Runnels SP denies request for signer/interpreter

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Runnels SP denies request for signer/interpreter

Post by _I have a question »

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEMEePXHCQg/

"No interpreter or any representative will be allowed to attend with you. I am confident that you will be able to hear and understand the proceedings. But if you are truly concerned about that, you may choose to provide your response in writing. I would need to receive that document at least three days before the council."
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Re: Runnels SP denies request for signer/interpreter

Post by _Sethbag »

Meh. He wants to play their game, with their ball, but according to his rules.

Dude, it's their ball. You either play by their rules, or you go home and play your own game by your own rules. It's your call.
Mormonism ceased being a compelling topic for me when I finally came to terms with its transformation from a personality cult into a combination of a real estate company, a SuperPac, and Westboro Baptist Church. - Kishkumen
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

I have a question wrote:https://www.instagram.com/p/BEMEePXHCQg/

"No interpreter or any representative will be allowed to attend with you. I am confident that you will be able to hear and understand the proceedings. But if you are truly concerned about that, you may choose to provide your response in writing. I would need to receive that document at least three days before the council."

When did Runnells become a Foundation?

How many people are building professional exmo careers and organizations? Lackluster Mormon to hot property Exmo is a rags to riches story? He's taking Dehlin lessons?
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Post by _Sethbag »

Maksutov wrote:
I have a question wrote:https://www.instagram.com/p/BEMEePXHCQg/

When did Runnells become a Foundation?

How many people are building professional exmo careers and organizations? Lackluster Mormon to hot property Exmo is a rags to riches story? He's taking Dehlin lessons?

Add another entry into my book of life's missed opportunities.
Mormonism ceased being a compelling topic for me when I finally came to terms with its transformation from a personality cult into a combination of a real estate company, a SuperPac, and Westboro Baptist Church. - Kishkumen
_fetchface
_Emeritus

Post by _fetchface »

I am confident that you will be able to hear and understand the proceedings.

By the power of the priesthood, I declare that you will be able to hear everything!
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My Blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I've never seen JR need an interpreter for anything. This is a first for dramatic ex-Mo effect!

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Sethbag wrote:Meh. He wants to play their game, with their ball, but according to his rules.

Dude, it's their ball. You either play by their rules, or you go home and play your own game by your own rules. It's your call.

Jeremy lost half of his hearing six months ago. Even with cochlear implants, Jeremy is legally deaf.
Now, he faces excommunication. He's asked to have a deaf interpreter. [from OP source]

Seth, I agree with you in theory. But in any human interaction, regardless of who has the power, there are certain expectations of a basic fairness. On the other hand, legally deaf doesn't always mean you can't hear anything, so maybe the SP feels the request is legitimately unnecessary based on his personal experience with JR. But what could possibly be the harm in allowing for full communication unimpaired by his hearing loss?

However, speaking from a PR standpoint, surely the SP could have predicted that his written response would go on the internet and he would look like a dick. Do these people never think?
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

I don't think it matters whether or not he has an interpreter as the decision to excommunicate has already been decided by Nelson ... er .... his SP .... I mean the LORD. Anyway, Dehlin is advising him for P.R. effect, so it seems. Well, I say give the church of p.r. some real P.R. nightmares. Let the holy church p.r. machine suffer a little bit while it gropes to find just the right perception management to this lovely problem of its own creation. Why they are even contemplating excommunicating a poor deaf, lowly member that simply had a few questions that cannot be answered in any faithful way is beyond me. Does the church of p.r. want to inflict p.r. pain on itself? Or is it just that Jack A$$ Nelson asserting his newly found power? I think the latter (and probably the p.r. guys begged Nelson to relent on this until after the last conference had passed) Is Nelson the new grizzly bear that cannot be stage managed?
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_annie
_Emeritus

Post by _annie »

I think it's a reasonable request given that there will be 12 + people in the room and Runnels may struggle to follow the dialogue, particularly if there are interruptions/digressions. Lip-reading in a one-on-one situation is much easier than in a meeting where people may mumble or speak over each other.
_fetchface
_Emeritus

Post by _fetchface »

Lemmie wrote:However, speaking from a PR standpoint, surely the SP could have predicted that his written response would go on the internet and he would look like a dick. Do these people never think?

That right there is what gets me.

When you are convinced that your gut instinct is God talking to you, you get all sorts of results that a normal thinking person would easily avoid.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My Blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/