3 missionaries hurt in Brussels attack

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

3 missionaries hurt in Brussels attack

Post by _Sanctorian »

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=38999050&nid=148&title=3-lds-missionaries-from-utah-injured-during-explosion-in-brussels-airport

I feel bad when I read stories like this. The poor missionaries put in harms way thinking they're selling something good not realizing it's all magic. I hope they recover and pray for all those affected by these attacks.
I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.
_Mary
_Emeritus

Re: 3 missionaries hurt in Brussels attack

Post by _Mary »

http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2 ... ve-updates

ISIS have claimed responsibility. :(
"It's a little like the Confederate Constitution guaranteeing the freedom to own slaves. Irony doesn't exist for bigots or fanatics." Maksutov
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

Hopefully all of those who were injured in the attacks will be able to make a full recovery.

Prayer for the victims could well make the person doing the praying feel a bit better about things. Unfortunately, it will be of no medical benefit to the injured - LDS or not.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_just me
_Emeritus

Post by _just me »

:cry: I hope for speedy recovery to all the survivors of this terrible attack.
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

I am sorry to hear of any innocent person being harmed in this way.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_pashaman
_Emeritus

Post by _pashaman »

Sanctorian wrote:http://www.ksl.com/?sid=38999050&nid=148&title=3-lds-missionaries-from-utah-injured-during-explosion-in-brussels-airport

I feel bad when I read stories like this. The poor missionaries put in harms way thinking they're selling something good not realizing it's all magic. I hope they recover and pray for all those affected by these attacks.

I understand where you are coming from. I really do. However, it's comments like these that just make our side look like a bunch of ass-hats.
They weren't "put" in harms way. They volunteered. Nobody forced them. And if they were encouraged to do so, then they were encouraged by people who have sincere beliefs. Plus, nobody thinks of anywhere in Europe as "harms way." It's just an asinine thing to say. If anything, my European mission was an essential part of my waking up from the Mormon (and American) indoctrination I was fed while growing up.
I don't always troll, but when I do, I troll the trolls.

┻━┻︵ \(°□°)/ ︵ ┻━┻
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

pashaman wrote:my European mission was an essential part of my waking up from the Mormon (and American) indoctrination I was fed while growing up.

This seems to be a fairly common consequence of an American serving an LDS mission, particularly a foreign one. While an LDS mission experience sets the LDS hook deeper in some, in many others it is the repellent to LDS/American exceptionalism. For the GAs it is hard to imagine--for each of them that served an LDS mission, it is a hook deepening experience. They cannot relate to those of us for whom it was a key repellent. So until the time when the collateral damage to LDS activity grows further among RMs, I doubt that the GAs will perceive broad-based mission service (as it has been since 1974) to be problematic for the LDS church.
_Mormonicious
_Emeritus

Post by _Mormonicious »

Stories like this make you angry, sad and vengeful.

Angry that the Holy Toaster failed in its mission to warn Mormon man god's sales force of the pending danger.

Sad that innocent people are killed and injured in Religious wars and intolerance. Religion drive Politics which drives Hatred with drives acts of violence.

And Vengeful to god. Screw you GOD or Hasa Diga Eebowai. What the “F” good is god?
Revelation 2:17 . . give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it. Thank Google GOD for her son eBay, you can now have life eternal with laser engraving. . oh, and a seer stone and save 10% of your life's earning as a bonus. See you in Mormon man god Heaven Bitches!!. Bring on the Virgins
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

There are always people in the wrong place at the wrong time. Mormons are not exempt from this. Too bad Donald Dump is not President. Then, it NEVER would have happened because he is so "winning".
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

sock puppet wrote:
pashaman wrote:my European mission was an essential part of my waking up from the Mormon (and American) indoctrination I was fed while growing up.

This seems to be a fairly common consequence of an American serving an LDS mission, particularly a foreign one. While an LDS mission experience sets the LDS hook deeper in some, in many others it is the repellent to LDS/American exceptionalism. For the GAs it is hard to imagine--for each of them that served an LDS mission, it is a hook deepening experience. They cannot relate to those of us for whom it was a key repellent. So until the time when the collateral damage to LDS activity grows further among RMs, I doubt that the GAs will perceive broad-based mission service (as it has been since 1974) to be problematic for the LDS church.

Very interesting comments, Sock. I wonder what the variables are that account for the discrepancy in reactions.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov