy priesthood, and the Law of God. They will go down to death. And when all the rest of the children have received their blessings in the holy priesthood, then that curse will be removed from the seed of Cain, and they will then come up and possess the priesthood, and receive all the blessings which we now are entitled to."

http://web.archive.org/web/200406022100 ... al/dcpyle/
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter
_David A. Bednar
_Emeritus

Post by _David A. Bednar »

I'm offended by this OP. It makes me cry to view those on this board who have lost their testimonies and feel the need to denigrate the Lord's Prophets.

And Sister Bednar is very upset. She is going to bed early tonight, and that makes me upset as well.
Ladies, it's time for us to stop accommodating an environment of immodesty and jump out of the water before we get boiled alive by the seductive and evil influences that are a result of continued immodest dress.

My dear wife--Idaho 6th Stake Fireside
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

Can I pick both? They were both bad in different ways.

Joseph created a false religion and duped many people out of their money, lives and wives. He may have been the most successful con man in history. His con still goes on though the employment of 80,000 free missionaries and the donations of millions of people.

At Joseph's death, Brigham wrested control of the Church from his competitors, proclaimed himself a Prophet and moved his followers to a very remote part of Mexico (soon to be the Utah territories) to set up a theocratic kingdom with himself as ultimate ruler.

His practice of Blood Atonement and his claim of being the word of God insured that his will was obeyed in all things. He was an absolute despot.

It's hard to decide between the two. I've stated this analogy before. I see some interesting similarities with Lenin and Stalin. Lenin created the Soviet style of Communism and Stalin, through brutality and despotism created the Soviet Union.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.