Not one apostle attends Africa temple ground breaking

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

Not one apostle attends Africa temple ground breaking

Post by _Sanctorian »

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=39380446&nid=1284&title=lds-church-breaks-ground-on-durban-south-africa-temple

At the groundbreaking for South Africa’s second temple, Elder Carl B. Cook of the Seventy and president of the Church’s Africa Southeast Area presided

I don't know how normal that is, but I did find it odd that it wasn't presided by an apostle.
I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Re: Not one apostle attends Africa temple ground breaking

Post by _Maksutov »

They should have opened a mall or a bank. :lol:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

It's probably the members in south africa who are to blame for this one. The members are always at fault for being raped at BYU and for not having at least an apostle to preside at their ground-breaking down there.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Behold, I the Lord command my servants to hold their peace and not enter into dark Africa wherein the curse of Cain still resides until I come in my glory. Therefore, I the Lord, command my servants to send a representative to speak flattering words to my dark saints and promise them that the Lord in his goodness will raise them up at the last day wherein they no longer will be slaves but will enter into my rest in a state of glory to reside with my choice servants.

Amen.

_Enzo the Baker
_Emeritus

Post by _Enzo the Baker »

The Apostles were not guaranteed that both active members in that temple district would show up, so why send a bigwig?
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

To be fair, it could also be the fact that the apostles are all getting up there in age, and it just isn't as easy for them to travel like that anymore. That is a pretty rough trip for a Senior Citizen. Hell, I wouldn't want to do it, and I'm 52!
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _Mittens »

Enzo the Baker wrote:The Apostles were not guaranteed that both active members in that temple district would show up, so why send a bigwig?

The Africans are the people who were non-valiant in the mythical pre-existent . So why even build them a temple :lol:

countries
"This privilege of obtaining a mortal body on this earth is seemingly so priceless that those in the spirit world, even though unfaithful or not valient, were undoubtedly permitted to take mortal bodies although under penalty of racial or physical or nationalistic limitations...." (Decisions for Successful Living pp 164-165) TLDP: 497- Harold B. Lee

“There is no truth more plainly taught in the Gospel than that our condition in the next world will depend upon the kind of lives we live here. …Is it not just as reasonable to suppose that the conditions in which we now live have been determined by the kind of lives we lived in the pre-existent world of spirits? That the apostles understood this principle is indicated by their question to the Master when the man who was blind from his birth was healed of his blindness, ‘Master, who did sin, this man or his parents that he was born blind?’ (John 9:2.) Now perhaps you will have a partial answer to some of your questions as to why, if God is a just Father, that some of his children are born of an enlightened race and in a time when the Gospel is upon the earth, while others are born of a heathen parentage in a benighted, backward country; and still others are born to parents who have the mark of a black skin with which the seed of Cain were cursed and whose descendants were to be denied the rights of the priesthood of God”
(Harold B. Lee, Decisions for Successful Living, pp. 164-165).

Is there reason then why the type of birth we receive in this life is not a reflection of our worthiness or lack of it in the pre‑existent life? We must accept the justice of God. He is fair to all. With that in mind, we can account in no other way for the birth of some of the children of God in darkest Africa, or in flood‑ridden China, or among the starving hordes of India, while some of the rest of us are born in the United States? We cannot escape the conclusion that because of performance in our pre‑existence some of us are born as Chinese, some as Japanese, some as Indians, some as Negroes, some as Americans, some as Latter‑day Saints. There are rewards and punishments, fully in harmony with His established policy in dealing with sinners and saints, rewarding all according to their deeds.

Mark E. Petersen, Race Problems as they Affect the Church
Last edited by Guest on Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Justice = Getting what you deserve
Mercy = Not getting what you deserve
Grace = Getting what you can never deserve
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Jesse Pinkman wrote:To be fair, it could also be the fact that the apostles are all getting up there in age, and it just isn't as easy for them to travel like that anymore. That is a pretty rough trip for a Senior Citizen. Hell, I wouldn't want to do it, and I'm 52!

You might not know it, but in October they got three youngsters added to the corp that haven't seen Jumping Jesus Flash but masquerade around with the title 'apostle'.
_Polygamy-Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy-Porter »

Likely a tiny mini Mc'Temple.

Just for show. To keep the white american tithes flowing.
New name: Boaz
The most viewed "ignored" poster in Shady Acres® !
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

You have to say that this is a bit of a snub for South Africa.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')